Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

EMG pickups - general experiences? (Active guitar pickups discussion)

What's Hot

Comments

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    edited February 2015
    The Mick Thomsons also have a different mid spike frequency, which is lower than the original Blackouts, as can be heard from this video: 

I personally prefer the higher mid spike (which is already lower than the 81) as it's more reminiscent of the classic JB and could possibly provide more cut in the mix.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Interesting, thanks for pointing that out.
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    I have EMGs (81, 89, 85, H, SA, 60 & Bass) in 6 of my 11 guitars and have been using them for 25 years+.

I get on great with them. They are different to passives, but not better or worse. I reckon I can get most of the tones I need, clean or dirty.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    Sorry to hijack the thread. I have a guitar whose previous owner changed the pickups to HSH all EMGs. The HBs are 85s but the middle single's plastic casing has rotted so much (from sweat?) that I can't tell what model it is. Also the rotten plastic means it's too high on the bass side as the screw is not going in properly. This means it's not very usable as it's too bassy. Question is, can I replace just the casing saving what's inside? Or should I go for a completely new single? If so, what model? To be fair, I can't even tell what model this one is, as the sticker on the bottom has rotted too. I imagine it is an SA as those were popular at the time.
  • @ToneControl might be your guy for that ^^^

I actually think this thread should be a general EMG/Active guitar pickups discussion, there are some good posts in here. I might amend the title.
    edited February 2015
    Sorry to hijack the thread. I have a guitar whose previous owner changed the pickups to HSH all EMGs. The HBs are 85s but the middle single's plastic casing has rotted so much (from sweat?) that I can't tell what model it is. Also the rotten plastic means it's too high on the bass side as the screw is not going in properly. This means it's not very usable as it's too bassy. Question is, can I replace just the casing saving what's inside? Or should I go for a completely new single? If so, what model? To be fair, I can't even tell what model this one is, as the sticker on the bottom has rotted too. I imagine it is an SA as those were popular at the time.
    I think like other EMGs pickups the single coils (probably an SA) are sealed units and the covers cannot be removed or replaced. Here are some nice pics of someone taking an EMG SA apart. Note the complete destruction of the outer casing: http://music-electronics-forum.com/t2145/#post34982

If the screw holes are too enlarged and not catching the thread, a simple fix would be to cut some thin strips of tape, poke them through the hole and stick them down. That should make the thread catch again.

Edit: That has to be some caustic sweat to melt through plastic... ewww.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11903

85 is alnico and puts out 3.1v for a string
    the singles are all 1v

the SA probably matches the 85 best, but the SV has the lowest resonant freq of the singles, closer to the 85
    I didn't like a set of SVs, but one might work in HSH

Personally I think HSH doesn't work for me,
    so I'd think why not get a new scratchplate, and just leave the two 85s???
    It's a Steinberger (full-body not cricket bat) so don't think a scratchplate would look too good as they never had them - holes would have to be drilled and I imagine it'd have to be custom cut to shape. I can always just replace it w/ a plastic dummy, have done that before it, looks okay. What would you do w/ the 5-way switch, given the HBs are not splittable?
    It's a Steinberger (full-body not cricket bat) so don't think a scratchplate would look too good as they never had them - holes would have to be drilled and I imagine it'd have to be custom cut to shape. I can always just replace it w/ a plastic dummy, have done that before it, looks okay. What would you do w/ the 5-way switch, given the HBs are not splittable?
    buy a new SA then?? what colour? I just bought 2 used ones from my luthier

I use 89s, they are nice. I think the 89R is cheaper sometimes, which I'd use in both positions next time, I think the SC mode can end up too close to the bridge on the 89
    Black, none more black.
    do you want me to see if he has a spare SA?
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    I've have a EMG 707 in one guitar, it has a 9v/18v switch, I play with a fairly clean sound and find that they have a compressed samey sound, good for some things, but they take away dynamics when compared to a P90 or Tele pup.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    Yes, sure! Wish I could solder so I could get this repaired myself.
    Hang on, there's no need to change a pickup because of a screw... From your description before, what do you mean by "the screw is not going in properly"? If it's a Steinberger then the middle single coil should be direct mounted? Is the screw not going into the wood below or is it actually something to do with the pickup... because if the screw hole in the wood is threaded even if you get a brand new pickup you're going to have the same problem.

Luckily if that indeed is the problem there is a simple fix involving a toothpick and some glue...
    I didn't explain it correctly. The plastic on the single coil's casing is so warped that the screw won't get the pickup flush to the body. I'll get a picture later.
    edited February 2015

I see...

Looks like the side tab has completely snapped off.

What you can do, if you don't mind the way it looks, is to put a small washer around the top of the screw so that it catches more of (what's left of) the pickup tab. It'll get wedged between the pickup and the side of the pickup cavity, and hopefully you'll then be able to screw it down a bit more without it popping out.

You can also consider taking the pickup out and thinning down whatever it is underneath that is pushing it up (probably sponge or surgical tubing) so that it's not pushing the pickup up with as much pressure.

• GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    Or you could fashion your own 'washer' of a shape similar to the image below, which you could screw-down to grip the remaining broken edges of the pickup? You could cut it from the plastic of an old black DVD case or the suchlike...

I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    I'll give it a go, thanks
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    So has anyone tried the EMG RPC control?  http://www.emgpickups.com/rpc.html

It basically is a pot that controls a high boost and low cut.

I took a look at the graph in the manual (PDF on link) and created something similar using an EQ block on my Axe FX.  I actually prefer what it does to the highs than what the 18 volt mod does.  I don't need any extra low end smack as I'm actively trying to reduce it - playing in drop B creates more than enough low end already.  I've been thinking about buying one for my SC, as that guitar with the JH set seems to benefit most from the EQ block.  Would be useful to have the control on the guitar itself I think so I could dial it in as necessary.