Do you eat quickly ?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23430
    I don't know, I've never timed myself.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1994
    I tend to eat fairly slowly because if I bolt it down i get full up too quickly. That wouldn't be good for me because if I get pre-occupied with something I forget to eat and then run out of steam and then end up eating any old rubbish to boost energy levels and that just makes me feel ill. I'm not vegetarian or vegan at all. However, I try to eat whole foods and nothing containing ultra-processed ingredients. Eating rubbish convenience food or anything with sugar in it makes me feel bloated and lethargic. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    I eat slowly so's I can pack more in.
    A trained glutton paces himself.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1865
    It depends. If it is a meal with lots of elements like a decent roast then the slightly frantic attempt to get everything to the table at the same time seems to follow to the eating and I have to slow myself down. By the second plate I'm at a sensible pace.

Some other meals like beans on toast get inhaled without prejudice. No idea why. 

Otherwise, I do try not to go too fast. Maybe this is from being bored waiting for the kids to labour over their meals whilst I finished 10 minutes ago. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 1039
    There's eating fast and then there's this:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1369
    I prefer grazing from a big pot of stuff. 
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1106
    Depends how hungry I am but normally I can eat moderately quickly. I don't like to talk or use my phone whilst eating either. Both things hard to do when you're out with friends and stuff!
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1639
    Wow, isn't there anyone in Spain with basic first aid training in abdominal thrusts (Heimlich manoeuvre) & CPR?
    Scary & shocking (for you too).
    Yeah - but sad moreso than shocking really. The chap was an older man. I think what happened was that his mates (a group of golfers from the UK in fact) thought he was having a heart attack, and by the time the staff came on the scene, they thought he had just passed out, and tried to give him mouth-to-mouth resuscitation and CPR - which obviously wasn't going to get a whole lot of air into his lungs in those circumstances . You'd have thought out of a bunch of half a dozen retired white-collar guys at least one or a couple of them would have had a bit of first aid/first responder training somewhere in the past.

Was all over for the poor guy in a very short space of time. Saddest thing for me was my wife is a trained nurse who's pretty well versed in those situations, and we had no idea what was going on over in the far corner of the restaurant until the paramedics arrived.

I do tend to chew steak a little bit more nowadays. (Or at least when I remember / am told to that is)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3670
    Did you know, apparently people in middle age can mistake thirst for hunger? Something to do with being old and not being able to tell if you are thirsty or not?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14659
    VimFuego said:
    I eat so quick I'm already eating tomorrow's food!
    Infinitely preferable to eating food from two days ago.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7170
    edited May 15
    No, not if I'm eating out. But then it can also depend on who I'm.eating out.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7550
    AK99 said:
    Had the experience of seeing a guy choke due to 'Steak Inhalation' at a restaurant in the South of Spain last year.
    I had a similarly scary experience with my ex-wife once, although the outcome was far better than the poor guy in the restaurant.  She had an asthma attack after gagging on a fairly substantial chunk of meat ;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3333
    I used to wolf it down but PD has stopped that as food can be so slow to go down it can go into lungs and cause pneumonia.

the plus side of this is when I am on OMAD like I currently am I find it quite easy as I just slowly chew and swallow food for about 15-20 mins and it really helps last the 24 hrs.

downsides are slushies and McD milkshakes etc.. are out of the question :(
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12469
    AK99 said:
    Had the experience of seeing a guy choke due to 'Steak Inhalation' at a restaurant in the South of Spain last year. Paramedics were onsite in about 5 mins after the staff and his friends realised what was going on, but sadly it was too late for him. Apparently nowhere near as rare an occurrence as you might think.

I still wolf food down though. Slow learner I guess.

While on a work night out years ago a woman choked on steak which we realised when wine came out of her nose. She was short and round which made it really difficult to attempt the Heimlich manouver.  

She eventually passed out while I was holding her which turned her into a dead weight and we both fell to the floor where she hit her head and the steak flew out and she was fine. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7170
    munckee said:
    AK99 said:
    Had the experience of seeing a guy choke due to 'Steak Inhalation' at a restaurant in the South of Spain last year. Paramedics were onsite in about 5 mins after the staff and his friends realised what was going on, but sadly it was too late for him. Apparently nowhere near as rare an occurrence as you might think.

I still wolf food down though. Slow learner I guess.

While on a work night out years ago a woman choked on steak which we realised when wine came out of her nose. She was short and round which made it really difficult to attempt the Heimlich manouver.  

She eventually passed out while I was holding her which turned her into a dead weight and we both fell to the floor where she hit her head and the steak flew out and she was fine. 

Sounds like a rare occurrence, but well done
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1060
    I have a scatty ring, which is a build up in your pipe making it narrower at a certain point, so food can get stuff there for a while.

I had a camera down as I’d got food stuck a number of times.

Luckily it’s below the lung entrance, so although you think you have a blockage that will kill you, it doesn’t and your body eventually deals with it.

But I suppose it shows how easy it is for people to die from a blockage. I was  around someone’s house one day and it happened. It’s quite traumatic and I ended up on the floor as I thought I’d pass out, I was rubbing my chest for all I was worth, not speaking and the five people there just cracked on with their dinner wondering what was happening to me. 

I honestly think if I had an actual blockage that day I’d have died and they’d have just brought the dessert out and cracked on. 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7550
    Rob1742 said:
    I have a scatty ring .....
    I use wet wipes :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    Adey said:
    Has no one here got any manners?

In company one should not finish eating appreciably earlier than others. It's just polite.

Come on people. Have a little decorum.
    We'd be there all night... disecting peas...
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28949
    I shared a house at uni with a chap who regularly took over an hour to eat a bowl of pasta.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4736
    edited May 17

I have an older brother who when we were young used to steal my food when he finished his.  So I eat pretty quick, just-in-case he appears.  Which granted, is pretty unlikely since I’m 47 and he’s 53 and lives in another town.
    But better safe than sorry.

My cat, Charlie, really does have issues, he  finishes a cat meat pouch in about 30s, but then instantly regrets it.