Board Games ...

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27718
So, 'tis *that* time of year again.

(is it just me, or is Christmas about the only time when other families play board games??)

Let's play Scabble, Monopoly, Cluedo, what's newish and decentish??
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24681
    Cards Against Humanity.

/thread.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15644
    I'm playing the updated version of monopoly. It has some interesting new rules, things like a chance card that says "your bank has made some poor investment decisions and can no longer honour its debts, collect £6 billion from the taxpayer". The go to jail square has be replaced with a " you avoid jail as the judge felt you'd suffered enough". If you land on a square that is not owned by another player, you get to buy it for a knock down rate then triple the rent for no apparent reason. Obviously, all the utilities were sold off long ago, so they've been replaced by the NHS and education. For a suitable donation to the party of your choice, you now get offered lucrative contracts for which you don't even need to do the work.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Settlers of Catan is a good one. Not new though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Monopoly deal is fun for kids (and adults too!)
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    iPads killed that for us. Sadly. I did tell her, but would she fuck listen.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27718
    Cards Against Humanity.
    I don't think I've ever seen something with such a positive Amazon reviews score!  In my basket, thanks @fretmeister

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4189
    edited December 2014
    Trivial Pursuit is as annoyingly hard as ever. We had an '83 edition that was basically impossible for my wife & I (we're both 27), we assumed the new one would be easier... 

+1 to CAH @Fretmeister, although not if playing with <14yos or people with weak hearts/sensitive minds. :D
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Mousetrap?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24681
    TTony said:
    Cards Against Humanity.
    I don't think I've ever seen something with such a positive Amazon reviews score!  In my basket, thanks @fretmeister

Get the right crowd to play it and it's inappropriately hilarious.
  • King of Tokyo (or the newer version, King of New York) is brilliant. Needs at least three players though. Pandemic is also worth a look. I also love Lost Cities as a quick two player card based game. If you're really keen, visit boardgamegeek.com and look at the ratings...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    edited December 2014
    There's one where you build railways or something that I fancy playing, but I have nobody to play with. 

My V key is broken
  • We just bought Pandemic and it's a great family game if you have kids ages 12+. We're just about to play now, to see if we can beat the disease for the first time
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Operation.

With shots for the grown ups!

• That's ticket to ride. It's pretty good as a simple family game. I'm not a huge fan though it is very, very popular.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7856
    I'd like to get this one day, nobody I know is bothered to play board games though. . .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1589942108

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4053
    Carcassonne is great...  PS it's much easier to score on a piece of paper than on the score-thing that comes with the game.  Some great expansion packs for it too.
  • Cards Against Humanity is hilarious (unless Granny is there - then it's just awkward). Limited replay value but whatever.

Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne are excellent but a bit too tactical for the casual Xmas player.

I strongly recommend Zombies. It's a bit more luck-driven (while still having a modicum of tactics) and has plenty of fun and exciting moments.

• Paul_C said:
    I'd like to get this one day, nobody I know is bothered to play board games though. . .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1589942108

A great game. Fun, varied and well balanced. I prefer co-op games to confrontational ones in general and Arkham Horror is tough enough to make it feel like a good team achievement when you prevent the end of the world. The expansions are fun but only make it harder!
  • This year it's likely to be carcasonne and settlers of catan at our place. Theyre great casual games because although there is some tactical depth you can teach someone the rules within 5 mins and get to playing.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8783
    Grunfeld said:
    Carcassonne is great...  PS it's much easier to score on a piece of paper than on the score-thing that comes with the game.  Some great expansion packs for it too.
    Carcassonne is great for teenagers and above. 

Rummikub works well for any one from six to senility, and surprises younger children that they can play on a level playing field with their elders in a game that doesn't rely on chance.

I realise that neither of these are Board Games, and neither is particularly new.

It sounds as though I need to look at Settlers of Catan
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.