Johnny B Goode

What's Hot
robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3052
Surprisingly difficult to nail it like Chuck, and how many terrible youtube "how-to-play" video lessons?

Discuss :)

R.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Agreed
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27667
    There's a decent Lick Library tuition DVD that includes it.

Still difficult to "nail it like Chuck" though!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72572
    edited November 2014
    Don't try to nail it like Chuck. You can't, and it's a standard not a cover. Do your own take on it.

Like this…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
     how many terrible youtube "how-to-play" video lessons?

Try this
    http://www.justinguitar.com/en/SB-425-JohnnyBGoode-ChuckBerry.php

• It's our encore, I don't really like how we do it or how many bands do it, the original isn't a mess of guitars. I blame Hendrix. The Tosh version is by far my favourite cover of it too.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Well, that's not so much a cover as singing the same lyrics over a minor skank. And I'm not Peter Tosh! :)

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Anyway, I agree about not being a slave to the original, but I like to start from that point so I can always come back to that if my own interpretation falls off, for any reason :)

R.
  • Well, that's not so much a cover as singing the same lyrics over a minor skank. And I'm not Peter Tosh! :)

R.

fairly sure he changes some of the lyrics as well. :bz
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Balham Alligators did a great version!

Trouble is, most bands have a drummer that does it 4/4 Rock style, it's swinging!
  • That's another "cover" that is just the words sung over a completely different tune/harmonic progression.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • close2u said:
     how many terrible youtube "how-to-play" video lessons?

Try this
    http://www.justinguitar.com/en/SB-425-JohnnyBGoode-ChuckBerry.php

Excellent - that's what I was looking for. He really nails it, as in sounds just like the "original".

Thanks,

R.
    Trouble is, most bands have a drummer that does it 4/4 Rock style, it's swinging!
    When I was in a proper 50s-style rock'n'roll band, we once had to do a gig with a dep drummer - he was very good, but he was a straight-ahead rock drummer and didn't realise that rock'n'roll drumming is essentially played 'half time'… and is very fast by rock standards, the tempos are often up in the 160-180bpm range. The set was unusually energetic and the drumming was much more 'driving' than usual, but when we got to the end the poor chap was the colour of a beetroot and said "if you play an encore I'm going to die…"

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• We also play it, but as a set closer. The solo section is split so all members (guitar, keys, bass and drums) take a round before launching together into 12 bars of Wipeout and then returning to the song to close. It's a pretty high energy way of closing the set!
    We also play it, but as a set closer. The solo section is split so all members (guitar, keys, bass and drums) take a round before launching together into 12 bars of Wipeout and then returning to the song to close. It's a pretty high energy way of closing the set!
    That sounds great! I also played it in a functions band where we put four rounds of 'In The Mood' into the middle, with an up-a-minor-third key change each time to get back to the original key. It fits perfectly.

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I drop Zeppelins Rock n Roll into it. You can sing it down an octave if you don't have my girly range but it works really well
  • We do Rock n Roll as well :)

R.
  • ICBM said:
    We also play it, but as a set closer. The solo section is split so all members (guitar, keys, bass and drums) take a round before launching together into 12 bars of Wipeout and then returning to the song to close. It's a pretty high energy way of closing the set!
    That sounds great! I also played it in a functions band where we put four rounds of 'In The Mood' into the middle, with an up-a-minor-third key change each time to get back to the original key. It fits perfectly.
    Like that idea a lot :)

R.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited November 2014
    We do it as a medley. Starting with "Johnny B Goode", then it morphs into "Roll Over Beethoven"....then various other rock'n'roll songs...with band intros (the bass player intro changes into "I Feel Good" and the Drummers becomes "Wipeout"....it can go on a bit, but it keeps them dancing! We end with "bye bye Johnny" which fits nicely.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    edited November 2014
    close2u said:
    Not bad, nearly all the right notes but he doesn't quite get the rhythm right on the G string bend/B and E string double stops.

And he plays it loads slower than Chuck
  • All the right notes, but not necessarily in the right place!

R.