My next project

What's Hot

Comments

• My mate used to own a boat, he left it on the thames unattended for about 4 months when he could'nt be arsed to live it in anymore. When he finally went back it had become a crack den! then he gave it away to some guy he knew that lived on the river. Crazy bloke it was worth about £25k.
    Old Is Gold
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Great little story earlier! The icons don't work for me so I can't give it any kind of thumbs up. I'm guessing there's no scope to try and tow it out?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fatherjackfatherjack Frets: 180
    You won't just be digging down, you'll be digging around - the deeper you go, the wider the hole will have to be to make sure the sides don't collapse in on you - I'm assuming you won't be shoring the sides as you go.

That photo doesn't really give much idea of scale - how much is sticking out, how much is buried?

If you do set up a webcam, it might be an idea to stream it on the Darwin Awards site.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SpiderSpider Frets: 130
    When / if you dig this hulk out from the mud maybe you could use some of the off-cuts from the flooring you did on the inside of the boat, you did finish the flooring didn't ya?
  • fatherjackfatherjack Frets: 180
    I've just realised - this is actually part of a very clever meta-project - to have as many unfinished projects on the go as possible.  I think it's quite a challenge, given the vast number of things the average bloke can manage to not quite complete before getting bored.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Yes, but your in order for your meta-project thesis to work, projects have to be started in the first place. I reckon there's a blockage at the elbows in the case of most of my projects.

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24359
    edited August 2013
    I have many many projects all in various stages of completion.  By that, I mean almost all of them are still in my head.  The ones that are closest to completion are the ones where I've bought something, so they stand a good chance of actually being started at some point - i.e. all the laminate I have in the hallway, the new wellies by the front door etc.

I will venture out and examine the boat this weekend.  I will then decide whether this project is GO or 'err, ahh bollocks to that'.

Thanks for the lovely pic there Chilli. :))
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Emp_Fab said:
    I will venture out and examine the boat this weekend.  I will then decide whether this project is GO or 'err, ahh bollocks to that'.

. :))

£5 says it's the "err, ahh bollocks to that"..........

If it's the former I shall buy Emp a pint......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

edited August 2013

As an aside, I have several "in-head" projects on the go:- There's the front balcony cladding project, the back balcony cladding project, the front of the house cladding project, the rebuild of the dismantled kit car in the garage project, the garden fences (replacement and painting) project, the garage door springs project (might actually have to start that one as I can't now open the garage door), the kitchen refurb project, the bathroom refurb project, the living room refurb project, and the massive amount of paperwork in and around my filing cabinet that needs sorting/shredding project. In addition, I need to sort out what I'm doing pension-wise, and no doubt there are several other projects I have pending but have probably forgotten about, until Mrs C reminds me they need my attention.

All but one of these could be easily solved by a massive injection of cash, but as my only son has singularly failed to win the Euro-Millions lottery (despite the fact that he promised me faithfully he had the winning numbers), I think there's a good chance that some projects will remain pipe-dreams for some time to come.

Of course, prior to the Internet, there was a far greater prospect of projects coming to fruition and actually being completed, because I spend all my time researching them to the nth degree rather than actually doing them in the first place. I somehow suspect I may not be alone in this.

Anyway, all that research has not been in vain, because I remember reading somewhere that laminate flooring has to sit and acclimatise to the temperature and humidity in the locale, hence there's good reasoning for Emp not fitting it as yet.

@Mike - I think your money's safe.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Anyway, all that research has not been in vain, because I remember reading somewhere that laminate flooring has to sit and acclimatise to the temperature and humidity in the locale, hence there's good reasoning for Emp not fitting it as yet.

You are indeed correct. However, the instructions suggest 48h as a suitable acclimatisation period. Four months is a little excessive. The dog has pissed up against the stack in the kitchen at least once, so it may not end up looking its best when I finally do get it down.
    Well, let's face it, the dog was bound to piss on it at some point in time, whether it was stacked in the hall, or laid on the floor. Look at it as being road worn.

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    chillidoggy said:
    Well, let's face it, the dog was bound to piss on it at some point in time, whether it was stacked in the hall, or laid on the floor. Look at it as being road worn.
    Relic'd flooring?
    T.V. Yellow finish?

Any news on the dig?

• Fair's fair Chilli, our great Emp has finished messing with his phone, don't knacker him out by making him finish 2 projects in one month >:)
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27621
    Any news on the dig?
    I'm getting a little worried.

A pair of new Welles washed up on the "beach" ....

A dog howling, unfed, in the hallway, having tried to survive on nothing but (bad-tasting) laminate flooring for days ...

TEmp Fab .... Lost at sea .... 

Should we call someone?

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited August 2013
    Bleedin' hell Chilli - give me a chance !  I've only just got the mobile sorted !.  Tomorrow, however, is wellies, camera and boat day !!  I'd better check the tides now...  Low water is about 3.30pm, which is great... I can take a long walk right out into the sands - where I have never been before !!  I've overlooked them for nine years - never set foot on them !
  • If you find any whale bone let me know...........
    Old Is Gold
  • Emp_Fab said:
     I've overlooked them for nine years - never set foot on them !
    So they're definitely safe then? *cocklepickers, ahoy*
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...