Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Confessions of a knob kicker

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17637
edited November 2014 in FX tFB Trader
Anyone else have a problem with this?

At least once at any given gig or practice I'll have some kind of problem as a result of having hoofed a pedal and twiddled the knobs to being insanely loud or almost off. 

I suspect it's got something to do with having size 13 feet.

I'm moving to a switching system to avoid it. 
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Never really had this one myself. Now kicking the wrong pedals.... er... yeah.... a few times...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • its one of the reason I only have 7 pedals on a big ass board. 

As you have said before the fuzz factory can be a nightmare for this particular problem. 
    I like the danger factor of the fuzz factory but I have caused some aural pain once or twice with it
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Boss compacts man, problem solved ;)

Seriously though, I am with you on this one.  Asides from boss style pedals, I am a known knob kicker, unless it's a pretty big box.  I've had 2 mxr pedals where I've not only kicked a knob, but broken the pot shaft.  

I only have size 9s! I rock the shit out of them though ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gaffa tape is your friend.
    :)
  • Actually, given how shit I am at below-the-knee coordination when I'm playing, I've never done this. Well, not to any great degree - I tend to constantly adjust my settings throughout a gig, though, so if it does go wrong it never stays that way for long.

As with Drew, though, I regularly hit the wrong pedal (or simply fail to hit any with a noticeable degree of success).
    <space for hire>
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    God, all the time, especially on my Big Bite and was even worse when i had my massive board. Usually ends up with me kicking in an outrageous massive boost when I'm expecting a touch of grit!
  • The only pedal that has ever really given me that problem was the old green Sovtek Big Muff.  The combination of shit, wonky knobs and the fact you had to take either a running jump or a dive off a monitor to actually activate the footswitch were not a good combo.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7459
    Yes.

I wish builders/manufacturers would put the switch at the bottom and move the battery up
    Red ones are better. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    Boss compacts man, problem solved ;)
    +1

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Converse All-Stars and learn to adjust knobs with your feet. Then you can tweak mid song.
  • Wear cuban heels. You'll be focusing on keeping your balance so much that you won't kick the pedals. 

• Massive problem for me. My real pedalboard has loads of space between pedals, right now I'm switching my Axe FX rig with an FCB1010 which is about as compact as I'm comfortable with.

I look at some of the boards I see here and wonder if I have coordination problems, because there's no way I could use some of the more crowded setups.
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1681
    I wear size 6 winkle pickers on stage so no problems for me!

I thought this would be a thread about actually trying to adjust knobs with feet on stage, and I have been guilty of that. A particularly daft idea with my SHO clone which crackles when you adjust it.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17637
    tFB Trader
    Converse All-Stars and learn to adjust knobs with your feet. Then you can tweak mid song.
    I used to wear Converse until I fell down the stairs at a wet tube station. I steer clear of them now.

• I used to wear Converse until I fell down the stairs at a wet tube station. I steer clear of them now.
    Of Converse or tube stations? 

tFB Trader
    I used to wear Converse until I fell down the stairs at a wet tube station. I steer clear of them now.
    Of Converse or tube stations? 
    Both as it happens as I moved out of London and started wearing grown up shoes.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6189
    tFB Trader

At least once at any given gig or practice I'll have some kind of problem as a result of having hoofed a pedal and twiddled the knobs to being insanely loud or almost off. 

Don't you worry, my first pedal solves this.....
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • You can tell a lot about the maturity of a man by his footwear. Why, I'm even wearing fury dog slippers as I type. 

tFB Trader
    thorpy6 said:

Don't you worry, my first pedal solves this.....
    Ooo now I'm super intrigued! 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8722
    Massive problem for me. My real pedalboard has loads of space between pedals, right now I'm switching my Axe FX rig with an FCB1010 which is about as compact as I'm comfortable with.

I look at some of the boards I see here and wonder if I have coordination problems, because there's no way I could use some of the more crowded setups.
    Same here. MIDI switching with big pedals, and no knobs, dials and micro switches that get knocked inadvertently. No settings to crouch down and change between songs.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.