Saw a huge Asian Hornet in my garden.

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6195
Damn it was massive and a mean looking mofo. Black and orange. It landed on a a border edging and was only there for a few seconds before heading off. I've never seen a wasp/hornet as big before even compared to those big fat wasps you see in early summer that are looking to build nests.
This was in Stafford.
Reported it on the Great British Non Native Species Secretariat website.
Any of you folks spotted one of these?
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12007
    Identify & Report Asian Hornet | British Beekeepers Association (bbka.org.uk)

This has some more details for anyone interested
    beekeepers don't like them
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2370
    We just had a European version in one of the bedrooms. Evil looking biggie. Was. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 745
    My mate got stung on the top of his head and ended up looking like Dan Aykroyd in coneheads. 
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10297
    edited May 13
    I read they're pretty docile unless attacked and wasps are meant to be worse. But still, no thanks. I'd run away. 
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 326
    Caught one in Cornwall a couple of years back. Don't think of them as big wasps; more like a small drone with offensive capabilities. UK climate is becoming more amenable to these things so give it a couple of years and we'll be guarding our picnic sandwiches with 9mm autos.
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 870
    The Great British Non Native Species Secretariat sounds like something out of an Alan Moore comic.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 867
    It could be worse ... imagine one of these bad boys suddenly turns up unannounced :anguished: 

I remember seeing a documentary and film footage a few years ago about the Asian giant hornet and the factoid I retain is that a handful of these terminators can wipe out an entire bees nest in under half an hour!

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4816
    stufisher said:
    It could be worse ... imagine one of these bad boys suddenly turns up unannounced :anguished: 

I remember seeing a documentary and film footage a few years ago about the Asian giant hornet and the factoid I retain is that a handful of these terminators can wipe out an entire bees nest in under half an hour!

I've seen a few of those in my south coast garden, but it's not an Asian hornet (nor is it real size, thank goodness!) :-) 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8029
    stufisher said:

Please tell me that’s an AI generated image….
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 867
    Probably ... but here's a Nat Geo video that shows them at their baddest. It's not the docu I referred to earlier but it's still edifying methinks:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12048
    I think I saw the Asian variety last summer in our Cotswold village.  It didn't hang around long enough for me to properly ID it but it was big, orange rather than yellow and it looked like it wouldn't take much to get it pissed off. 
  • MaakMaak Frets: 86
    TheMarlin said:
    stufisher said:

That looks like a plastic toy?  Looking at thickness of the wings, and where the wings attach to the body
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10297
    stufisher said:

Oh lovely, a new phobia locked.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1818
    We had one here in West Wales last week - wife found it in the washing that had come off the washing line - she's managed to get it into a tub (with a lid) and then screamed to me!! Evil looking bastard thing...(the hornet!!) 'kin huge too, seemed pretty docile really but wouldn't want to chance it.

If I'd had my way/chance I'd have killed the bastard with a big mallet...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6758
    edited May 14
    snowblind said:
    so give it a couple of years and we'll be guarding our picnic sandwiches with 9mm autos.
    We have to guard our picnic sandwiches from seagulls using 9mm autos. Brighton sucks. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2800
    If it’s a big mf … then it’s not Asian, they are actually quite small,  the European more docile ones are the bigger ones.

the Asian doesn’t have big yellow bands, more black with a small orange bum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12007
    Maak said:
    TheMarlin said:
    stufisher said:

That looks like a plastic toy?  Looking at thickness of the wings, and where the wings attach to the body
    First thought I had was the wings look plastic.
    Could an insect that size fly???

anyway - who on earth would want one of these?
    asian giant hornet toy Promotions (he-jsa.buzz)

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6195
    sev112 said:
    If it’s a big mf … then it’s not Asian, they are actually quite small,  the European more docile ones are the bigger ones.

the Asian doesn’t have big yellow bands, more black with a small orange bum
    Certainly the one I spotted was black ahd orange. Quite striking actually. Certainly, in all my years of gardening I've nowt seen anything like this bugger.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5814
    Had a nest of those evil orange barstards in our house last year. They’re incredibly fast, very noisy, evil and totally unwelcome. That said, once you’ve shut yourself in a room with four or five of them to get rid, wasps start looking really cute. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom