Next Gardiner Houlgate details online

What's Hot
jca74jca74 Frets: 364
edited May 17 in Guitar
Just perusing...Highlights are obviously Bernie Marsden's collections - some great looking guitars, but he also had stuff more likely to be found in @HarrySeven 's warehouse.

I think my current fave is https://www.guitar-auctions.co.uk/sale/221/502/1981-Rickenbacker-4080-64-basselectric-double-neck-guitar-made-in-USA. It doesn't look like the auction includes a chiropractor though.

(Although having said that I've just found https://www.guitar-auctions.co.uk/sale/221/555/1998-Andy-Manson-Mandolin-Twin-acoustic-guitar-and-FStyle-mandolin-double-neck-made-in-England
a couple of pages further on...

...and how I've reached the 'holy crap' section...https://www.guitar-auctions.co.uk/sale/217/1463/Set-of-three-1964-week-44-CTS-guitar-potentiometers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7550
    I've looked at online auction listings of musical instruments before and seen a couple of things I might be tempted to bid on, but it's getting the guitar delivered from there to me that I've found sufficient to dissuade me from doing so.

How do people here that have bought from the likes of Gardiner Houlgate get the items shipped to them?  A courier service that also packages items for a charge?  I see that Gardiner Houlgate has partnered with a company "Part and Parcel UK" that provides this service for £50 / £55 (excluding VAT) for each guitar / bass.  By the time you add on the buyer's fee and then the packaging and delivery it adds a fair chunk onto the hammer price.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27810
    If this goes for the estimate, it’d be bargain-tactic, although it’s had a neck repair

https://www.guitar-auctions.co.uk/sale/221/694/Kawai-KS11XL-electric-guitar-made-in-Japan-circa-1980

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3501
    edited May 17
    Birth year Ibanez with 24 frets? Yes, please! But no way it will go for the estimate of £500-700
    Very clever of GH to put up those silly estimates.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3085
    Lot Number 555 1998 Andy Manson Mandolin Twin acoustic guitar and F-Style mandolin double neck made in England Auctioned at The Guitar Auction Day Two - Guitars on 12th June 2024
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3682
    carlos said:
    Birth year Ibanez with 24 frets? Yes, please! But no way it will go for the estimate of £500-700
    Very clever of GH to put up those silly estimates.

All auctioneers do it. 

It's called "the come and get me" price that encourages bids.  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5586
    Some nice gear in there
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2364
    jca74 said:
    Just perusing...Highlights ...

...and how I've reached the 'holy crap' section...https://www.guitar-auctions.co.uk/sale/217/1463/Set-of-three-1964-week-44-CTS-guitar-potentiometers
    Ah. The 59 Burst of CTS pots.... Very desirable.....

:-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rhinofeetrhinofeet Frets: 110
    Are the Bernie Marsden guitars up yet? I couldn't find his in the catalogue.
  • MaakMaak Frets: 87
    BillDL said:
    I've looked at online auction listings of musical instruments before and seen a couple of things I might be tempted to bid on, but it's getting the guitar delivered from there to me that I've found sufficient to dissuade me from doing so.

How do people here that have bought from the likes of Gardiner Houlgate get the items shipped to them?  A courier service that also packages items for a charge?  I see that Gardiner Houlgate has partnered with a company "Part and Parcel UK" that provides this service for £50 / £55 (excluding VAT) for each guitar / bass.  By the time you add on the buyer's fee and then the packaging and delivery it adds a fair chunk onto the hammer price.
    I used Part and Parcel.  it was £60 inc vat to get a guitar delivered to me.  They picked up the guitar from Gardiner Houlgate and then delivered it to me.  It was quite odd as I didn't see the delivery vehicle at all, a guy showed up on my doorstep in regular clothes no uniform, holding the guitar in it's gig bag without any packaging.  The guitar was fine though so I'd have no issues using them again.  

And yes you're quite right, once you include the fees the increase in price is quite a lot.   It's  26.4% on top of what the hammer price is.  So if you won the bid at £100 it would actually be £126.40 + the cost of the shipping.   You could easily get caught up in the bidding and forget it's roughly another 1/4 on top of the hammer price.

I paid a bit more than I would have liked for the guitar I wanted (parker fly hard tail) but I've since seen similar guitars sold for a lot more so I feel less bad about the whole process.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jca74jca74 Frets: 364
    rhinofeet said:
    Are the Bernie Marsden guitars up yet? I couldn't find his in the catalogue.
    https://www.guitar-auctions.co.uk/sale/218/the-guitar-auction-(day-one)---artist-associated-guitars-&-memorabilia
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 898
    I didn`t realise there was going to be soooooooo much Bernie stuff! Some of it looks very reasonable if it goes at estimate.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2431
    More fodder for the hopeful flippers amongst us.