Country music

What's Hot
Now I know that a lot of people don't like Country music,(Drew)but I also wonder if that's mainly due to the stuff they have heard from Nashville or just the thought of it.
Now Country music, like Rock music or R n B covers quite a genre, and I am certainly not gonna try and change anyone's mind about the merits of the music,but after sorting out my show list for tonight and doing my favourite songs of 2014, I was staggered how much great stuff was released. 
I am not sure how many of these names you will know, but if you have any interest in country, try and check them out. Or better still tune in at 7-9 tonight on www.abbey104.com and have a listen. 
For your interest these are some of the acts on. 
Darius Rucker, Kevin Fowler, the Far West, John Fullbright, the Black Lillies, The Howlin' Brothers and quite a few more. 
Cheers, sorry for the plug, but genuinely interested to see if someone gets to hear something they really like. 
Taff

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Plus you can email in and I will give the FB a plug at the same time .
    studio@abbey104.com
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10521
    I like country music, especially country pop crossover artist like Kenny Chesney, Blake Shelton, David Nail and Brad Paisley. Country music is on the up in this country now too with emerging artist like Ward Thomas and The Shires and such. 

Have a good show 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Cheers Danny, on now !
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    I'm very fussy over country music. I like super quick rapid monster technique playing but that's more for just that. I also like some really slow and dark country, however I pretty much hate everything in between. Saying that, I don't own any so I'm maybe just waffling.
  • Playing both tonight ! Savannah Road by Brigitte DeMeyer very dark !!!
  • MrsTheWeary lived in Arkansas 20 odd years ago when contemporary country was really hitting it big so Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, Kentucky Headhunters, that kind of thing. Slick although not as cheesy as the older school stuff.
    Oddly enough I was thinking about @koneguitarist 's taste in music this morning when 3rd Rock From the Sun was on as that is Ben Vaughan playing the theme choon I think.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • There is so much going on in country, as long as you stay away from the Nashville hits !
    we have a webcam on, so if you want to see me replying to you whilst trying to do my show and failing miserably tune in!
  • I think Country Music gets a bad rap for a lot of things but as said here there is some really good music and songs coming through.

That said I think we are all guilty of music prejudice and tribalism at times. As much as I have always prided myself on an open musical mind I still find myself moaning about certain country bands at times :-)

• Same here, just wish some British artists would take it seriously and do it well! we have the talent over here.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4065
    edited December 2014
    Listening now... good stuff... new sounds to me. 

Haha, cheers for the shout out, nice show!
  • No problem thanks for listening, I am passionate about how good music is these days, yet still too many people say old stuff is best. Just gotta look a little harder, there is some wonderful music being written and performed these days.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72968
    edited December 2014
    Same here, just wish some British artists would take it seriously and do it well! we have the talent over here.
    Grand Drive? Not sure if they're still going.

I also like a lot of country - although probably the opposite of many here, I can't stand 'guitar-technique country' or that sort of polished Nashville country-rock. I like dark, alternative, often female-vocal modern country, retro 50s style, original 50s, Western swing, country-folk, song-driven stuff.

Just bringing up the Country category in my iTunes library shows…

Adrienne Young, (edit:) Allison Moorer, Basia Bulat, Bill Monroe, Bob Wills, Brooke Fraser, Calexico, the Carter Family, Charley Pride, Chet Atkins, Dolly Parton, Eamonn Coyne & Chris Drever, Emmylou Harris, Flying Burrito Brothers, Gillian Welch, Gram Parsons, Grand Drive, Hank Williams, Holly Figueroa, Iron & Wine, Johnny Cash, kd lang, (edit: Kathy Mattea) Kate Maki, Laura Cantrell, Lissie, Little Pink, Lucinda Williams, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Mindy Smith, Nancy Griffith, Notting Hillbillies, Stairwell Sisters, Star Wheel Press, The Waifs (all full albums) plus a bunch of others on various compilations.

It's also possible some of the things I have listed as Alternative are actually Country as well.

Star Wheel Press are definitely British too, they're from round here :).

(Edit for added Allison Moorer & Kathy Mattea albums - random finds, pretty good!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RockerRocker Frets: 5018
    Great work @kineguitarist.  Hope the show went well for you.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    edited December 2014
    Yep completely failed to spot this in time. I got into country via one of my cousins (appropriate :)) ) playing Emmylou Harris when I was about 8 or 9, back in the early 80s. And to add to ICBM's list I'd give it an alt.country twist with the Jayhawks, Giant Sand, Neko Case, the Sadies, Glossary, Austin Lucas, Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson.... I could go on.
  • MrsTheWeary lived in Arkansas 20 odd years ago when contemporary country was really hitting it big so Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, Kentucky Headhunters, that kind of thing. Slick although not as cheesy as the older school stuff.
    Oddly enough I was thinking about @koneguitarist 's taste in music this morning when 3rd Rock From the Sun was on as that is Ben Vaughan playing the theme choon I think.

Kenny Vaughan even, doh, that's who I remembered you liked. The theme tune was Ben Vaughn so that was remarkably irrelevant. :\">
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    edited January 2015
    @koneguitarist I thought this was an interesting testament to the state of the current pop/hitmaker/formulaic "country" music coming out of Nashville recently. I was there about 6 months ago and The Big 98 WSIX was playing all of these songs one after the other, and to be honest I too couldn't tell them apart.

Bring back the 3 chords and the truth!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27874
    Play any Bob Young??
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • @TinLip, Funnily enough, I listened to the awards and who won etc, thinking of playing them all on my show.
    But they were mostly crap, and I said so on my show, saying I was going to play the big winners, but couldn't find a song that I thought was good or real country. 
    Before I get accused of being stuck in the mud and thinking it's only the old stuff is great, I then played a whole show of nothing but great country music from 2014, just have to look away from Nashville to find it. 
  • TTony said:
    Play any Bob Young??
    Been playing it at home this evening, didn't have the extra 5tracks on my album !
    Will also play some in my show this Tuesday the 13th. And will give you a lovely mention as well! ;)