Setting up p90s?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 854
    edited May 6
    robgilmo said:
    So wpould it be prudent to set the poles at the same radius of the strings then adjust PU height as a base? With a view to adjusting the poles again to achieve the tone? I want to steer towards bite and clarity rather than warmth? Assuming the higher the poles the more trebel and mids and taking into consideration a balance across the strings?

Edit, I take it straight into a clean amp is best for PU setting, or , should I set them up with the amp and pedals as I usually play?
    Ive been playing with my P90 heights and pole pieces a lot....

I dont like the pole pieces staggered personally.  I much prefer them the same height (caveat here - my fretboard radius is 12" to 14" compound, so pretty flat anyway at the pickup location) - and generally wound down into the bobbin.  you get more power with the pole pieces raised  - but the tone is generally the same for any given gap from pole piece top to string (or so Im hearing).  so if the tone is right, but the OP low - wind the pole pieces down and bring pickup up - if there too hot, you can lower the PU and raise the pole pieces to compensate - resulting in the same tone but less power.  This may not be what should happen - its just what Im hearing when I play. 

they are different to other PUs though where height is concerned- the higher they are the more Low to low mid focussed they are  (they appear to loose treble but its more likely the lower freq are overpowering the treble) and fatter.  For a brighter sound with more attack and a more open sound, lower them.  That said, there is a "window" where the output level results in an aggressive articulate sound.  Higher and they get too mushy in the lows and loose definition - too low and while clear and articulate they appear a little flat sounding dynamically.  Again - just what Im hearing.  

I also find there is way more change in tone, compression, and dynamics when altering PU and screw heights than any other PU type. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom