Bridge pickup grounding on Tele style guitar

What's Hot
YorkieYorkie Frets: 1531
Hi folks, 

I have taken my tele style build apart so I can address a number of shortcomings that have become apparent during my last recording session. 

I have introduced copper foil shielding and now all three cavities are connected and grounded. The one thing that I haven’t decided on yet is what to do about the bridge pickup’s black ground cable. The pickup has a bottom plate and is already grounded via stable contact between bridge plate and cavity shielding. 

I guess my options are 

a) solder that ground cable to a pot case or even the copper foil — but would that create a ground loop? 
b) duct-tape the cable and leave it there in case one day I change the bridge pickup. 
c) snip snip and get rid of the black cable. 

Opinions?

Cheers, 
Jon
Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2971
    tFB Trader
    I like to add a bridge earth, solder it to a pot and you've got a good solid connection. Ground loops aren't a thing in passive guitars far as I can see. Despite a certain article that seems to have made talk of it a thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72912
    Connect it to the volume pot casing.

You can’t create a ground loop in a guitar, that’s not how they occur.

If you are still concerned about it, disconnect the pickup baseplate from the coil. You always want the coil ground connected to the volume pot casing by the shortest path and the fewest potential failure points, as it’s the critical one for the signal. The rest is all just for shielding.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14712
    What selector switch will you be using? CRL 3-way, Schaller Megaswitch 5-way or Freeway 3B3 6-way?

For the Schaller Megaswitch M, circuit diagram SS3, it is necessary to separate the bridge pickup's black output conductor from the copper plate ground. (Snip and bend the jumper connection at the plate end.) 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10964
    tFB Trader
    You may Find ... as with my Tele pickups and all Fender vintage ones - that the black hookup cable continues through the eyelet and is soldered to the baseplate thus connecting it to the ground side of the circuit ... no need for any other connection in that case. 
    And as @ICBM says ... ground loops in guitars are a phallus see?   
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 1531
    Corvus said:
    I like to add a bridge earth, solder it to a pot and you've got a good solid connection. Ground loops aren't a thing in passive guitars far as I can see. Despite a certain article that seems to have made talk of it a thing.
    Thanks. I've got a very basic understanding of electronics; the suggestion that a ground loop may be created by joining the backs of two pots in a tele seemed off, hence my question. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   

ICBM said:
    You always want the coil ground connected to the volume pot casing by the shortest path and the fewest potential failure points, as it’s the critical one for the signal.
    This makes the most sense to me, otherwise I might start worrying about the impact on tone of the different copper foils!  

For the Schaller Megaswitch M, circuit diagram SS3, it is necessary to separate the bridge pickup's black output conductor from the copper plate ground. (Snip and bend the jumper connection at the plate end.) 
    A 5-way oak grisby I think. The typical one you find in strats. 

But I think I'll snip the jumper to let the pickup ground get to ground faster. Then the shielding can all go together at their own pace. 

Yorkie said:

I've got a very basic understanding of electronics; the suggestion that a ground loop may be created by joining the backs of two pots in a tele seemed off, hence my question. 
    A ground loop is created when there are two ground paths of differing lengths and resistances from the input of an amplifier to earth, ie what often happens when you connect two amps in a stereo rig, or a mains-powered effect unit to an amp (if it’s not correctly designed) - this allows a “signal” voltage to be developed from the difference between the two picking up mains hum, which is then amplified.

There is only one ground connection from the guitar to the amp input so a ground loop cannot occur, no matter how many different ground points there are in the guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

The internet is full of phalluses. That's why ChatGPT tells porkies sometimes. 

tFB Trader
    Yorkie said:

The internet is full of phalluses. That's why ChatGPT tells porkies sometimes. 
    Many YouTube 'experts' are in fact giant phalluses :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ok, jumpers gone on both pickups, all shielded, black cables going to a single connection to the back of a pot, a push-pull inverting neck phase, polished frets… sounds and plays killer now. 

Thank you, everyone. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2388
    ^ That looks awesome! It even matches the seat! =)
    You probably didn’t need to take the jumper off the neck pickup, but the side effect is that it might sound better - the cover dulls the tone slightly if electrically connected.

ICBM said:
    You probably didn’t need to take the jumper off the neck pickup, but the side effect is that it might sound better - the cover dulls the tone slightly if electrically connected.
    I think I did, as I wanted to be able to invert the phase, so I ‘sent’ the cover to ground. It does sound incredible now. 

Dave_Mc said:
    Haha, that’s my wife’s doing. Old trousers getting a second life. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Yorkie said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    Haha, that’s my wife’s doing. Old trousers getting a second life. 
    What a brilliant idea! 

Oh, by the way, the slug repellent copper tape I got from The Range works great! No issues with continuity.

Yorkie said:
    Oh, by the way, the slug repellent copper tape I got from The Range works great! No issues with continuity.
    Did you spot-solder across the joins?

No, I tested for continuity and it behaved exactly like my Axetec-bought tape. 

Yorkie said:
    No, I tested for continuity and it behaved exactly like my Axetec-bought tape. 
    You might find that over time as the surfaces corrode slightly that it stops working as well - I've come across that quite often in old shielded guitars. It's not a very big job just to spot-solder it later if it ever becomes an issue though.