Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Need an inexpensive recording thing

What's Hot

Comments

• What's your budget? You could pick up a cheap M-Audio interface and a Jettenuator then run it from your amp to get your genuine tones. You can record silently from the Jettenuator's line out, then apply cab impulses in Reaper. Sounds complicated, but it's really not.

You could probably do the whole thing for less than £200, without worrying about whether it takes pedals or endless mucking around with parameters to get the right tone.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17664
    tFB Trader
    What's your budget? You could pick up a cheap M-Audio interface and a Jettenuator then run it from your amp to get your genuine tones. You can record silently from the Jettenuator's line out, then apply cab impulses in Reaper. Sounds complicated, but it's really not.

You could probably do the whole thing for less than £200, without worrying about whether it takes pedals or endless mucking around with parameters to get the right tone.
    Hmm that's not a bad idea. 

Does the Jettenuator sound good?
  • Do you have an idevice? Jamup is excellent for this sort of thing. You'd just need an iRig or Apogee whatnot.
    No I don't I'm afraid. 

I have a Macbook Pro, but currently no usable audio interface as my laptop has no firewire.
    But it has Thunderbolt, right?

R.
  • Hmm that's not a bad idea. 

The MicSim emulated out doesn't sound particularly great, but the line out is just a directly attenuated version of the output from the amp. Choose decent impulses, and you're golden.
    <space for hire>
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6398
    Most MAC add-on Audio interfaces are USB/Lightning these days - Firewire is OldSkool

The Apogee ONE is USB for example.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    tFB Trader
    Do you have an idevice? Jamup is excellent for this sort of thing. You'd just need an iRig or Apogee whatnot.
    No I don't I'm afraid. 

I have a Macbook Pro, but currently no usable audio interface as my laptop has no firewire.
    But it has Thunderbolt, right?

R.
    Indeed it does. 

I suppose I could grab one of those though I've no idea if the drivers are available or will work.
    The laptop is my work one so I don't want to getting into buying various Mac specific bits as I don't own a Mac of my own.
  • It's plug-and-play. ie. it Just Works.

R.
    tFB Trader
    It's plug-and-play. ie. it Just Works.

R.
    Oh no I mean the drivers for my soundcard. It's quite an old Roland box and I've never used it on a Mac before.
  • digitalscream;442041" said:
    monquixote said:

Hmm that's not a bad idea. 

The MicSim emulated out doesn't sound particularly great, but the line out is just a directly attenuated version of the output from the amp. Choose decent impulses, and you're golden.
    What impulses do you use?

The best I've tried so far as an all-in-one solution was definitely torpedo wall of sound. I really should buy it, but since the trial ran out I've just been using pod farm...

... Which is less good. By quite a margin.
  • I use the RedWirez free impulse pack with kefIR as the VST loader. It's got a ton of different impulses at all sample rates - loads of mics (including the SM57 and C414 - my favourites - as well as a bunch of ambient impulses), all set up on a Marshall 4x12" with G12M speakers.
    <space for hire>
  • TheCountTheCount Frets: 274
    Tube amp effects send > DAW  with IR's Cheap (free?) if you have the amp already, sounds better than anything I've tried before
    tFB Trader
    I don't have an effects send unfortunately.
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    Tech 21 Fly Rig 5 and a cheap audio interface.   The Fly Rig sounds fantastic.  Can plug it into an amp, pa or audio interface.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639
    edited December 2014
    How about an AMT F1?
    That would be good, but I don't currently have an audio interface as the one I've got is firewire and the laptop I'll be using doesn't have firewire.
    Dang bro.  

Apparently, there *were* issues with the blackstar ID's and recording levels.  I don't know if this has been rectified, I can't find much info online.  

So the THR is probably a really good bet :) 

I had no such trouble? The level going into Samplitude is indeed set by the gain, volume and effect on the ID Core but that is as you would expect from any pre amp. If the amp is too loud you can kill it via the headphone socket. If the level in software is too high Windows should alter it (will check that). If too low well, even at neg 20, even with 16bits you should be able to bring it up for mixing without any extra noise.

Yes, I had Win  set for 100% but you can back it off to zero.

Dave

• How about a focusrite scarlets? I believe that it comes with Guitar Rig bundled inside it. That may be cheap enough.
  • If you get a Scarlett and want to record DI guitars get one with a pad on it.

Without a pad I can clip my inputs when I palm mute with humbuckers - including low output PAFs.  With a pad I'm fine on my 2i4, I think there is more headroom on the 18i20 I have.
  • Have you still got the Tech21 clone to serve as your 'amp'? If so, something like this might be enough.
    tFB Trader
    Have you still got the Tech21 clone to serve as your 'amp'? If so, something like this might be enough.
    I have, but it's quite noisy so I'd rather not use it.
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    edited December 2014
    Before excluding devices for not having a line in you can pick up a splitter very cheaply. This one splits both input and output so plug in your headphone, connect your moddler & your phone/mp3 player etc.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Lev said:
    Before excluding devices for not having a line in you can pick up a splitter very cheaply. This one splits both input and output so plug in your headphone, connect your moddler & your phone/mp3 player etc.

Good idea thanks!