Dumble on TPS

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3905
    sweepy said:
    Just a terrible missed opportunity, to say that things like comparisons weren’t  in the spirit etc from Mick Taylor is utter bollocks imho 
    I don't agree. They've been very lucky to have RF on the show and lend them his rare, expensive amp.

It wouldn't have been very classy to shoot it out with their own amps and have everyone commenting that they prefer Hot Rod Deluxes etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6844
    DesVegas said:
    soma1975 said:
    It's more a chance to play a piece of history as opposed to finding out if it is worth it over a clone.

Annoyed they didn't try Kill Your Television on it. 
    Neds Atomic Dustbin?
    Exactly. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 255
    By strange coincidence there was a new edition of 'Shred With Shifty' this week with Richie Sambora, who revealed that Robben Ford loaned him the Dumble when he was making his first solo album.
  • pluckbuddypluckbuddy Frets: 299
    RF is living in the UK now - maybe we'll see the amp here in the classified when he sees how much a house and/or pint costs :) 

Kidding - he's probably a wine drinker. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • drpbierdrpbier Frets: 228
    soma1975 said:
    It's more a chance to play a piece of history as opposed to finding out if it is worth it over a clone.

Annoyed they didn't try Kill Your Television on it. 
    Don't think I've ever seen a Ned's reference on a message board before. Impressively obscure.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4305
    I agree with @Lebarque , it would have been disrespectful to say to RF, 'oh by the way we've A/B'd it with Mick's TR'

I first became intrigued by the Dumble sound in 1981. I was a fan of Hill Street Blues on TV at the time and you can hear Larry Carlton's very distinctive tone on the theme tune. I became a tlot more interested when first saw Matt Schofield playing a TR live and spent a lot of time on TAG reading and absorbing the details as they emerged from the various de-goopings.

I built my Ceriatone OTS in 2008 and have modded it a bit, I have also owned two other Dumble inspired amps, a Redplate Blackverb and a CarolAnn OD3. My conclusions from listening and playing this style of amp is that it's for an 'artist', a competent player who plays as the single guitarist in a band. The lead channel is great for that, playing lead, but it's not so good for crunch/distortion rhythm playing. They also need to be loud to get the best out of them, witness the 105dB in the TPS recording. The clean channel is an excellent pedal platform for all manner of dirt pedals and that's where I go when I want Marshall crunch tones.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • manwithaplanmanwithaplan Frets: 8
    I for one was totally blown away by the Dumble as played and recorded (excellent and really impressive job btw).  Everything played was glorious, but the really exceptional section for me was Dan's Tele through it, played clean. Wow,  Totally revealing, rich, touch sensitive and loaded tone.  I've never heard Dan play like that (awesome btw) either and his reaction said it all.  What is it they say, never meet your heroes?  Well, the guys met the Dumble and to my ears, quite remarkably, it delivered!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 996
    I found this “Music made with the world famous Dumble Amplifiers” Playlist on Spotify: https://spotify.link/grJxxHoaCJb

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14452
    tFB Trader
    newi123 said:
    What I really got from this video was its time for Robben to let his hair just be grey and do up his top button. 

100% and I'm a RF fan
  • strat84strat84 Frets: 322
    Lovely playing @JakeLoosemore, really enjoyed the clean stuff, Charlie's as well!  
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3337
    hywelg said:
    I agree with @Lebarque , it would have been disrespectful to say to RF, 'oh by the way we've A/B'd it with Mick's TR'

On reflection, it's a good point. It's just my eagerness to get that sort of tone on a budget, preferably from a pedal!

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1947
    Kebabkid said:
    hywelg said:

On reflection, it's a good point. It's just my eagerness to get that sort of tone on a budget, preferably from a pedal!

Have you seen John Cordys video on the Dumble tone he put up last week? Worth checking out.
  • JakeLoosemoreJakeLoosemore Frets: 78
    strat84 said:
    Lovely playing @JakeLoosemore, really enjoyed the clean stuff, Charlie's as well!  
    Thanks man, really appreciate that! It was an absolute pleasure to be part of that video.

I help out with filming etc at TPS, so was also there for the Robben interview and the main thing I took away from it was just how in control of his right hand he is at all times, his dynamics and variation of pick attack are like nothing I’ve ever seen!!

Lebarque said:
    sweepy said:
    Just a terrible missed opportunity, to say that things like comparisons weren’t  in the spirit etc from Mick Taylor is utter bollocks imho 
    I don't agree. They've been very lucky to have RF on the show and lend them his rare, expensive amp.

It wouldn't have been very classy to shoot it out with their own amps and have everyone commenting that they prefer Hot Rod Deluxes etc.
    This is also spot on - we didn’t want to compare Robben’s ODS to anything for a couple of reasons…

1.) It felt as if it would’ve been disrespectful, and not in the spirit of the show.
    2.) Truly nothing any of us have played compares to that amp and cab combination anyway. That isn’t to say that it’s “better” or that I’d prefer to own that amp than others that are available, it’s simply that it’s very much its own thing and is incredibly unique, as most Dumbles are. As Robben said, it’s like a person!
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1371
    edited May 16
    Lebarque said:
    sweepy said:

I'll have to respectfully disagree here Lebarque. If the tone from the amp is that unassailable why the insecurity? If is truly is that jaw-dropping you, I, Robben or whoever should be able to plug into the thing and go ... well.. yeah.. there's no question. It's not a question of table manners, etc... it should be patently obvious to everyone hearing the thing that to even consider pitting a PCB boarded mass production amp against it was a bad idea right?

Personally I'd love to have heard the conversation recorded at the Little Chef on the way home between Mick and the other guy about what they really thought of it and in comparison to other rigs they've played thru. 

And yes - I couldn't get over the hair dye thing either. Ridiculous. Do a Jon Bon Jovi  and grow old gracefully.  
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3337
    edited May 17
    dious said:
    Kebabkid said:
    hywelg said:

Have you seen John Cordys video on the Dumble tone he put up last week? Worth checking out.
    I have and as always, he sounded great and nice playing, too. However, it's funny as what JC says about his experiences with Dumble-type' amps resonated with me but it's 'Dumble type' pedals, particularly the Zendrive, and that's the pedal that has worked for him. For me, the Zendrive was a lead tone pedal that worked well but fell down when it came to rhythm - too barky.

So, is it all about the mids?
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3409
    edited May 17
    duotone said:
    I found this “Music made with the world famous Dumble Amplifiers” Playlist on Spotify: https://spotify.link/grJxxHoaCJb

None of that music does anything for me tbh. I can cross 'play through a Dumble' off my bucket list.

'Dumble tone', 'original klon', '59 burst' etc are being added to a list of increasingly irrelevant anachronisms in my book. Joe Bo is welcome to them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Josh_CoskuJosh_Cosku Frets: 181
    I asked a question under the video about Two Rock comparison and Mick was very nice to answer it. 

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12683
    Well, I watched it.

And I listened to the recorded sounds generated by it.

Unquestionably a great sounding amp. 

Unique?

No. Sorry - that part of all this does not come across in the audio, at all and I'm not convinced by the statement its a unique tone. I know that much has been said about each one being 'different' but tbh, it didn't sound *that* different to the one I've been in the same room as. Its a Hot-Rod Fender tone, with more mids and a lot of detail... much like some of the *original* Boogies and many other Fender-based amps. As Robben himself says, Dumble started with the Bassman schematic and tweaked it from there... as have a gazillion other folks. Its an evolution, deffo - but equally, its not a blank sheet of paper either.

A great deal of this will be the whole "I'm playing through Robben Ford's Dumble" psychoacoustic thing - if you want to believe its the greatest amp tone, it will be. I'm fairly sure, though, you could dial in some fairly similar sounds through some other amps and switch between them without being able to pick out the Dumble for sure. Especially using the same cabinet. 

Its a fun video and as I say, its a great sounding amp.  

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• SupportactSupportact Frets: 1007
    Great amp, great player. I've never really looked into the Dumble thing,  apart from being aware of their rarity/value/notoriety on guitar forums.  One of my favourite overdrive pedals is the Zendrive, and although not the same I can see it has that similar voicing. So it's interesting to hear this amp, the thing it's apparently based on. You can set it to just add a bit of bite but still stay clear and articulate.