Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bluguitar Amp1??

What's Hot
rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 235

Anyone tried one yet?

Seems like an interesting bit of kit

Progress?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    edited November 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToyS8oGexm0&list=UUcniHc5ivrNMY2HUocYmzAg

There's a review in the latest Guitarist magazine.

I spoke to Thomas Blug at the recent London Guitar Show and he was hoping it would be available by Christmas - the Guitarist review also says hopefully by Christmas (Thomas was just about to fly out to China to oversee the final production tweaks at the time of the review).

It was hard to make any accurate assessment of the Amp 1 at the LGS as it was extrenely hot and noisy and I didn't actually play through it myself. Thomas sounded pretty good through it, though. He was just playing it through the tiny Amp 1 cabinet (looks like a hifi subwoofer) and it was remarkably loud for such a small setup. I'm sure a 2x12 or 4x12 would have sounded even better. I'd still like to hear/play it in a better environment before I make up my mind but I do really like the concept and hope it lives up to the claims.

I wished Thomas success with it and he said he hoped it would do well as he'd put so much money into it that he'd be bankrupt if it totally flopped.

Guitarist gave it a "gold" review (for what it's worth) so it may do well.
  • I read the review. I'd like to try it, but I don't think I'd sell one of my existing amps to get one. I'd like one as well as ... ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    It certainly sounds pretty good in the demo. There seem to be more and more alternatives to a big heavy and expensive valve amp. I'm currently leaving all my proper amps at home and gigging with a tech 21 Fly Rig and a EHX Magnum 44 which sounds just as good in with the band as my expensive valve amps, to the point I'm really thinking of selling some and sticking with this set-up. If the Blu guitar sounds as good with a band I might just have to get one. Even for those that don't want to give up their main amps this would be a great back-up
  • Not heard about these at all. How much are they going to be?
  • IIRC about £500 ?
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited November 2014
    BluGuitar site says 699 Euros (pre-order). Guitarist says £589.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • How much do you want to punch Michael in the face?
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited November 2014
    I only heard about these the other day and Mr.Blug's YT demos certainly sound good.

I really like the concept and I believe the Amp1 (699 Euros) also has an in-built 100w Class D power amp, however, to really tap into its full potential for live use, I think you'll need the Remote 1 pedalboard (349 Euros) and if you want to introduce your own pedals into the chain, probably the loop kit too (249 Euros). This then means that you're getting into used Kemper and Axe Fx territory but obviously, they're not as compact or as straightforward to use.

I can't find anything on the net as to whether this will have a UK distributor or be available in UK shops.

TB extracts great tones from gear, namely H&K amps, so this shouldn't disappoint.
    edited November 2014
    Kebabkid said:

I can't find anything on the net as to whether this will have a UK distributor or be available in UK shops.

At the LGS he seemed to be sharing a stand with JHS and their Fret King guitars. Would make sense if it's distributed through JHS, what with Thomas Blug's long association with Trev Wilkinson.

[edit] Just looked it up and JHS also distribute Hughes & Kettner, so seem like the obvious distributers for Amp 1.
  • slateslate Frets: 89
    edited November 2014
    It does sound very good on his YT demos.
    Does anyone know if it has tubes in the preamp ,in addition to the nanotube in the power section?
    .EDIT- thanks @steamabacus - just watched the PG vid and he details the circuit on there.
  • The preamp is analogue solid state.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    thanks @steamabacus and that does make sense.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I want to like it
    Nanotubes are a cool idea but based on that demo .... Ugh not a fan. It's a bit shrill for my ears
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17625
    tFB Trader
    I find this amp very interesting especially as it appears that you can use it in patch mode and there is a MIDI adapter so you can use all the features without all the addons (which to my mind make it too big and expensive). 

The only thing that concerns me is that the clean sound appears to be quite jazzy rather than funky and tight. The vintage drive sounds were pretty good to me. The high gain not so much, but I wouldn't use it anyway.
  • Run-through of the whole system - in German, unfortunately, but you can get the drift. The German for wah-wah is ....  Vah-Vah.  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0nymkiAF_Y&index=2&list=UUywHV3OfufA4fQFndig-ALg
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I  don't know how much of the Guitarist demo suffers from Michaels Elephant like touch. but it sounds a bit distorted and rattley like a realy cheap guitar amp would
    tFB Trader
    Ich bin oldskool :)
  • Total Guitar review.

I notice that the review pdf is hosted by jhs.co.uk, too. So it looks like JHS will be distributing it.
    tFB Trader
    That's an overwhelmingly positive review. 

Very interesting indeed.
  • Doesn't sound great but i'm still very interested, I'm waiting for someone on here to get one then I can pick it up half price from the classifieds :-)
    Old Is Gold
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom