Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Blackstar enters the trough of disillusionment

What's Hot
1234568»

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2384
    edited November 2014
    jpfamps said:
    I had a look at the Rivera web site and phrases such as "all tube" and "pure tube" are absent from the blurb for the Pubster.

Regardless just because other companies use "questionable" advertising does not justify you doing it.
    Agreed. And you could (at least arguably) make a case that Blackstar took it one step further, with those "pure tube" etc. claims you mentioned. Probably not much to pick between BS and H&K, though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5079
    I've used a couple of BS heads at a rehearsal room and find that the 100w head is far too quite to use in a band situation. It's as bad as a modern Marshall or Orange.
    I think I've been spoilt with 10 years of Marshall JMP 2203  :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72835
    Reverend said:
    I've used a couple of BS heads at a rehearsal room and find that the 100w head is far too quite to use in a band situation. It's as bad as a modern Marshall or Orange.
    I think it's quite likely you're partly deaf if you've been standing in front of a 2203 turned up full for ten years :) :(.

Was that a Blackstar Series One 100? If so, did you make sure the power control was up full? It's a genuine 'power scaling' type control. I wouldn't say it's a particularly quiet amp - not as frighteningly loud as a 2203 on full... but very little is!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Reverend said:
    I think it's quite likely you're partly deaf if you've been standing in front of a 2203 turned up full for ten years :) :(.

Was that a Blackstar Series One 100? If so, did you make sure the power control was up full? It's a genuine 'power scaling' type control. I wouldn't say it's a particularly quiet amp - not as frighteningly loud as a 2203 on full... but very little is!
    I generally find I don;t get to turn the 2203 up much beyond 3 - not that that means anything in particular but I never really have to crank it.

I do wear ear plugs as well, but I found the 100 ( and yes I think it was the series one) had to be turned up pretty high to cope with a drummer and ampeg stack.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72835
    I think part of the problem is that the Marshall reaches full power much earlier on the controls - certainly no later than 6 on the MV once the preamp is into distortion, and possibly below halfway - whereas the Blackstar is more 'linear' (ie in some ways more "properly designed") so you have to turn the controls up further to reach the same proportion of full power. I found it a quite refined-sounding and un-dynamic amp even accounting for that - but it seemed loud enough when turned up.

I've never tried one with a loud band so it wouldn't surprise me if that tends to make it get lost in the mix though - I know exactly what you mean about a lot of modern Oranges doing that too, they're too thick and muddy. (Honourable exception to the Rocker 30, but it's just not *that* loud an amp anyway.) Modern Marshalls are almost the opposite - they just tend to sound thin and lack guts.

I still think the 2203 is the greatest amp Marshall ever made - even more than the Plexi. The single best one I ever heard was a '76 with the original small-logo styling. To me they are the absolute definition of the sound of rock.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    I think part of the problem is that the Marshall reaches full power much earlier on the controls - certainly no later than 6 on the MV once the preamp is into distortion, and possibly below halfway - whereas the Blackstar is more 'linear' (ie in some ways more "properly designed") so you have to turn the controls up further to reach the same proportion of full power. I found it a quite refined-sounding and un-dynamic amp even accounting for that - but it seemed loud enough when turned up.

I've never tried one with a loud band so it wouldn't surprise me if that tends to make it get lost in the mix though - I know exactly what you mean about a lot of modern Oranges doing that too, they're too thick and muddy. (Honourable exception to the Rocker 30, but it's just not *that* loud an amp anyway.) Modern Marshalls are almost the opposite - they just tend to sound thin and lack guts.

I still think the 2203 is the greatest amp Marshall ever made - even more than the Plexi. The single best one I ever heard was a '76 with the original small-logo styling. To me they are the absolute definition of the sound of rock.
    I have a '77 and a '78, as well as a '78 Superbass.

I had always thought Marshall amps were fizzy until I saw Master of Reality. Chris Goss got a fantastic sound with his, and then I went out on tour crewing for Bill Steer and the sound he got out of a JTM 45 convinced me to give them another go. Once I got a 2203 I sold my 5150 as he felt quieter and much less defined in comparison.

The Blackstars I have tried very much remind me of using DSL and JCM900 Marshalls - sort of sound right but just not quite cutting the mustard.