Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I am going to buy a Chinese guitar!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• 57Deluxe said:
    andyg_prs said:
    I've had a change of heart...a nice fan fret Harley Bessom from Thomann is a much better idea...
    FTFY
    FTFY?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossi said:
    A wise move . Harley Benton are the poor mans Chibson,Their fan ferrets are really just  badly fretted rejects  but its great marketing  wheeze .
    All the reviews I have read praise the HB fretwork?
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
  • rossirossi Frets: 1705
    andyg_prs said:
    rossi said:
    A wise move . Harley Benton are the poor mans Chibson,Their fan ferrets are really just  badly fretted rejects  but its great marketing  wheeze .
    yup irony is painful teacher
  • rossi said:
    andyg_prs said:
    rossi said:
    Is your first language English?
  • KRAjpKRAjp Frets: 5
    I’ve had a couple - one chibson LP standard that was a decent guitar, around Epiphone quality
    A dirt cheap jazzmaster that I quickly gave away, not even affinity quality. You won’t know if it’s worth it until you get it, so just now that you’re taking a risk!
  • phil_b said:
    I've played the guitar I'll go for if a 7-string works for me....so just looking for a budget intro.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Fender China. Very nice too. The tuners are shite but otherwise I can't fault it. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was tempted years ago then read of some that didn’t even have truss rods , just any old bit of metal shoved in. It’s a big gamble 
  • rossirossi Frets: 1705
    edited November 2019
    andyg_prs said:
    rossi said:
    andyg_prs said:
    rossi said:
    Is your first language English?
    no.ime from suffuck
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've got 5  Harley Benton's it's a bit hit and miss as far as QC goes. 2 I've had a couple of high frets on, 2 were pretty near perfectly set up. The acoustic one the action was very high and I had to shave a a few mm off the saddle. They are good for the price, obviously they are probably not for the serious musician. 
    Thomann offer 30 day money back or replacement  policy so if you do get a lemon your covered. OK for beginners or if your on a budget. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    edited November 2019
    ^ In that case, get yourself an SE and save yourself the bother. 

There's not much point in going for a Chibson/Chender/ChiRS or anything if you can get basically the same thing from an established brand at roughly the same price-point. The SE's are some of the best/most consistent guitars on the market, and if you go used then they're one of the best bargains too.

I'm (clearly) not criticising the concept of going for a copy, but I wouldn't recommend it when you have perfectly viable alternatives unless you have very specific wish-list and are prepared/able to fix/pay for any faults/imperfections yourself.
    I'm interested in the new PRS SE Hollowbody models, but I see that these are made by Cor-Tek in China - at a price point of £899 and £999 apiece, I had assumed they'd be from the Korean plant, or the new Indonesian one, so my interest has cooled a bit.
    It's probably unfair to judge until I play one, but a grand buys plenty of US-made S2 models, or a multitude of SEs, so these Chinese ones need to be good....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited November 2019
    andyg_prs said:
    57Deluxe said:
    andyg_prs said:
    I've had a change of heart...a nice fan fret Harley Bessom from Thomann is a much better idea...
    FTFY
    FTFY?
    Harley Bessoms...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    The SE  P90 semi hollowbody maple cap  I had years ago was very nice ,It was better after a pickup upgrade to Toneriders but played well .iI did cost more than a Harley though .I didnt get on with its flat wide neck so much as Gibson or Fender though so it went .Good quality though .I suppose one thing about Chinese guitars is you rarely get neck and fret specs though I think its improving .