Epiphone USA Coronet

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6130
    JezWynd said:
    To ensure impeccable intonation and enhanced playability, the Epiphone Coronet is equipped with a wraparound bridge.

Don't know how a simple bar bridge is going to 'ensure impeccable intonation'. No mention in the text about the finish, I'd hope a US made Epiphone might have a nitro finish.
    I own an original 64 Epi Coronet with the original wrapover bridge/tailpiece - They are not perfect intonation, if it is an original 'off the shelf' wrapover and you are using a plain G/3rd - However, many 'modern updated' models are machined with a perfect/tweaked intonation 'ridge' for a plain 3rd/G - Barely visible in some cases - Collings use such a wrapover on their 290 models - First glimpse and they look as per any 'old/original' wrapover - But just enough of a correct 'ridge' to use a plain 3rd - Many modern 'replacement' wrapovers will fit and 'correct' such intonation issues if required

I'll post a pic shortly of my original 64 - Neil at @IvisonGuitars borrowed it for a short while to measure all the spec when he built his Filmore Models - I only played 1 or 2 of these, when I saw Neil exhibiting at various shows and interesting to see how he built a better version of the original, based on 'playability'  
    Interesting, thanks for the info.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

impmann said:
    Shame they didn't do it properly and fit the mini humbucker as per the original 1958 Coronet... 

Now *that* would be cool - and would make it sonically different to a Les Paul Junior...
    From reading ATB link for their 59, the pickup is in fact a single coil. I'd always assumed these were mini hums too.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12697
    JezWynd said:

impmann said:
    Shame they didn't do it properly and fit the mini humbucker as per the original 1958 Coronet... 

Now *that* would be cool - and would make it sonically different to a Les Paul Junior...
    From reading ATB link for their 59, the pickup is in fact a single coil. I'd always assumed these were mini hums too.
    I sit corrected - I always thought they were minibuckers too... but no they are the single coil "New Yorker" pickups. I wonder how different they sound to a P90...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3314
    impmann said:

Clearly a market for Mojo to make an authentic pickup to drop in. 
    impmann said:
    JezWynd said:

impmann said:

I sit corrected - I always thought they were minibuckers too... but no they are the single coil "New Yorker" pickups. I wonder how different they sound to a P90...
    Interesting article about their design from a man who knows his stuff...
    https://www.guitarworld.com/features/the-curious-tale-of-epiphones-own-single-coil-pickups-the-new-yorker
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 859
    Apparently those original New Yorker pickups don’t sound good. They look cool though 
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14585
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    JezWynd said:

impmann said:

koss59 said:
    Apparently those original New Yorker pickups don’t sound good. They look cool though 
    I thought the same - Mini-humbuckers - So we live and learn - But as per Koss59 chat, those single coil NY pick-ups are thin and weedy IMO as per those fitted on the Gibson Melody Maker 
  • MSedgMSedg Frets: 124
    The guy out of the Hives seems to manage without any weediness 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3500
    MSedg said:
    If you read the article above it is says there was no consistency for the New Yorkers, with some built at 3k and others at 8k, different magnets. Maybe the guy from the Hives has a good one or maybe he is such a fantastic guitarist it doesn't matter whether he has a good or not! 

I like the look of both though.  I reckon either the MIC/USA Coronet would be a a lot of fun with a Firebird pickup. 
    tFB Trader
    MSedg said:
    If you read the article above it is says there was no consistency for the New Yorkers, with some built at 3k and others at 8k, different magnets. Maybe the guy from the Hives has a good one or maybe he is such a fantastic guitarist it doesn't matter whether he has a good or not! 

I like the look of both though.  I reckon either the MIC/USA Coronet would be a a lot of fun with a Firebird pickup. 
    Funnily enough, that article was written by a guy called Curtis Novak - About 2 years ago I sold a used mid 60's Epi Olympic  - To all tense and purpose the pick-up looked original - No changes to the mounting, additional woodwork routing etc - So it just looked like the 'Strat' style single coil, pick-up as per the Melody Maker pick-up - But under the bonnet (scratch plate) was a nice update - Called the Curtis Novak MM90 - https://www.curtisnovak.com/shop/mm-90/ - Effectively a wolf in sheep clothing - It sounded so ballsy and yes P90 orientated 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3500
    MSedg said:

Funnily enough, that article was written by a guy called Curtis Novak - About 2 years ago I sold a used mid 60's Epi Olympic  - To all tense and purpose the pick-up looked original - No changes to the mounting, additional woodwork routing etc - So it just looked like the 'Strat' style single coil, pick-up as per the Melody Maker pick-up - But under the bonnet (scratch plate) was a nice update - Called the Curtis Novak MM90 - https://www.curtisnovak.com/shop/mm-90/ - Effectively a wolf in sheep clothing - It sounded so ballsy and yes P90 orientated 
    Yeah he seems to be really well regarded as being a great maker of pickups.
  • TeleguideTeleguide Frets: 27
    My original 64 Coronet including the original 'crap' card board case 

Going by picture surely this is a pre 63 Coronet? A 64 would be asymmetric with the batwing headstock.   

edited May 16 tFB Trader
    Teleguide said:
    My original 64 Coronet including the original 'crap' card board case 

Going by picture surely this is a pre 63 Coronet? A 64 would be asymmetric with the batwing headstock.   

To be honest I don't know why I said 1964 - I have an SG Jnr which is 64 so maybe getting confused - It is actually 1961 - 5 digit number starting 18 - And whilst I can't see both pot dates, one is certainly 61 - Thanks for pointing out my error 

In the words of Mannering, I was waiting to see who would first spot that error
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1504
    I have a 59 Crestwood with those pickups.  The are much more polite than a P-90.  
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 237
    As we've had a '59 and a '61 Epiphone solid body guitar, it would be rude not to include my '60 Coronet too. These seem to be the versions that the non USA reissues were modelled on.
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    As we've had a '59 and a '61 Epiphone solid body guitar, it would be rude not to include my '60 Coronet too. These seem to be the versions that the non USA reissues were modelled on.
    Yours must be one of the last with the 'plate' logo - And mine of the first without it