Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Unsuitable Guitars

What's Hot
LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
"Unsuitable" not being the correct word, really, but: I suppose, like most of us here, I've had guitars that "weren't me".

This Kramer probably being the most overt example.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/Lixarto/Focus_4000-1.jpg

Body shape notwithstanding, it was a lovely instrument to play (fantastic neck profile), and I sometimes wish I still had it.

Over to you.
"I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    80s Fender USA standard strat in Fiesta red, around '87.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Perhaps the thread should be renamed "Unsubtle Guitars" looking at that Kramer?

I owned an SG once. It was a lovely guitar to play, but they scream 'rock' or 'metal' to me. Really not my thing musically. I sold it for that and no other reason....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just about any Strat - I've always loved how they look, but every time I get one - yeurch.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    Loads of fun to play.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72661
    Firebird - too long.

Ibanez ES175 copy - too jazz.

Lowden O10 - too polite and folky.

Ibanez RG750 - too pointy, too Floydy, too thin neck.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM;41345" said:
    Firebird - too long.

LOL! A bit like Sybil Faulty's mother: 'She doesn't like open spaces, enclosed spaces; small spaces, large spaces...'

The strange thing is, we (as in guitarists in general) often buy 'the wrong thing', even KNOWING it's the wrong thing, but do it anyway....

May be there is some deep-rooted psychological reason that none of us understand....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10691
    tFB Trader
    I have a not particularly secret thing about weird and pointy guitars ... and I love playing them where they will cause eyebrows to be raised. Did a country gig a few years ago with a borrowed BC Rich Ironbird.
    I love it me ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Ha - I did use the above Kramer at a folk thing (trad Irish) - several pointed looks, but only one comment:

"Are you all right there with that guitar then, Michael?"

"Oh, aye."

"Right you are. Another drink?" :D
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Perhaps the thread should be renamed "Unsubtle Guitars" looking at that Kramer?

I owned an SG once. It was a lovely guitar to play, but they scream 'rock' or 'metal' to me. Really not my thing musically. I sold it for that and no other reason....
    http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/the-10-greatest-gibson-sg-players-469845/6/6
    (#6: George Harrison. Carlos Santana inexplicably not on this list.)
  • imalone;41394" said:
    (#6: George Harrison. Carlos Santana inexplicably not on this list.)
    I realise plenty of 'non-rockers' play/played them too. It's just that at the time I owned mine (mid 80s) they were just about THE most unfashionable guitar, unless you were in Saxon, or some other (not so) New Wave of British Heavy Metal band.
  • vizviz Frets: 10727
    ICBM;41345" said:
    Firebird - too long.

LOL! A bit like Sybil Faulty's mother: 'She doesn't like open spaces, enclosed spaces; small spaces, large spaces...'

The strange thing is, we (as in guitarists in general) often buy 'the wrong thing', even KNOWING it's the wrong thing, but do it anyway....

May be there is some deep-rooted psychological reason that none of us understand....

"And she's always worried about men following her. I don't know what she thinks they're going to do to her - vomit on her, Basil says."
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Lixarto;2878" said:
    "Unsuitable" not being the correct word, really, but: I suppose, like most of us here, I've had guitars that "weren't me".

This Kramer probably being the most overt example.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/Lixarto/Focus_4000-1.jpg

Body shape notwithstanding, it was a lovely instrument to play (fantastic neck profile), and I sometimes wish I still had it.

Over to you.
    Unsuitable or unsubtle. Never had you down as a Randy Rhodes fan.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I once took my bright green Jackson Soloist to a blues jam.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72661
    Bucket said:
    Most excellent! I strongly believe in using inappropriate guitars. Sometimes you end up with something really unexpectedly brilliant.

I once saw a country player using a Charvel with a Floyd Rose - which looked a bit odd until you heard him do pedal steel impressions with it.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:

I had a Goya ES175 copy, same thing.  It looked cool though. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27236
    edited September 2013
    I had one of the first runs of Gothic Gibson Explorers. Completely brilliant it was, despite bone-crushingly hot pickups.

EDIT: Found a pic. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    Gordon smith gs2, nice to play, sounded ok and cheap. Poor fretwork and Horrible neck heavy balance though. Sold it to a mate who loves it and has now had it for 17 years
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Bucket;41466" said:
    Laura, my jackson has been to a couple of jams. It not everyday you hear/see Pink Floyd played on a jackson...

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• mike_l said:
    Laura, my jackson has been to a couple of jams. It not everyday you hear/see Pink Floyd played on a jackson...

Are you saying that you've given your Jackson a name, and that name is Laura...?
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12678
    1979 Fender Strat Anniversary... bought as it was a "rare" one. 

Yup, rare for a reason... boat anchor that sounded like a £50 Hohner to my ears. Sold to a mate (who begged me to sell it to him) in the mid 90s... he still has it and gigs it every week. It sounds great in his hands...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.