Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

EMG pickups - general experiences? (Active guitar pickups discussion)

What's Hot
1234568»

Comments

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I put some passive emgs in a cheap ibanez once (ssh). They were pretty good actually. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @ToneControl yep, Suhr uses a lovely split circuit on their stuff, although I don’t generally like the sound of their guitars! :open_mouth:
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    edited October 2019 tFB Trader
    So has anyone tried the EMG RPC control?  http://www.emgpickups.com/rpc.html

It basically is a pot that controls a high boost and low cut.

I took a look at the graph in the manual (PDF on link) and created something similar using an EQ block on my Axe FX.  I actually prefer what it does to the highs than what the 18 volt mod does.  I don't need any extra low end smack as I'm actively trying to reduce it - playing in drop B creates more than enough low end already.  I've been thinking about buying one for my SC, as that guitar with the JH set seems to benefit most from the EQ block.  Would be useful to have the control on the guitar itself I think so I could dial it in as necessary.
    no, but I have active bass/treble, which I use to do the same thing
    @tonecontrol I have the RPC on my Dredd guitar with an older model: EMG58 (which sounds like a P90)  which got painted over by the airbrush work.

It lifts the top end and kind of adds a bit of tele like clarity  to the top end . I quite like it for leadwork or if I need more bite in a sound.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14444

Like any sort of pickup, EMGs suit some host guitars better than others.

I could dismiss the original EMG-81 as a generic Rock/Metal pickup but, in some contexts, that is exactly what is required. 

the Epi Bjorn … with its EMG 81/85 set
    Somebody I know had the same combination in the Matt Heafy signature model LP Custom. They suited it perfectly,

On the LTD EC-401 that I used to own, I preferred the EMG-81X/-60X pair.

If I ever finish my Patrick Eggle Berlin Wall project, that has Fishman Fluence Classic humbuckers and some fancy wiring options.

On another guitar, I liked the Seymour Duncan Live Wire Classic II humbuckers with an EMG-SPC active mid booster.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    I find that as ever some guitars sound better than others with certain pickups - the old wood, hardware, scale length and string gauges affecting part of the tone too and it's a question of tailoring what pickup to what timers etc.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11904
    So has anyone tried the EMG RPC control?  http://www.emgpickups.com/rpc.html

It basically is a pot that controls a high boost and low cut.

I took a look at the graph in the manual (PDF on link) and created something similar using an EQ block on my Axe FX.  I actually prefer what it does to the highs than what the 18 volt mod does.  I don't need any extra low end smack as I'm actively trying to reduce it - playing in drop B creates more than enough low end already.  I've been thinking about buying one for my SC, as that guitar with the JH set seems to benefit most from the EQ block.  Would be useful to have the control on the guitar itself I think so I could dial it in as necessary.
    no, but I have active bass/treble, which I use to do the same thing
    @tonecontrol I have the RPC on my Dredd guitar with an older model: EMG58 (which sounds like a P90)  which got painted over by the airbrush work.

It lifts the top end and kind of adds a bit of tele like clarity  to the top end . I quite like it for leadwork or if I need more bite in a sound.

I got the scoop and mid boost set in my DG20 setup. Amazing sounds, but I wanted to have a bit more control, so tried the Bass and treble set.
    Ideally I think Bass, mid, treble would be best 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    Well the Red Strat project is complete with EMG DG20's and I absolutely love them.

More power and clarity than most and the mid boost (SPC I think) is enough to drive a tweed amp into Clapton territory.

Didn't bother routing it but had to refret it.

Original 1984 Fullerton Strat, CAR, 57 RI. Welcome to the machine.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Back when I was gigging in Skullfunk all my guitars (LTD EC1000 and three Jacksons) all had EMGs and I loved them. Now my orange Performance has an 81/85 set and my Strat has Squier active pickups, not sure what they are exactly. They're a bit thinner-sounding than the EMGs so I'm thinking of swapping them out, but since my GJ2 has passive pickups I'm not quite as fixated as I was before... that said though, I really want to try the Hot 70 set so I think a trip to Peach in the not too distant future is in order, as they have a Schecter in stock that has them fitted. I'll report back!
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)