Epiphone USA Coronet

What's Hot
freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1226
edited May 14 in Guitar
I've just had an email from Peach about a new Epiphone USA Coronet.
https://www.peachguitars.com/epiphone-usa-collection-coronet/
I think they look pretty cool and I'd be interested to try one. Not sure how I feel about the price but I guess it's more realistic than recent Epiphone releases. 
Link to my trading feedback
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14663
    The traditionalist in me would prefer the P90 to be the historically-correct dogear type. 

Better yet, a historically incorrect trio of mini hunbuckers. :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1618
    I guess it’s pretending to be the very early pre dogear Coronet. Although wrong pickup for that too. 

The standard Chinese made version looks very good. I bought one for slide use. Was almost a shame to change the action and string gauge and put it open E as it’s a decent guitar for ‘normal’ use. Fit and finish are very good. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6130
    To ensure impeccable intonation and enhanced playability, the Epiphone Coronet is equipped with a wraparound bridge.

Don't know how a simple bar bridge is going to '
    ensure impeccable intonation'. No mention in the text about the finish, I'd hope a US made Epiphone might have a nitro finish.
  • MSedgMSedg Frets: 124
    Epiphone website says nitro
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6216
    As a Steve Marriott fan, I approve this thread. :grin: 

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14591
    edited May 16 tFB Trader
    JezWynd said:
    To ensure impeccable intonation and enhanced playability, the Epiphone Coronet is equipped with a wraparound bridge.

Don't know how a simple bar bridge is going to 'ensure impeccable intonation'. No mention in the text about the finish, I'd hope a US made Epiphone might have a nitro finish.
    I own an original 64 Epi Coronet with the original wrapover bridge/tailpiece - They are not perfect intonation, if it is an original 'off the shelf' wrapover and you are using a plain G/3rd - However, many 'modern updated' models are machined with a perfect/tweaked intonation 'ridge' for a plain 3rd/G - Barely visible in some cases - Collings use such a wrapover on their 290 models - First glimpse and they look as per any 'old/original' wrapover - But just enough of a correct 'ridge' to use a plain 3rd - Many modern 'replacement' wrapovers will fit and 'correct' such intonation issues if required

I'll post a pic shortly of my original 61 - Neil at @IvisonGuitars borrowed it for a short while to measure all the spec when he built his Filmore Models - I only played 1 or 2 of these, when I saw Neil exhibiting at various shows and interesting to see how he built a better version of the original, based on 'playability'  
    edited May 14 tFB Trader
    I suppose the £1599 price is in keeping with the 'equivalent' Gibson LP Special and I dare say a similar grade of instrument - I've seen/sold a few of these that are pretty handy, if not a DNA Custom Shop replica - But more than adequate and can hold its place in a shoot out - I expect the Epi will be likewise 

I dare say a Custom Shop DNA vintage replica costing 3/4K would not create much interest with the Epi brand name on it
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12235
    Only its' US momma could love it.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3315
    edited May 15
    I’m sure these will be great and when knocked out at a sale price of £1200 we’ll fall over ourselves for them. 

The problem I have though is that in my mind, these look more authentic: 

The cheaper version has got the dog ear p90, doesn’t have the funny looking knobs, has the softer curves and less of a slab body. Probably isn’t authentic to a ‘64 (etc), but looks more appealing and like Steve Marriott’s. 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7092
    tFB Trader
    A customer of mine stripped and refinished a cherry Epiphone Coronet using my lacquer. I refretted it while it was bare wood and I have to say that the quality of the wood was superb, no veneers, just nice even-grained mahogany.

He removed the tacky plate from the headstock, filled the holes and re-logoed it using a vinyl stencil I provided and my bronze lacquer.

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I’m sure these will be great and when knocked out at a sale price of £1200 we’ll fall over ourselves for them. 

The cheaper version has got the dog ear p90, doesn’t have the funny looking knobs, has the softer curves and less of a slab body. Probably isn’t authentic to a ‘64 (etc), but looks more appealing and like Steve Marriott’s. 
    Yes, they have been built more in 'the style off' rather than as a 'DNA Custom Shop replica' - As I mentioned above, it equates to the LP Special TV which is around £1500-ish - Good guitar, but to the purist not a DNA replica 
    edited May 16 tFB Trader
    My original 61 Coronet including the original 'crap' card board case 

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7092
    tFB Trader
    One of my lockdown projects, based on the later asymmetric version with a "batwing" headstock

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23432
    I think the slab body makes the new Epiphone look really ugly.  It looks far better with the more rounded edges like those in most of the pictures here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1226
    This thread has been really interesting.  Thanks guys.  My take is why on earth would they do an inauthentic reissue. I can understand changing the nut width and neck profile if that constitutes an improvement but why the aesthetic changes? It's bizarre! I'm no longer interested in the US model. 
    Link to my trading feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2620
    tFB Trader
    They certainly sound the business.. Just love a nice overdriven P90 sound.....

• BobHillmanBobHillman Frets: 168

The reason that the USA model is different from the Chinese one is because it is based on the very earliest models, like this one (apart from the different pickup) -

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3315
    Probably isn’t authentic to a ‘64 (etc), but looks more appealing and like Steve Marriott’s. 

The reason that the USA model is different from the Chinese one is because it is based on the very earliest models, like this one (apart from the different pickup) -

Thanks, I wasn’t sure of the year it aligned with as an influence. They should make more of that in the marketing tbh, and use a more authentic pickup. 
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3432
    The slab ones are basically two bottom halves of a tele joined in the middle by the look of it. Partially explains why Satellite were warned off making any more a while back.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12697
    Shame they didn't do it properly and fit the mini humbucker as per the original 1958 Coronet... 

Now *that* would be cool - and would make it sonically different to a Les Paul Junior...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom