Sweet low gain drive suggestions

What's Hot
jim_crossjim_cross Frets: 18
in FX
I’m looking for an always on drive pedal to add a touch of grit to my 64 Deluxe Reverb for Americana/modern country. Looking for something very open that doesn’t cut much bass, doesn’t have too much of a mid hump and stays sweet rather than getting too crunchy when digging in.
My MXR Timmy is the closest I’ve got so far. Duke of Tone is close but cuts too much bass for this use
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12452
    Thorpy peacekeeper, best OD pedal ever with my princeton, only thing that sounds better is no OD pedal with an attenuator.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7596
    ThorpyFX Peacekeeper
    Mad Professor Royal Blue Overdrive
    Barber Gain Changer 
    Greer Lightspeed 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • topdog91topdog91 Frets: 364
    These threads always turn into recommending what we own, so you'll finish up with recommendations for everything. Mine: Wampler Tumnus Deluxe.
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2335
    Mine Wampler paisley (which i am selling but it totally does that sound beautifully..)
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9917
    I always liked the Joyo Sweet Baby into Fender style amps, it's based on the Mad Professor Sweet Honey I believe so I'll suggest that
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17702
    tFB Trader
    Good recommendations already but I'd also suggest a Liquid Sunshine MKII although they are hard to find.

Laney TI Boost is good as well
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 953
    Lunastone Smooth Drive is wonderful. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2378
    DOD Looking Glass
    Wampler Belle
  • ShipwreckShipwreck Frets: 64
    edited May 9
    I never turn my Fairfield Circuitry Barbershop off. Also one of those pedals where I keep almost everything at 'noon' which is a good sign. It feels different to most ODs I've used - something in the "texture" - but it certainly fulfills what you've described. Makes everything sound a bit more exciting but isn't particualrly gainy. No idea how it plays with different rigs but worth checking out 
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1176
    edited May 9
    Can't really go wrong with any of the Boss OD triumvirate.  OD3, SD1 or BD2.  But your Timmy should be more than good enough.
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 273
    edited May 9
    1. My standard answer - 4 knob TC Spark Booster - great EQ options and everything just sounds better.
    2. EQD Special Cranker is also great for light grit with no loss of bass (does lots of grit too if you wan it)
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12968
    Princeton Reverb owner here and you basically just described the tones I like. My favourites are:

ODR-1
    EQD Special Cranker
    Way Huge Red Llama

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3920
    topdog91 said:
    These threads always turn into recommending what we own, so you'll finish up with recommendations for everything. Mine: Wampler Tumnus Deluxe.
    Mid hump alert
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3920
    Kingsley Page
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WeZ84WeZ84 Frets: 168
    The low gain side on the Hudson Broadcast.
    The low cut knob lets you dial in how much bass gets cut. 

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6770
    edited May 9
    Origin Effects Revival Drive Compact. Versatile as anything and has loads of uses. However if you need something with fewer applications, best options are listed already. 
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 328
    I can second a few of the recommendations above:

DOD Looking Glass
    Mad Professor Royal Blue

and any Nobels ODR-1 variant with bass cut or a bass control, is also a good choice. For me, personally, the Thorpy Peacekeeper didn't really do it for me (although I have and like several of his other pedals very much).

Or, you might want to try a compressor that can boost a little bit and/or add grit, which might also do what you want in terms of sustain, and a bit of "driven amp" feel under the fingers.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3674
    If you're looking for something which is amazing value for money, look at the full size TC Spark Booster. You can get grit through to dirt at unity up to VERY loud in either "mid", "fat" or "clean" (transparent) EQs. They're been seen new for £30 occasionally.

The other option I've had, but moved on, though MUCH rarer is the Barber Gain Changer.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6121
    MUCH rarer is the Barber Gain Changer.

You can order direct from David Barber in US, delivery is speedy. http://www.barberelectronics.com/gainchanger.html

The Boss SD-2 using the low gain Crunch channel does a glorious, sparkly, edge of break up sound.
  • Fiddlesticks_Fiddlesticks_ Frets: 276
    jim_cross said:
    My MXR Timmy is the closest I’ve got so far.
    What is it about the Timmy that doesn’t quite do it for you? Just curious as it’s often recommended for this application too.