Optimistic eBayer and crimes against dumb guitars

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10738
in Guitar tFB Trader

I was cruising for a cheap backup hollowbody  and found this ...

Belt sander marks under the 'finish' ... crudely plugged holes ... and a RUBBER scratchplate ... 
And £250 ... 
I have a flabby ghast  .... 
Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27714

Belt sander marks under the 'finish' 
    That's the "old fashioned" approach (at least he didn't claim "vintage")

and a RUBBER scratchplate ... 

That's a great mod - it "dampens the knocks of a pick"

I have a flabby ghast  .... 
    Age does that to a man ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72702
    This one keeps popping up on my saved searches - I have a thing for 80s Aria SB basses - and I can never decide if it's tragic that so much damage has been done to such a nice bass, or hilarious that the seller is so utterly delusional. It's been listed at the same ludicrous price with the same awful pics at least a dozen times.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/326122490486

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1490
    ICBM said:
    This one keeps popping up on my saved searches - I have a thing for 80s Aria SB basses - and I can never decide if it's tragic that so much damage has been done to such a nice bass, or hilarious that the seller is so utterly delusional. It's been listed at the same ludicrous price with the same awful pics at least a dozen times.

That motherfucker of a fucking seller...

Bought an amp of mine...Returned it as faulty after dislodging the valve (Milkman 100) and battered on about being a "pro gigging musician" when I asked him about making sure the valve was seated. I refunded him and lost £20 on shipping fee's

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72702
    nero1701 said:

Bought an amp of mine...Returned it as faulty after dislodging the valve (Milkman 100) and battered on about being a "pro gigging musician" when I asked him about making sure the valve was seated. I refunded him and lost £20 on shipping fee's
    I have to admit I've never been sure if he's delusional or a total chancer trying to catch someone who's unaware that not all Aria SBs are worth as much as a SB1000, or how much damage has been done to it.

Given what you've just said I'm now leaning towards the second.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10298
    nero1701 said:
    ICBM said:

But you gained a friend for life I bet. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14592
    a RUBBER scratchplate 
    Is it a Bondage Electraglide?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7430
    According to the label visible through the F-Hole that was a brown sunburst Ibanez AG-75, which is (was) a nice guitar before somebody wrecked it.  What has me puzzled is that whoever committed the atrocities to that guitar so crudely somehow managed to cut out a blanking plate for the bridge pickup cavity fairly accurately.  It's the back of the neck that really annoys me the most.  Why do people feel compelled to remove the lacquer and leave it looking so scabby?  It won't feel any better than the supposedly "sticky" thick poly finish, so why do it?  The person has even sanded the chrome on the trapeze tailpiece through to the copper layer!!
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10738
    tFB Trader

To redress matters here's a pic of my old cream Ibanez ... with my own  mods ... Dynasonic style bridge pickup and P90 neck ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mankytommankytom Frets: 243
    When I see things like this, I hope they have just been in a terrible accident and that someone has tried to salvage it. If somebody has set out to do that… despair..

maybe it plays nicely? 
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4206
    I actually think it looks quite cool, in a ratrod sort of way. And from a distance :)

Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

tFB Trader
    it's the marks that seem to have come from a sanding disc ... under the brush applied (old style apparently) paint ...

Okay if this is what it took to save a damaged guitar ... and you have the craft skills of a sea cucumber, then so be it I suppose   ... but then to ask £250 for the poor abused carcass. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mankytommankytom Frets: 243
    edited May 13
    March said:
    This one is worse! Looks like it’s been in a fire… 

like one of the toys in spike’s room in Toy Story 

it’s screaming “save me”
    tFB Trader
    mankytom said:
    March said:
    This one is worse! Looks like it’s been in a fire… 

like one of the toys in spike’s room in Toy Story 

it’s screaming “save me”
    Dear god!