Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Confessions of a knob kicker

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Considering size 11 feet, and the co-ordination of a ballet-dancing hippo, I've never done this.

knocking the volume control on the guitar until it's off...........all the F###ing time..........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72420
    mike_l said:

knocking the volume control on the guitar until it's off...........all the F###ing time..........

Strat? :)

Move the volume control to the neck tone position and make the middle tone a master. You can put the unused pot back in the volume position and keep the original knobs so it doesn't look wrong ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

^^Strat, Charvel, Ibanez, less so on the Jackson and not at all on the ESP.

I was thinging of putting reverse pot's in (I assume you can get reverse pots), so rolling forward reduces the volume (if that makes sense)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ICBM said:
    mike_l said:

Strat? :)

Move the volume control to the neck tone position and make the middle tone a master. You can put the unused pot back in the volume position and keep the original knobs so it doesn't look wrong ;).
    That's a great idea - but can you get replacement strat knobs with "f**k all" written on them?
    :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72420
    mike_l said:

I was thinging of putting reverse pot's in (I assume you can get reverse pots), so rolling forward reduces the volume (if that makes sense)

Yes, you can get reverse-log pots, although they're not easy to find in "guitar" types with the exact combination of shaft and bushing type etc.

Now, if some big company like… Fender maybe… would actually make proper left-handed guitars, then reverse-taper pots would be very common since you would just use the ones from a LH guitar. But no... they just use right-hand Log pots wired backwards so they don't work properly. [/pet peeve]

But if you like a Linear volume pot you can just wire a normal one backwards and it's exactly the same.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FezFez Frets: 526
    I like the Ibanez tonelock idea, works great on the Phaser on my board.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • harpoharpo Frets: 177
    Those Hardwire covers are the dogs thingies but only for hardwire stuff obv :-/
  • I kicked the "voltage starve" knob on my Valvesporker on my first gig with my last band. They weren't impressed. Put the Rat back on the board the following day. Brilliant pedal but not so giggable!

Most pedals are fine though. I like the MXR micro amp and Rat cos you can adjust them with your feet while you play if you're careful. 

(also a Converse wearer here, particularly for gigging)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BodBod Frets: 1315
    Converse All-Stars and learn to adjust knobs with your feet. Then you can tweak mid song.
    I used to wear Converse until I fell down the stairs at a wet tube station. I steer clear of them now.
    I had a similar experience on a travelator thingy.  I hurt my arse but didn't drop the three bottles of wine I was carrying.  I also blame Converse for the fact that I've got fallen arches from wearing them for about 10 years.