Beach Boys studio effects collection @ Sweetwater

What's Hot
RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 278
edited May 16 in FX
Benson 'surfs up' amp, JHS 'good vibrations' chorus/vibrato, Keeley 'california girls' 12 string emulator & 'I get around' Rotary emulator, Punchline bass station. USA postage only though 

“Introducing the Beach Boys Studio Effects Collection, a collaboration between the band, and industry leaders JHS, Keeley Electronics, and Benson Amps. A worldwide Sweetwater exclusive, these effects are being released in conjunction with “The Beach Boys,” a brand-new documentary debuting on Disney+ on May 24, 2024. Celebrate the iconic sounds of a legendary American band with The Beach Boys Studio Effects Collection!”

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5472
    edited May 16
    I have a hard time believing all these products won’t be available later on worldwide - rebranded and without the Beach Boys tie-in. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6967
    Just a coincidence it lines up with previous offerings from JHS and Keeley

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 278
    Well, I’m a bit of a beach boys nerd so I’ve got a friend who’s gonna send on the 3 guitar pedals to me. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2340
    I watched Brett Kingman’s demo of the 12-string simulator and thought it sounded appalling - just horrible octave-up pitch shifting.
    Keefy said:
    I watched Brett Kingman’s demo of the 12-string simulator and thought it sounded appalling - just horrible octave-up pitch shifting.
    There’s nothing new in the pedal, but with the blend knob & the slapback sounds like you can get a nice subtle soundscape going. Drop in a plate reverb & instant shoegaze.

I think the rotary simulator sounds great, although not sure when I’d use it. But, still. Beach Boys special edition. I’m in.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2347
    Not aiming this at Bensen or Keeley, but the more JHS do, the less I like the company. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2340
    Keefy said:
    There’s nothing new in the pedal, but with the blend knob & the slapback sounds like you can get a nice subtle soundscape going. Drop in a plate reverb & instant shoegaze.

Maybe so, but if I buy a 12-string simulator pedal, I want it to be able to simulate a 12-string!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27508
    I don’t really see why these are beach boys specific, but the 12-string sim is definitely of interest. I haven’t watched vids yet but the HX one is great and I’m betting this’ll be great 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 927
    I'll definitely watch the documentary I reckon
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12991
    This is the kind of shit that puts me off pedals entirely.

Dubious tie-ins, faux-scarcity, and social media bullshit. It's the unholy trifecta. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • pluckbuddypluckbuddy Frets: 311
    What's the link between the Beach Boys and univibe? Did they use it? 

If have thought a harmoniser and a theremin simulator would've been more fun and closer to the mark... 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12991
    What's the link between the Beach Boys and univibe? Did they use it? 
    It’s just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper collected acorns for winter while the octopus stayed at home watching tv and mooching off his girlfriend. But then the winter came and the grasshopper died and the octopus ate all his acorns. And also he got a race car. Understand?

Me neither.

The Beach Boys didn't use any of this shit.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 687

The Beach Boys didn't use any of this shit.
    Of course they didn’t and who cares? 

If someone is a Beach Boys fan and they can get kit that amounts to merch for the doc, what’s the problem?
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1399
    Somebody over on the gear page has posted something along the lines of this being the high water mark / jump the shark moment for limited edition / high expense pedal culture?
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    edited May 18
    CaseOfAce said:
    Somebody over on the gear page has posted something along the lines of this being the high water mark / jump the shark moment for limited edition / high expense pedal culture?
    It’s not like Fender released a super limited Kevin Shields blender for a crazy price, shortly followed by a mass market version for nearly a third less. Or EHX rebadging their pedals with celebrity names & making them more expensive.

Tough crowd, I guess.
    CaseOfAce said:
    It’s not like Fender released a super limited Kevin Shields blender for a crazy price, shortly followed by a mass market version for nearly a third less. Or EHX rebadging their pedals with celebrity names & making them more expensive.

Tough crowd, I guess.
    They did, but at least Kevin Shields did/does use Fender Blenders, and eg J Mascid has used EHX forever. 

The Beach Boys didn’t even play in their own records, and those records didn’t use pedals…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1399
    CaseOfAce said:

Tough crowd, I guess.
    They did, but at least Kevin Shields did/does use Fender Blenders, and eg J Mascid has used EHX forever. 

The Beach Boys didn’t even play in their own records, and those records didn’t use pedals…
    ... and Stickyfiddle stole the words right out of my mouth before I could say them!

I'm not immune to marketing and it's charms..  I get the allure and collectability of stuff Revolutions... 
    But personally I think Beach Boys ...and I'm wondering why not one of those vocal / harmonising pedals with presets right?

If I was stretching to guitar... well... it would be an external reverb tank thing (which I guess is part of the package above). 
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    CaseOfAce said:

... and Stickyfiddle stole the words right out of my mouth before I could say them!

I'm not immune to marketing and it's charms..  I get the allure and collectability of stuff Revolutions... 
    But personally I think Beach Boys ...and I'm wondering why not one of those vocal / harmonising pedals with presets right?

If I was stretching to guitar... well... it would be an external reverb tank thing (which I guess is part of the package above). 
    It’s a cheesy tie-in. From the band who really have been at the forefront of selling out since the 60s. So it figures.

The pedals are hardly gonna sell out with 1,000 of each, and they’re not that much more expensive than your standard Keeley/JHS pedal.

I get that these aren’t doing anything new & both pedal builders probably had to work for 30mins to copy/paste existing circuit designs. But I love the kitchy nature of it which absolutely suits the Beach Boys brand. The endless paradoxes within the band exactly what makes it all so fascinating for me.
  • CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 237
    CaseOfAce said:

It’s a cheesy tie-in. From the band who really have been at the forefront of selling out since the 60s. So it figures.

The pedals are hardly gonna sell out with 1,000 of each, and they’re not that much more expensive than your standard Keeley/JHS pedal.

I get that these aren’t doing anything new & both pedal builders probably had to work for 30mins to copy/paste existing circuit designs. But I love the kitchy nature of it which absolutely suits the Beach Boys brand. The endless paradoxes within the band exactly what makes it all so fascinating for me.

I think I'll hold out buying these as I've heard there's an Engelbert Humperdinck Digitech Whammy and a Pavarotti Fuzz pedal being released soon.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ok I hadn't realised there was a bass pedal in the set. This actually looks like a really useful box - I could happily do a gig with just one of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2hnsvGSXg0