Johnny B Goode

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FezFez Frets: 525
    We start our Rock 'n Roll medley with Johnny B Good then morph into let's go to the Hop, Houndog and whatever else takes the singers fancy until he closes out with Tutti Fruity.
    Don't touch that dial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lovely solo in that Peter Tosh clip :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • It's funny but used to do it in my old band as a medley with Wipeout, Rock and Roll, and Hawaii 5-0 theme!
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited December 2014
    I decided long ago that there is only one Chuck Berry - I used to play it note for note but then I thought, 'hey' if he can play it differently each time, it's OK for me too.  So, nowadays it's just a great track to have a bit of fun with and as long as you've got the basic groove & riff everyone will still recognise it & bop to it.  Here's a version we did on one of our demo's for 'Undercover Duo - backing track was just drums & bass, everything else was us (me, guitars, Mike, vocals):

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Oh I don't play it note-for-note but I like to at least *start* there, ie. learn it accurately then pull it around.

I also think the opening riff is one of those that's so recognisable that you have to play identically or very differently otherwise it just sounds sloppy.

Anyway, I've got it figured out now - there were a couple of things that I was doing wrong and once I identified them it all fell into place.

R.