Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I am going to buy a Chinese guitar!

What's Hot
WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
I have read enough reviews and watched enough Youtube vids about Chinese guitars to a point where I am going to buy one. I haven't decided what yet but I need to know which factories/sellers are the best and which are the worst.

Let's have the lowdown with tales of horror and awesomeness so I can choose a supplier.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited December 2014
    /\ @Wolfetone

I bought from this merchant:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Wholesale-Free-shipping-custom-1956-goldtop-with-P90-pickups-electric-guitar-LP-guitar/321987_843921426.html

store nos 321987  (Dylan Shops) a while ago and was more than impressed.

* Firstly, your money is held in escrow until you tell the seller it has arrived safely - I paid on credit card and was no issue - I checked with my vendor to see if there were any previous complaints of misdoing against an AliExpress purchase and was none.

* Secondly the delivery was only 11 days!  - Yes 11 days from China to Surrey!!

* Thirdly, money is still not released until you confirm are happy with condition. I had a couple of defects that I negotiated a discount and was given without batting an eyelid. Showed up on next credit card statement as promised.

* Fourthly - seller enters into detailed conversation with you if needed - he is called 'Dave'!

Downside - Customs will charge VAT and import and you will have to pay and collect it from Parcel Force dept probbo

All in all it made it a better deal than Thomann!

Oh and product was well made and bloody heavy!

(it wasn't the item that is shown though - my deal totaled only £98 inc customs/VAT with the discount for defectes!)

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I bought from this merchant:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Wholesale-Free-shipping-custom-1956-goldtop-with-P90-pickups-electric-guitar-LP-guitar/321987_843921426.html

store nos 321987  (Dylan Shops) a while ago and was more than impressed.

* Firstly, your money is held in escrow until you tell the seller it has arrived safely - I paid on credit card and was no issue - I checked with my vendor to see if there were any previous complaints of misdoing against an AliExpress purchase and was none.

* Secondly the delivery was only 11 days!  - Yes 11 days from China to Surrey!!

* Thirdly, money is still not released until you confirm are happy with condition. I had a couple of defects that I negotiated a discount and was given without batting an eyelid. Showed up on next credit card statement as promised.

* Fourthly - seller enters into detailed conversation with you if needed - he is called 'Dave'!

Downside - Customs will charge VAT and import and you will have to pay and collect it from Parcel Force dept probbo

All in all it made it a better deal than Thomann!

Oh and product was well made and bloody heavy!

(it wasn't the item that is shown though - my deal totaled only £98 inc customs/VAT with the discount for defectes!)
    Was the quality good enough on these?
  • I bought one of these and was very impressed by the service and the product.

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4139
    edited December 2014
    What type of guitar are you after? Here's my blogumentary;

And then the post-arrival mods that I had planned for it;

*edit* I've been toying with ordering a customised one of these too with similar tweaks as I went with before;

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    57Deluxe said:

What did the guitar look like then?
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I keep wishing for a goldtop 335 style guitar.  This might be a way forward while Gibson don't seem to be making them.  I must say I'm impressed with the idea of the money being released when you're happy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_P said:
    I keep wishing for a goldtop 335 style guitar.  This might be a way forward while Gibson don't seem to be making them. 
    Err, like this one?

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    John_P said:
    I keep wishing for a goldtop 335 style guitar.  This might be a way forward while Gibson don't seem to be making them. 
    Err, like this one?

oops.    Exactly like that - although if I was being really picky I'd prefer inlays rather than dots.    I'll have a look for a supplier and start adding to the gas fund then!     Thanks :)
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    What type of guitar are you after? 
    I may opt for a PRS. Never owned one so a knockoff would be a taster. My priority is woodworking and finish. The price should be competitive but isn't as important as the quality.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ^ In that case, get yourself an SE and save yourself the bother. 

There's not much point in going for a Chibson/Chender/ChiRS or anything if you can get basically the same thing from an established brand at roughly the same price-point. The SE's are some of the best/most consistent guitars on the market, and if you go used then they're one of the best bargains too.

I'm (clearly) not criticising the concept of going for a copy, but I wouldn't recommend it when you have perfectly viable alternatives unless you have very specific wish-list and are prepared/able to fix/pay for any faults/imperfections yourself. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Wolfetone;457850" said:
    guitargeek62 said:

What type of guitar are you after? 

I may opt for a PRS. Never owned one so a knockoff would be a taster. My priority is woodworking and finish.
    It's safe to say that a fake Chinese PRS will be nothing like the real thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ^ Exactly.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    I'd listen to @guitargeek32 on this one. I followed his Chibson threads with interest and he's got a guitar he loves that is specced to his desires, but took some fiddling, finishing and compromises on the way. It certainly didn't put me off the idea of going down the same route but (correct me if I'm wrong) when the final spend inc upgrades and fixes made himself at this end was in the region of 400 quid then you have a broad range of options on the new and used market that have the advantage of being a known quantity with proven manufacturer/dealer backup and the possibility of trying before you buy, not to mention predictable resale values. I do like the idea of having something made to my spec for an affordable price though, it does appeal!
  • I was wondering if I could get a Strandberg style 7 string.....see how I get on with it till I decide to splash out on a real one!  Any suggestions where to look?  PS - I know this is a necrobump!
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    The thing with Chinese guitars - you can play a really satisfying riff but then an hour later you need to play another one.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've had a change of heart...a nice fan fret Harley Benson from Thomann is a much better idea...
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    andyg_prs said:
    I've had a change of heart...a nice fan fret Harley Bessom from Thomann is a much better idea...
    FTFY
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    edited November 2019
    thegummy said:
    The thing with Chinese guitars - you can play a really satisfying riff but then an hour later you need to play another one.
    And they all look the same.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    I have the following Chinese guitars:
    • Aria Pro II PE Elite = very nice.
    • Ovation Celebrity CC-243 = very very nice!
    • Squier Affinity Strat = feels, plays, and sounds like a Strat should.
    • Hamer Slammer = plays really well, this would be ideal for a punk band.
    • Squier Affinity Precision = can't grumble at £50 s/h.
    • A Danelectro 59 reissue = sounds exactly right when I play Black Mountain Side and Kashmir.
    On the flipside:
    • I had one of a batch ordered by someone in a neighbouring town and it was a pile of toot.
    • I acquired a 4/6 headless doubleneck a couple of weeks ago = the bass bridge/tuner is poop, hoping the replacement I've ordered for £25 is OK.
    • Their Rickenbacker bass "copies" are hideous.
    • I bought a pair of Rickenbacker(ish) "toaster" pickups = they are a pile of flimsy cheapo rubbish.
    So, overall I think that the ones where the established brands who set up there with properly skilled staff and quality control can make instruments to a very high standard (as good as anywhere in the world).

However, the cheap fakes/counterfeits are not made under those conditions and it's pot luck what you get.