Comments

• BobHillmanBobHillman Frets: 165
    edited May 7
    It says that all hardware is "vintage spec'd Fender", but I don't recall ever seeing a Fender bridge with compensated saddles.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2417
    Fake serial on bridge and neck plate too. Neck not a fender, decal fake....even the 'Japan' on the neck is fake. Long since given up reporting to Reverb because they really don't know what is correct and what is not. 
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2469
    To be fair the description makes it pretty clear it's a partscaster. 
    The neck could well be genuine, there were some MIJ Esquires around '85. 
    I'd view the compensated saddles as a plus. 
    I wouldn't pay £1k for it though, more like half that
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I have a mid 80’s mij esquire.  The neck is nothing like that and certainty not a v profile. 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4013
    At first I thought it might be a Squier Esquire but they look better.
    edited May 8
    strtdv said:
    To be fair the description makes it pretty clear it's a partscaster. 
    The neck could well be genuine, there were some MIJ Esquires around '85. 
    I'd view the compensated saddles as a plus. 
    I wouldn't pay £1k for it though, more like half that
    Don't be daft, its pretty worrying you think that neck is a MIJ from the 80's. Thanks for proving my point.
    Look and learn guys...

https://www.alston-family.co.uk/MIJ%20Tels/tes.php
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PALPAL Frets: 543
    One to avoid !
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10818
    tFB Trader
    Its Gobsmacking how much moody crap is on Reverb these days ... it's rivalling eBay

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1904
    'I tried to acquire a Squier Esquire from a Squire' would be a hell of a tongue twister
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12079
    'I tried to acquire a Squier Esquire from a Squire' would be a hell of a tongue twister
    Shouldn't that be "I tried to acquier a Squier Esquier"? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1538
    As far as I was aware Fender Japan necks in the mid 80s were all heal adjustment for the truss rod and the fret wire is too wide too. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10818
    tFB Trader
    euan said:
    As far as I was aware Fender Japan necks in the mid 80s were all heal adjustment for the truss rod and the fret wire is too wide too. 
    as far as I know ... yep ... and that looks a lot like my 90s Squire Tele neck.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• euaneuan Frets: 1538
    edited May 10
    euan said:
    I asked for a picture of the neck heel…he gave me a serial number that matched the one of the bridge. Necks of that vintage don’t have a serial number on them, just a date.
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3156
    edited May 10
    Fluff has an an entire series dedicated to crap you can find on Reverb, like Les Pauls that have been routed out completely so that there is no maple cap left, just a huge swimming pool, which is then covered by a plastic usually single ply scratch plate.

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19129
    ^  Don't knock the pool rout(e)  ;)

euan said:
    euan said:
    I asked for a picture of the neck heel…he gave me a serial number that matched the one of the bridge. Necks of that vintage don’t have a serial number on them, just a date.
    Serial on bridge is fake too. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72740
    Slot head neck, bridge and pickup height screws. Wrong for any variant of what this is purporting to be, but could have come from a '52RI Tele.

I would be very interested to see if it has a neck pickup rout... Japanese Esquires do - I had one, which I fitted a stealth neck pickup to - but the Squier Custom Esquire a friend just bought does not, and just about everything about this one apart from the decals and the replacement bridge looks very like it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4220
    Bloody hell, someone like me would have been totally conned I don’t know much about fake fenders