Saw a huge Asian Hornet in my garden.

What's Hot

Comments

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1831
    sev112 said:
    If it’s a big mf … then it’s not Asian, they are actually quite small,  the European more docile ones are the bigger ones.

the Asian doesn’t have big yellow bands, more black with a small orange bum
    Ah, ok, ours was a big beastie with orange bands, so European.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1831
    Yep, definitely an European one, like a flying traffic cone!!
  • breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    Interesting thread.

I moved  to Cornwall last October, and have caught and released 4 hornets in the past fortnight.

All were caught downstairs, which gives me a crumb of comfort at bedtime 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12281
    First thought I had was the wings look plastic.
    Could an insect that size fly???

Giant insects were a thing in prehistoric times.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7505
    If it was huge, are you sure it was an Asian hornet? 

I've never seen an Asian one, but i do see quite a few European hornets on the allotment, although it's a bit early at the moment, I see them more in summer. Note that our hornet is bigger than the Asian one, and does look different. Asian ones are not hugely commonplace I think, and don't tend to survive colder climes up North. 

Essential reading in interest of avoiding instances of people killing our own hornets, which has occurred here. https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/wildlife/how-identify/have-you-found-hornet

Increase in number of wildflowers has also brought about my first ever sighting of a hornet mimic hover fly last year! That was super cool, not sure whether they are rare but I'd never seen one before. 
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7505
    equalsql said:
    sev112 said:
    If it’s a big mf … then it’s not Asian, they are actually quite small,  the European more docile ones are the bigger ones.

Certainly the one I spotted was black ahd orange. Quite striking actually. Certainly, in all my years of gardening I've nowt seen anything like this bugger.

Missed this, could have been an Asian hornet, but they're really not that big, which is throwing me off a bit. I'm not an expert though - some of my colleagues can identify different insects by the sound they make! 

Definitely good to report - it's worth taking photos etc as there is a lot of scope for mistakes. I reported my first invasive last year - Chinese mitten crabs, coming up the fen drains and up the ouse. No mistaking those, they're called mitten crabs for a reason! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12068

I Know, but I vaguely recall that was possible because oxygen was a higher percentage of air, and the insect breathing system worked on a larger scale (spiracles was it?)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

I Know, but I vaguely recall that was possible because oxygen was a higher percentage of air, and the insect breathing system worked on a larger scale (spiracles was it?)
    I suspect they could still fly - the air hasn't changed that much - but yes possibly not breathe well.

In the Jurassic Park novels there are lots of mentions about how much many of the animals they have bred simply struggle to breathe in our modern world.

Sadly, as the concept of getting prehistoric DNA is debunked at this point, nobody will ever see a T-Rex without a time machine, which also probably can't exist... sigh.
  • breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    edited May 14

I Know, but I vaguely recall that was possible because oxygen was a higher percentage of air, and the insect breathing system worked on a larger scale (spiracles 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19293
    equalsql said:
    sev112 said:

Certainly the one I spotted was black ahd orange. Quite striking actually. Certainly, in all my years of gardening I've nowt seen anything like this bugger.

Missed this, could have been an Asian hornet, but they're really not that big, which is throwing me off a bit. I'm not an expert though - some of my colleagues can identify different insects by the sound they make! 

Definitely good to report - it's worth taking photos etc as there is a lot of scope for mistakes. I reported my first invasive last year - Chinese mitten crabs, coming up the fen drains and up the ouse. No mistaking those, they're called mitten crabs for a reason! 
    Along with Signal Crayfish & American Lobsters, I'm sure that if I were in areas affected by them, I would be doing my patriotic best to rid my country of them... yum!
    https://www.newscientist.com/article/2397495-edible-and-delicious-chinese-mitten-crabs-are-invading-the-uk/
    equalsql said:
    sev112 said:

Along with Signal Crayfish & American Lobsters, I'm sure that if I were in areas affected by them, I would be doing my patriotic best to rid my country of them... yum!
    https://www.newscientist.com/article/2397495-edible-and-delicious-chinese-mitten-crabs-are-invading-the-uk/
    The delicious semen of the males awaits your palate my friend.... 
    Ah yes, the 'golden, voluptuous semen'.
    Sounds like one of Trumps old chat up lines... another unwanted invasive nuisance.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ah yes, the 'golden, voluptuous semen'.
    Great name for a band, ironically.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72936
    darthed1981 said:

Yes, it’s basically because insects breathe through their skin, and skin area increases with the square of the dimensions whereas body volume increases by the cube, so there is a limit beyond which the skin area is too small to provide enough oxygen for the size of the body. A higher oxygen concentration increases this. Hence, 75cm-wingspan dragonflies...

They wouldn’t survive, much less be able to fly, at current oxygen levels.

Sadly, as the concept of getting prehistoric DNA is debunked at this point, nobody will ever see a T-Rex without a time machine, which also probably can't exist... sigh.
    “There was a sound of thunder.”

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    darthed1981 said:

Yes, it’s basically because insects breathe through their skin, and skin area increases with the square of the dimensions whereas body volume increases by the cube, so there is a limit beyond which the skin area is too small to provide enough oxygen for the size of the body. A higher oxygen concentration increases this. Hence, 75cm-wingspan dragonflies...

Ray Bradbury was a great writer.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72936

That’s one of the very first sci-fi stories I ever read, at the age of eight - it can’t be the very first, since it’s not the first story in R Is For Rocket, but it’s the first I remember. It made a huge impression on me, and it was only much later that I discovered it’s one of the most important ever written, and coined the term “butterfly effect”.

For anyone not familiar…

https://www.astro.sunysb.edu/fwalter/AST389/ASoundofThunder.pdf

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12384

Signal crayfish are very common here.  People use crayfish pots along many stretches of water but you need a licence to trap the little buggers.  They're bloody delicious though and quite a few small food businesses sell them.

Homer Simpson Drooling GIFs - Find  Share on GIPHY
    As usual with such matters, licensing arrangements are really not straightforward. One might even say prohibitively difficult. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/invasive-alien-species-licence-to-manage-and-control-them-ias-a02
    ICBM said:
    darthed1981 said:

IIRC - he was responsible for the original story that one of my favourite childhood films "The Beast from 20,000 fathoms" was based on, which despite it's dodgy understanding of what a fathom is - remains brilliant to this day.

I think, as I'm sure many here have seen it, that there is a great prequel to be made about that one police officer, who shoots at the dino with his revolver then gets eaten.  That officer would have been a WW2 vet, maybe run away and people died so stood his ground this time, maybe run into another dino...

..copyright ME, right NOW :)