Beach Boys studio effects collection @ Sweetwater

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• WTB22WTB22 Frets: 69
    Would like to see Benson do the Trem/Verb unit as a standard offering, be nice if he included Harmonic Trem in there like the old Victoria units too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 237
    CaseOfAce said:
    They did, but at least Kevin Shields did/does use Fender Blenders, and eg J Mascid has used EHX forever. 

The Beach Boys didn’t even play in their own records, and those records didn’t use pedals…
    ... and Stickyfiddle stole the words right out of my mouth before I could say them!

I'm not immune to marketing and it's charms..  I get the allure and collectability of stuff Revolutions... 
    But personally I think Beach Boys ...and I'm wondering why not one of those vocal / harmonising pedals with presets right?

If I was stretching to guitar... well... it would be an external reverb tank thing (which I guess is part of the package above). 
    It’s a cheesy tie-in. From the band who really have been at the forefront of selling out since the 60s. So it figures.

The pedals are hardly gonna sell out with 1,000 of each, and they’re not that much more expensive than your standard Keeley/JHS pedal.

I get that these aren’t doing anything new & both pedal builders probably had to work for 30mins to copy/paste existing circuit designs. But I love the kitchy nature of it which absolutely suits the Beach Boys brand. The endless paradoxes within the band exactly what makes it all so fascinating for me.

I think I'll hold out buying these as I've heard there's an Engelbert Humperdinck Digitech Whammy and a Pavarotti Fuzz pedal being released soon.

The NDA prevented me from revealing details before, but Friedman and EHX are also releasing artist endorsed gear: Karen Carpenter's Pink Taco and Dolly Parton's Big Muff.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12698
    edited May 20
    TBH, am I the only one who doesn't associate "Beach Boys" and "Great Tone" in the same sentence...

And 99% of the decent material by them was played by the Wrecking Crew session players anyway.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2348
    Ok I hadn't realised there was a bass pedal in the set. This actually looks like a really useful box - I could happily do a gig with just one of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2hnsvGSXg0
    There are SO many amazing bass pedal pre-amps/grit/fuzz/EQ/cab emulation pedals that would get you in this ballpark for a lot less, from manufacturers who really know bass and the bass world. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • pluckbuddypluckbuddy Frets: 312
    The marketing is pretty tenuous all round and that's why its grating a bit. 

But univibe... really? Even with the Keeley 12 string pedal someone in the video says oh that's like the Travelling Wilburys... and they kept that line in the video despite being completely off message. 

Another weird thing is that the JHS guy doesn't mention Carol Kaye by name... Maybe I missed it... seemed strange though... 

I do get the reverb though so top marks to Benson for this project. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom