Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Let's hear your Pedalboard

What's Hot

Comments

• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    TTBZ said:
    Some great stuff by all you guys in this thread, inspirational I wouldn't mind giving this sort of "texture" or ambient playing a go for leads etc in my band - I'm not a huge fan of guitar solos as a whole. I kinda feel like I'm putting them in for the sake of it and regurgitating the usual noodling rather than adding anything interesting. Where do you start with stuff like this though? I have a DD7 that should get me by for now but its the actual playing/chords etc I struggle to think outside the box with I think! fwiw my band is kinda heavy stoner rock/grungy so it's the heavier side of things rather than light and delicate ambient, if that makes sense! Any lessons/videos etc that help would be awesome :)
    @TTBZ Russian Circles might be a good starting place for more interesting and atmospheric heavy stuff

Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    edited December 2016
    Also, given what your playing there's bands like Samothrace and YOB who intertwine atmospheric with hard doom riffage effortlessly. 

The recent Sumac release has elements of it too...

Also Crimson Ritual were great at it too...
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Cool cheers I'll have a listen! I do like Russian Circles but haven't listened to them in ages, I'll dig out the albums again.
  • Today was the first time I've been able to wheel out The Twin and the board in a good while; synths and a newborn child are rather time consuming. Had forgotten how lovely it all sounds. To celebrate, I thought I'd record it all via a phone so you can all really experience the full dynamic spectrum. 

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Been a while since I posted here - been using helix a lot as a studio tool. not only for guitar but also synth.

This is a concoction of helix, moogerfoogers and sound toys providing effects for guitar and VSTs. Helix makes so much possible that before was so damned hard to do. 

• Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Been a while since I posted here - been using helix a lot as a studio tool. not only for guitar but also synth.

This is a concoction of helix, moogerfoogers and sound toys providing effects for guitar and VSTs. Helix makes so much possible that before was so damned hard to do. 

@Teetonetal sounds awesome, how did you get that throbbing synthy sound? And the beats? It's a whole new ball game for me and I'm desperate to learn how to do all that stuff!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • @Jonathanthomas83 Cheers :)

The basic synth sounds are all VST from Arturia's collection V - it really is fantastic I used the mini moog emulation for the throbbing base and the prophet emulation for the pad . The basic drum sounds are from NI Battery 4. All then played them using my Keylab 49.

For the drums, I played the part into logic, then split the midi track into it's parts. This then let me apply certain fx  to individual sounds. So the finger click is drenched in reverb and the snare hit is sent through helix with the delay from a moogerfooger MF104 synced to the track tempo and the feedback adjusted to get the correct number of repeats. That was then auto panned,  using a helix fx. The bass drum is sent into the sound toys compressor.

Helix is my lynchpin in this. I love that I can route my vst's through it and take advantage of my guitar pedals. Being able to play the key lab 49 and easily route the collection V instruments to my moogerfoogers and boss slicer is wonderful.

• @Teetonetal amazing, thank you! How are you managing to send the VSTs through the helix then? Midi?

• No helix has multiple audio over USB. So you simply tell helix fx to receive path 1A on say USB 3 then return on USB 4. Set vst output and daw input to match. 

Meanwhile keeping USB 1&2 for the uneffected stereo playback. 

I forget how many USB channels there are.. I think 8 so you could have 3 vsts each sending to 3 seperate fx paths in helix. It's extremely powerful and versatile.

You could reamp guitar tracks the same way if you want or stick a loadbox with real valve head into a helix loop.. etc etc.

It's very awesome.

Midi can then be used to sync daw, helix and pedals together.
  • Wow, sounds incredible!! That's where modellers are head and shoulders above regular amp/pedals setup. So tempting!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindude said:
    I started such a thread some time ago. No one joined in. But this was my effort anyhow.

Still the same except the Cream Tone has been replaced with a Fuchs Valve Job.

I know this isn't the point but I just want to give a quick shout out to your straight clean tone. Pretty sweet imho 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Right, silliness ensues.

Is that the RE20 @GavRichList? I am seriously considering upgrading my DD 7 for one. How do you get on with it? 
  • Right, silliness ensues.

Is that the RE20 @GavRichList? I am seriously considering upgrading my DD 7 for one. How do you get on with it? 
    Na, that was a DD20. It was fine. A decent workhorse. Most of that board has gone now! 

• Compression from Fairfield Circuitry Accountant, and reverb from Mr. Black Eterna. Few things prettier. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Today's twiddlings channel Mike Kinsella 

edited February 2017
    there's three loops playing here...
    1. at the base is the drone noise from the drone machine (the bog black box with white knobs)
    2. The low string notes is played through rainbow machine, delay and a little reverb
    3. high string notes played with phaser, delay and the shimmer reverb on the walrus audio descent

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ-Kh8RhVvUGx0POZnR5XXd2ThUXSiwoYfHsa00/?taken-by=samzadgan

• @samzadgan Is the link working? I can see a big space for a video, but no video..
    @samzadgan Is the link working? I can see a big space for a video, but no video..
    i just pasted the link now @Teetonetal ; . Not sure how i can paste the link so the video sits in the thread though.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    OK, time for me to join in...board is here:

Clean and dirty here:

That's the board direct into the interface, with Wall of Sound III doing the cab sim (the Buddha 2x12"). The dirty sound is probably a bit light on the low end, mainly because it's a tone I use for a full mix rather than just guitar (ie a significant low-cut at about 120Hz)).
    <space for hire>