EBay Epiphone 335 replica ! But what e a toy is it . Gibson style headstock & cheap

What's Hot
hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4231
I asked this guy  what exactly he was selling  is it a replica of an Epiphone 335 
  Or does he mean The epiphone is a replica  of a Gibson 335
I  wish people would give more information on their listings as they can be totally ambiguous .
i liked the Gibson style headstock & the colour . Anyway he never got back to me so I bought 
another Guitar which was a real good bargain . I’m done buying now I can’t justify anything else 
unless I have another windfall . Lovely looking guitar though with starting price around £185
seymour Duncan pickups  but I would have liked to know more & he never answered my question. People are weird 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/226141099449?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19216
    A Chepiphone?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Pete.RPete.R Frets: 454
    It's not a legit €piphone

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10911
    tFB Trader
    It may be that the Seymour Duncans are these   for the princely sum of £26 quid from Ali Express ... they'll be genuine too then ;-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Lawriejones1Lawriejones1 Frets: 146
    I had this issue. Previously I bought what I considered a genuine Epiphone Les Paul. It turns out it was a Chinese replica. The shop refunded me the majority of the purchase price and told me I was able to keep it or sell it.

I sell a lot on eBay and asked them what to do. Thankfully they replied and told me to list as an ‘Epiphone Les Paul replica’.

I used their words to avoid and impact on my seller rating. (The guitar was in excellent condition with a hard case and I think I sold it for £100 or so, which was fair.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2555
    Wow that’s dodgy. More like a 339 size anyway. Bound neck heel, big block inlays on “rosewood”, no strap buttons, looks like red paint instead of stain and it’s been horribly masked off on the binding, the bridge is completely horizontal so good luck intonating that
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2445
    Well it's definitely not an Epiphone, and the very odd decal placement almost makes it look like an afterthought, like it was someone's kit guitar and they decided to stick an Epiphone logo on it once they were done.
    Tim
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4231
    Wow, it’s so easy to buy a duff guitar ,fancy there being epiphone replicas too 
      I had heard a few years ago on the Mylespaul forum there were some but to actually see one 
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2445
    Wow, it’s so easy to buy a duff guitar ,fancy there being epiphone replicas too 
      I had heard a few years ago on the Mylespaul forum there were some but to actually see one 
    I wouldn't say this one is particularly a deliberate Epiphone replica, more a kit with a brand slapped on.

The Epiphone fakes are deliberate, and harder to spot, and therefore easier to pass by most people. Generally they've got an EE serial and the EE and the numbers after it are different fonts in different sizes. They also generally use the wrong washer size for the fake Grovers and have the wrong tailpiece studs. 

Chibsons are easy to spot because they never get the shape right; when Epiphone already have the wrong shape and questionable control placement consistency on the genuine ones, the fakes really are almost impossible to spot without knowing specific details.
    Tim
    timmypix said:

The Epiphone fakes are deliberate, and harder to spot, and therefore easier to pass by most people. Generally they've got an EE serial and the EE and the numbers after it are different fonts in different sizes. They also generally use the wrong washer size for the fake Grovers and have the wrong tailpiece studs. 

Chibsons are easy to spot because they never get the shape right; when Epiphone already have the wrong shape and questionable control placement consistency on the genuine ones, the fakes really are almost impossible to spot without knowing specific details.
    a longtime forum/facebook friend made this great video a few years ago

it is worth the time.....

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3219
    edited May 18
    I asked this guy  what exactly he was selling  is it a replica of an Epiphone 335 
    I  wish people would give more information on their listings as they can be totally ambiguous .
    i liked the Gibson style headstock & the colour . Anyway he never got back to me so I bought 
    another Guitar which was a real good bargain . I’m done buying now I can’t justify anything else 
    unless I have another windfall . Lovely looking guitar though with starting price around £185
    seymour Duncan pickups  but I would have liked to know more & he never answered my question. People are weird 

Ebay allowing crap like this to be sold, and I don't just mean this specific guitar or listing, I mean fake and counterfeit products, on their platform, has really changed my shopping habits, to the point where I won't buy anything that costs more than a tenner from eBay - though in the last 18 months I've only been buying something that costs less than £3 delivered every 6 weeks, and when I do buy from eBay, it's only from sellers with a seller rating of 99.8% and above.  Counterfeit goods on eBay is just becoming far far too common and blatantly open nowadays.  And worse than that, as somebody who has never claimed to have the morale compass of an angel, stuff the screams ''I'm illegal everywhere in the world including America and the country that I was manufactured in'' eBay seem to be more than happy to be sold through their platform.  Screw the hassle of sourcing from the dark web nowadays, it's all on eBay.
    tFB Trader

Ebay allowing crap like this to be sold, and I don't just mean this specific guitar or listing, I mean fake and counterfeit products, on their platform, has really changed my shopping habits, to the point where I won't buy anything that costs more than a tenner from eBay - though in the last 18 months I've only been buying something that costs less than £3 delivered every 6 weeks, and when I do buy from eBay, it's only from sellers with a seller rating of 99.8% and above.  Counterfeit goods on eBay is just becoming far far too common and blatantly open nowadays.  And worse than that, as somebody who has never claimed to have the morale compass of an angel, stuff the screams ''I'm illegal everywhere in the world including America and the country that I was manufactured in'' eBay seem to be more than happy to be sold through their platform.  Screw the hassle of sourcing from the dark web nowadays, it's all on eBay.
    It's not in the Chinese Communist Party's interests to clean house as far as the fake goods trade. It's all extra 'national product'. Nobody who is living in mainland China suffers so they even help out a bit with subsidised carriage. 

Moody Seymore Duncans at £54 quid a pair which should tell you how genuine they are! 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3219
    edited May 19

It's not in the Chinese Communist Party's interests to clean house as far as the fake goods trade. It's all extra 'national product'. Nobody who is living in mainland China suffers so they even help out a bit with subsidised carriage. 

Moody Seymore Duncans at £54 quid a pair which should tell you how genuine they are! 

And Aliexpress is just as bad as eBay.  My point is, eBay like Amazon and many many other companies, are multinationals, they operate in countries with different laws, and they if they want to do business in a country they have to obey that country's laws, in the UK it is against the law to sell or advertise fake and counterfeit products, versions of products that require safety certification that don't have the safety certification, and a huge list of items, what I've seen for sale on eBay UK that falls foul of the illegal items/goods/products laws, fake currencies - your pick of currency and denominations even advertised as ''replica currency'' or ''prop currency'' containing all the latest anti counterfeiting tech tested and guaranteed to to pass for real, weapons - I'm talking about knuckle dusters bladed knuckled dusters switch blades stiletto blades fire arms ammunition, narcotics, pharmaceuticals - everything from vaccines to antibiotics things that require a prescription and stuff that's legal in some countries but not the UK especially the weight loss and energy stuff, certain plants - I bought one thinking the listing was either a joke or the plant was a fake plastic thing it wasn't it was actually very good and it was extremely well packaged too, passports - your choice of country what details to put on it, driving licenses - again from any country you want and guaranteed to work and added to that country's database as to pass muster and I know a few people who are actually currently diving on ones they have sourced from eBay and I know that they work as 1 or 2 of the people I know who use them have points on them.  Now eBay not only provides the platform for these goods to be sold on, they also promote them, as well as profit from the sale of them, they are legally required to follow UK law to do business in the UK yet:
    I had this issue. Previously I bought what I considered a genuine Epiphone Les Paul. It turns out it was a Chinese replica. The shop refunded me the majority of the purchase price and told me I was able to keep it or sell it.

I sell a lot on eBay and asked them what to do. Thankfully they replied and told me to list as an ‘Epiphone Les Paul replica’.

I used their words to avoid and impact on my seller rating. (The guitar was in excellent condition with a hard case and I think I sold it for £100 or so, which was fair.)

They actually told somebody to list a fake guitar as a replica after being told that it was a fake - and the seller after getting his money back and wanting more sells it on their platform adding to the problem.  As for places like Aliexpress and Banggoods - companies that are not multinationals though sell world wide, the answer is easy, if they want to sell in the UK, obey UK law, and if they don't, the websites are blocked from being viewable in the UK - yes I know that there are ways to get around the blocks and it's not difficult but just adding the extra steps on top of the risk of purchases being confiscated and fines and or prison time would be enough for a lot of people to say sod it not worth the extra time and effort on top of the risks, Aliexpress and Banggoods can do a hell of a lot stop fake, counterfeit, and things that are illegal in the UK from being (A) viewable by people in the UK, (B) purchasable by people in the UK, (C) both A and B.  Every streaming platform, including the free ones that are funded via ads are able to do it and do it, especially when it comes to advertising.

There really is no excuse for it to be happening on eBey, especially when companies are employing people to search through eBay to find and report fake and counterfeits of their IP to eBay.
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1331
    It may be that the Seymour Duncans are these   for the princely sum of £26 quid from Ali Express ... they'll be genuine too then ;-)
    This boils my piss. How many of these sets are already flogging around as genuine ones. Chinese would surely counterfeit the cheapest Harley Bentons if they weren't already cheap enough. 
    KrisGee said:
    This boils my piss. How many of these sets are already flogging around as genuine ones. Chinese would surely counterfeit the cheapest Harley Bentons if they weren't already cheap enough. 

IIRC there had been faked D'addario strings out some years ago

yep, the fake even €10.- pack of strings....

it's easier to spread 100x €10 items than 1x €1000 item, 
    the profit probably is the same
    tFB Trader
    KrisGee said:
    The problem is we have no way of knowing ... probably many hundreds. There's a bloody stupid 'victimless crime' attitude to counterfeiting in this country ... which folks soon loose once they've been f--ked over by accidentally buying a fake!  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom