Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Blues, is there anyone doing anything new?

What's Hot

Comments

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319

I know I sound like a broken record, but do check out Ian Siegal - collaborator with Matt Schofield, played and recorded with loads of different lineups and steeped in blues but doing something different with it at the same time. Puts on an amazing solo acoustic show as well, if you can catch one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMU1zhYegko

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    shaunm;446914" said:
    Chuffola said:

Quick! Ban him!

He said the JB words!

Haha, people do seem to dislike him around here and I'm not too sure why? Ok, his songs aren't the best but he really is living th dream and he has worked hard to get there. He is also a great guitarist and if he wasn't famous he'd be ok this forum because he is a massive guitar geek
    JB is breaking new ground in one respect. In the last week I've heard adverts for tickets to his next Hammersmith shows on Absolute, LBC AND Talksport believe it or not.

What other bluesman has advertised on talk radio?

Credit where it's due. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12481
    IanSavage;447404" said:
    I know I sound like a broken record, but do check out Ian Siegal - collaborator with Matt Schofield, played and recorded with loads of different lineups and steeped in blues but doing something different with it at the same time. Puts on an amazing solo acoustic show as well, if you can catch one.   
    Plus one, Ian Siegal is great. I first heard him playing solo at a show in my local park and was blown away. (Apparently he got asked one year and just kept turning up). Seen him with various backing bands and with Matt Schofield at the 100 Club and he never fails to deliver.
  • It's not new and its not flash but James Hunter has his own thing going on. Really one of the best singing voices in modern blues and just the tastiest guitar playing. That 60's RnB type style is a million miles away from the modern blues rockers but enormously well done and it's original songs not covers. In the blues band we did a cover of one of his, sounded a very simple 12 bar based song but I assure you drove our drummer mad ( well, madder) trying to get it right. Subtle stuff.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9811
    At the moment I'm enjoying King King. Excellent band
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • telestratjazztelestratjazz Frets: 12
    edited December 2014
    Great band,changing singers,band members,but always top band.

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    If it was really new, wouldn't they call it the pinks or something?
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3852
    Maybe check out some of the fat possum stuff: junior Kimbrough etc.

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3852
    RL Burnside too.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793

Scott McKeon, sorta made two records and then buggered off somewhere into the atmosphere? 

He was a few years below me at school and , I think, had the same guitar teacher (unrelated to the school). I'm glad to see he made something of himself and his website shows he's been sessioning and touring with loads of people (http://www.scottmckeonmusic.com/bio/). He seems to even have his own £200 model of fuzz pedal.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6926
    If new means playing in a helmet - how about Bob Log iii

Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not traditional blues as such, but I love the Unwed Mothers. Bluesy, but different....

• Ref The OP: tbh I don't care if there isn't as I've got most of the classic blues material in my collection and still enjoy hearing it. I'm equally interested in hearing new artists' take on an old song, or new songs that may not follow the old genre to the nth degree but are still recognisable as blues.

I'd hate for someone to come up with a new style that is nothing whatsoever to do with blues, and then call it blues. This has already happened with Rhythm'n'Blues, which we used to call R'n'B, but that term is often mistaken these days for something that has no recognisable connection at all with R'n'B.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Not traditional blues as such, but I love the Unwed Mothers. Bluesy, but different....
    She has a good voice :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1641
    Ref The OP: tbh I don't care if there isn't as I've got most of the classic blues material in my collection and still enjoy hearing it. I'm equally interested in hearing new artists' take on an old song, or new songs that may not follow the old genre to the nth degree but are still recognisable as blues.

I'd hate for someone to come up with a new style that is nothing whatsoever to do with blues, and then call it blues. This has already happened with Rhythm'n'Blues, which we used to call R'n'B, but that term is often mistaken these days for something that has no recognisable connection at all with R'n'B.
    Like you I'm a fan and I love the old stuff and I love new workings of old stuff but I equally enjoy listening to new takes on blues. The continuum album was a great example of this. Great new blues songs but a good tip of the hat to what's gone before.
  • Check out a local (Chester) guy I know called Carl Foulkes-Jones, he has fashioned a bass system involving organ pedals, piano hammers and a double bass without a neck, with which he accompanies himself on guitar and harmonica. Good to see someone doing something a bit different. He has to carry his kit around on a trolley...

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • @telestratjazz Is Chris Cain using a Midtown? Nice tone ...
    Honestly,no idea.I think he is on 335 or similar.Yeah,nice tone from Chris.
    Honestly,no idea.I think he is on 335 or similar.Yeah,nice tone from Chris.
    I just thought the top looked a bit flat for a 335. May be the lighting.
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited December 2014
    Iamnobody said:
    If new means playing in a helmet - how about Bob Log iii

Thanks for posting. This is great. Unlike the rest of the dross posted in here.