Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your DOB guitar

What's Hot

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Sept ’57...... so probably a diddlybow!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11453
    I'm from 1969.

69 Les Pauls are silly money.  I don't like the really narrow nuts on the 335s and SGs from that era, and I hate big headstock Strats.  Martin changed their bridgeplate in 1968, so Tele is the only real option.

I played a couple of 1969 Teles a while back.  They were nice guitars, but I'm not sure they were nice enough to justify the outlay.  I've played better Custom Shop ones.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    I have a 1954 Les Paul Goldtop, which is the year I was born.  No idea of the month and day though.  

• I was born in 1982, which of the big boys were actually making decent guitars then? I've got nice examples of a tele, sg and Gretsch hollow body so a strat or les Paul would be my preference.
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1351
    December 1982 for me - again, not a vintage year for guitars; maybe an old Ibanez or something...
    First series jv squier or Fullerton reissue strat/Tele. 1982 is not bad at all
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22951
    I think I already mentioned at the start of this thread that I once had a 1964 SG Special but didn't get on with it.  Three years on, the thought of buying anything from '64 now seems like a pipe dream.  I'll make do without.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 1978, so BC Rich Mockingbird or Hamer Sunburst or special probably for something made properly in that year.
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    miserneil said:
    I'd love to get a DOB guitar...but 1981 was hardly a glorious year in guitar production!
    Snap :)
  • 1973 here. The more I look I think I'd rather spend that amount of £'s with @FelineGuitars for my 50'th. 
  • I lucked out with mine..

1974 Precision in Olympic White..

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyR said:
    December 1982 for me - again, not a vintage year for guitars; maybe an old Ibanez or something...
    First series jv squier or Fullerton reissue strat/Tele. 1982 is not bad at all
    Same year here, I figure the only way to do this would be a Tokai of some description as I'm not a fan of most 80s guitars, at least it could be done for a reasonable price. However, my old drummer's got an old jv bass...might have to check the year.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited September 2017
    My dad managed to get close - one year off - and ended up with a lovely 1962 Les Paul Junior (to all intents and purposes an SG Junior, of course). He sold it to a mate a few years ago. When I have some money together, I'm going to make an offer for it.

As for my own YOB guitar... 1995 is a shit year. You folks from the late 60s and early 70s think you have it bad. There is literally nothing in regular production in 1995 that is of the slightest interest to me.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • equalsql said:
    Being born in 1959... for me, it's a no-brainer  ;)
    Ha I'd lie about my age if they were giving them away but I don't have a quarter mil lying about anyway! 
  • an '87 Alpine White Les Paul Custom for me

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    Bucket said:

As for my own YOB guitar... 1995 is a shit year. You folks from the late 60s and early 70s think you have it bad. There is literally nothing in regular production in 1995 that is of the slightest interest to me.
    I was going to say how about an Ibanez Universe? Until I read the Wiki page and found that "No Universes were produced in 1995 due to low demand." That is very bad luck :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Neil said:
    I don't think I'd ever get one as my DOB is the year the Les Paul came out.  :(
    Les was gay?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I was born on John Lennon's Birthday in 1972.

I guess if there was one of the models Lennon was using at the time it would be appropriate, he was a huge influence on my young life.

I'm no expert on 70's guitars so I'm struggling to think of one now.
    ICBM said:
    Bucket said:

I was going to say how about an Ibanez Universe? Until I read the Wiki page and found that "No Universes were produced in 1995 due to low demand." That is very bad luck :).
    Even if there was, I don't want one :lol:

One Ibanez from 1995 that I would go for is the John Petrucci model, as I mentioned when I originally posted on this thread back in 2014. They're very rare and expensive though.

https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--1r7eqKW_--/a_exif,c_limit,e_unsharp_mask:80,f_auto,fl_progressive,g_south,h_620,q_90,w_620/v1498916153/svxk78pb2fjeek3szgjr.jpg
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    Bucket said:

One Ibanez from 1995 that I would go for is the John Petrucci model, as I mentioned when I originally posted on this thread back in 2014. They're very rare and expensive though.
    The graphics on it are just *so* 90s .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Bucket said:

The graphics on it are just *so* 90s .
    I know, but...