Tiny extra amp? What is available?

What's Hot
NeilNeil Frets: 3625
I'm not very up on this sort of stuff but I'm thinking I'd like something really small I could just place on the sofa next to me and plug into with some headphones.

I have amps in other rooms but don't want to move/cart them about.

I've seen some cheap multi effects (Digitech RP55?) which would do the job but do they always have to be used in conjunction with an amp or are they standalone with headphone use?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yamaha thr 5 or 10. Works for me. You can even get a reasonable tone out of it at a whisper
    The Swamp City Shakers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • What about Vox amphones?
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    edited November 2014
    The vox amp plugs are pretty good, but i would go for a Boss micro br 100.I use mine in work its really handy. The boss micro br can be used with just guitar and headphones and ive seen them go for about £80 . I paid £100 for mine used. Have a little look on youtube.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    What about the new blackstar fly??
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Orange micro terror? Pends on what kind of tone you want though. They have a valve in the pre-amp too :)
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636

Done wanna spam!

But, check out the Blackstar site. Thursday the vid is about low power amps.

Dave.

• darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    edited November 2014
    edit -- never mind terrible suggestion from me
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3625
    Thanks for the tips Gents!

So much stuff around. 
    :-O
  • The Blackstar Fly does look like a great bit of (little) kit for the price.

I love my Yamaha THR10, that sits in the living room next to the sofa, which has really meant I get to play a lot more these days (young kids etc).

• I have a Blackstar HTR-1 sat gathering dust. Apart from the dust it's like new. Yours for £100 plus carriage. I have the original box and packaging.

I might even dust it off.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12359
    Lil night train head has headphone socket, might not be healthy to run it without cab though
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    I have a Blackstar HTR-1 sat gathering dust. Apart from the dust it's like new. Yours for £100 plus carriage. I have the original box and packaging.

I might even dust it off.
    Thanks for the offer but a small combo is a bit too large for what I am looking for. 
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    Most of the modern multi fx with built in amp Sims would work but I think the Yamaha THR amps would be perfect for the scenario you described.
    Ok i read the OP again...what you want is something like the zoom g3...which is what im getting for the same purpose. Ive had it before, when i had my first child and playing on an amp was ruled out for about 3 months.

Now with my secong child, im doing it again.
    edited November 2014
    samzadgan said:
    Ok i read the OP again...what you want is something like the zoom g3...which is what im getting for the same purpose. Ive had it before, when i had my first child and playing on an amp was ruled out for about 3 months.

@samzadgan that sounds the sort of thing I am looking for, a small unit that can be utilised via headphones.

Do you need anything else, computer etc or is it a completely standalone unit i.e plug in headphones and play?
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 847
    I'd just practice with an electric unplugged if you have amps in other rooms. Save your money, it does your playing good to practice without an amp half the time. It'll probably sound better than headphones into a floor pedal too IMO.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    koss59 said:
    I'd just practice with an electric unplugged if you have amps in other rooms. Save your money, it does your playing good to practice without an amp half the time. It'll probably sound better than headphones into a floor pedal too IMO.
    Is what I do now actually.

It was just curiosity when I saw some stuff like that on dealers sites.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited November 2014

I have a little Vox Mini 3 in Ivory finish, that can be used with headphones or played through its 5" speaker, and can take a mic too. . The new Mini3G2 is even better. It's tiny, weighs virtually nothing, but really is surprisingly good, and plenty loud enough to jam with friends! Around £90. Check out the video below:

imageimageimage

http://www.voxamps.com/mini3

Main Features
    • Eleven authentic built-in amp models distilled from VOX’s Valvetronix technology
    • Wide range of tones from sparkly cleans all the way to high-gain distortion
    • Usable with a variety of instruments such as electric guitars, acoustic-electric guitars, and keyboards
    • New Bassilator circuit - delivers a rich low end, especially with high-gain models
    • Enhanced compressor, chorus, flanger, tremolo, delay, and reverb
    • Dual power options – use the included AC adaptor or enjoy up to 10 hours of musical portability with six AA batteries
    • Dedicated mic input with separate volume and reverb/delay controls – ideal for vocals
    • AUX input jack - connect your MP3 player or other audio source and jam along
    • Built-in tuner – never play out of tune!
    • Convenient carrying strap is included for true on-the-go mobility

MINI3 G2 Specification
    Amp model: 11 types
    Effects: 8 types
    Delay/Reverb: 4 types
    Audio Inputs: INPUT x 1, MIC IN x 1, AUX IN x 1
    Audio Outputs: Headphones x 1
    Power amp output: Maximum output is approximately 3W RMS @4Ω
    Speaker: 5 inch; 4Ω
    Signal processing: A/D conversion = 24-bit, D/A conversion = 24-bit, sampling frequency =44.1 KHz
    Tuner detection range: E1-E6 (41.2 Hz - 1,318.5 Hz)
    Power supply: AC adaptor (included); 6 x AA batteries
    Battery life: Maximum 12 hours (using alkaline batteries)
    Current consumption: 175 mA
    Dimensions (W x D x H): 262 x 174 x 223mm/ 10.32" x 6.85" x 8.78"
    Weight: 3.0 Kg / 6.61 lbs. (Excluding batteries)
    Color Variations:
    Black (MINI3-G2-BK)
    Classic model a classic model with the traditional VOX diamond grill cloth (MINI3-G2-CL)
    Ivory (MINI3-G2-IV)
    Accessories: AC adapter, strap

The Roland equivalent (which was out long before the Vox) is the Micro Cube GX that also comes in a variety of colours/styles, circa £105:

http://www.roland.co.uk/products/productdetails.aspx?p=594

3-watt, ultra-compact guitar amplifier with 5-inch custom-designed speaker
    Eight COSM amp tones & eight DSP effects
    MEMORY function for saving favourite amp & effects setting
    i-CUBE LINK jack provides simple audio interfacing with Apple’s iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
    Chromatic tuner built in

There's also the bigger Roland Cube 10GX at around £95 - it's a little bigger, heavier and louder than the Vox Mini3 and has a bigger 8" speaker -  it only has three pre-loaded amp models BUT you can choose from a range of different amp models to load down from your phone! see link & demo here:

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/25512/new-roland-cube#latest

Compact 10-watt guitar amp with custom-designed 8-inch speaker
    Three preset COSM amp types
    Built in chorus, delay, and reverb
    Bass, Middle, and Treble tone controls
    Free cube kit app for iOS and Android
    Rec out-headphone jack for quiet practice and recording
    Aux in jack for jamming with an external music player

Manufacturer Roland
    Model Cube 10GX Guitar Amplifier
    Dimensions (HxWxD) 317 x 346 x 179mm
    Weight 10.6lbs (4.7Kg)
    Connectivity Inputs:
    INPUT jack: 1/4-inch phone type
    AUX IN jack: Stereo miniature phone type
    Outputs:
    REC OUT/PHONES jack: Stereo miniature phone type
    Effects:
    Chorus
    Delay
    Reverb
    Spring
    Amplifier Type Combo
    Amplifier Technology Modelling
    Wattage 10 Watt
    Speaker 8-inch custom built
    Included Accessories Owner's manual
    AC adaptor

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Neil;428228" said:
    samzadgan said:

@samzadgan that sounds the sort of thing I am looking for, a small unit that can be utilised via headphones.

Do you need anything else, computer etc or is it a completely standalone unit i.e plug in headphones and play?
    Its up to you...some people go into the details of plugging into pc for recording and doing other tweaks.

I just plug in my guitar and headphones and i'm set. It really is a good unit...the dirt pedals are not great but through headphones it doesn't really matter...but delay, verb and mods are awesome

Great, thanks Gents, that has been a great help.

I'm not very up on what is available and your suggestions have been very helpful.