Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

TheFretboard "Cool Wall'

What's Hot

Comments

• Lew;459513" said:
    @richardhomer I think my Suhr Modern is pretty cool!
    Good!

I think my PRS McCarty is cool but you can't 'play' that in a thread like this.

In fact when I started exactly the same thread a few weeks ago (it was clearly 'a joke') the number of people who piled in with 'what an uncool thread' type comments was amazing.

Clearly Christmas is the right time....
    do you want a cuddle mate?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1947

Koolest....The Simms Watts logo

Unkoolest...Middle aged white trash connected to a Two Rock with Mogami cable (partially guilty) or anything with bright coloured flametop (not guilty)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzbox;459626" said:
    do you want a cuddle mate?
    Please....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited December 2014
    @richardhomer haha aye
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited December 2014
    GavHaus;459345" said:
    Cool: this product demo video:

Hmmm I imagine they are closet christians and off the wall pnw guys ;-) but I do enjoy the odd coffee n riffs I must admit
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have to agree about aged being very uncool! I own a Vintage Icon V100 and when I get that out people don't even comment on it! They just sorta look at me like I'm a wannabe... I take that as a hint and stopped playing it. Real Epiphones and Gibsons are better anyway.

I would have to stick another couple in the fridge too!

Someone else has already posted Cabronita Tele with Bigsby. What is it about me and Bigsbys?! Probably cos everything I own at the moment is hard-tail! I haven't had anything with a floating bridge to any extent since I sold the Ibanez I used to have. Or the cream Squier Bullet Strat!

And the other I would have to stick in the fridge is the Epiphone Wildkat! Didn't see that coming did you?! Seems like there's not many around. They look great though! I have a soft spot for them. If I ever find one I'm gonna have it if it's the right price! Oh and they have Bigsbys too, surprise surprise!

On ageing: but but but Tom Murphy aged Gibsons?! No?!

On signature models: yes there's some hideously uncool ones - Zakk Wylde, Dimebag, Joe Bonamassa, Chad Kroeger of Nickelback (if his name wasn't associated to the guitar it was a beautiful guitar!!)

However there's some I would buy! The Slash Rosso... I'd buy a Pearly Gates!! A Joe Perry Boneyard LP (seriously if you've never played one - just lock yourself in a room and play that through a 60w Blackstar combo they're beastly guitars!!) A Neal Schon LP. And I loved Chickenfoot and it's a really great guitar, in every way, so the Sammy Hagar Red Rocker LP with the Chickenfoot scrawl 'pon the 'stock! It was a really good price when it came out I seek to remember...
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • I have serious man crushes on all involved :D
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Gagaryn said:
    Cool -
    oh man, cool beyond cool.  I am very, very rarely envious.  But I'm envious.
  • Lixarto said:
    Nobody will get this right of course. Including me.
    I guess that's the point. Nobody will ever agree.

Mind you, there's a distressing amount of old stuff here. Everybody knows that old stuff isn't cool.
    <space for hire>
  • My submission before the jury:   (Stupidly sold the Lazy J 40 on the left earlier this year though...)

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2888
    What a pair ^^^
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    After reading through the previous posts I've come to conclusion that I am seriously uncool by the standards on TFB and on the border line of becoming a Hipster!!!

Rather than post some obvious examples of vintage "sub zero" guitars I thought I'd put my neck on the line and get ready to be shot down in flames by the cool kids on here.

I actually like the look of reliced guitars when it's done with some style.  The following I'd consider to be on my own "cool wall".

imageimageimageimageimage

After all I've got this on the way:

And some serious GAS for one of these right now!!!
    1reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    ^ You are quite right on all counts... all the ones that don't have fkin Bigsbys anyway.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    edited December 2014
    I still don't quite get why some people are so affronted by the idea of a pre-aged finish... In many ways it's just like buying a pair of jeans with a slightly worn-in look and in terms of say, Fano or the Fender Custom Shop, the biggest advantage is how comfortable the necks feel after the relic'ing treatment has been applied. All that said, there's definitely a point where it can go too far and the totally trashed look doesn't do it for me. But I think tasteful ageing can be extremely cool, as can a new design made to look old such as the Fano RB6 Thinline, which was one of the the stone cold highlights of the year in terms of gear that's come into the office. Top of the cool tree for me (this week!) would be an original '54 Goldtop... just stupidly good looking instruments. Oh for £30k or so....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    chrisv said:
    I still don't quite get why some people are so affronted by the idea of a pre-aged finish... In many ways it's just like buying a pair of jeans with a slightly worn-in look and in terms of say, Fano or the Fender Custom Shop, the biggest advantage is how comfortable the necks feel after the relic'ing treatment has been applied. All that said, there's definitely a point where it can go too far and the totally trashed look doesn't do it for me. But I think tasteful ageing can be extremely cool, as can a new design made to look old such as the Fano RB6 Thinline, which was one of the the stone cold highlights of the year in terms of gear that's come into the office. Top of the cool tree for me (this week!) would be an original '54 Goldtop... just stupidly good looking instruments. Oh for £30k or so....
    This.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • chrisv;459858" said:
    Aye, no doubt, and not affronted. I like some, they look great!

But this isn't really about how they look or feel, it's about coolness. I think a genuinely worn guitar (whether new or old) is cooler than a new one that someone has fake-worn for you.

It doesn't take long at all to get some scratches and dings, and within a few years, a thin skin nitro will be quite worn in places. That's cooler I think, although not necessarily as nice looking!
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    These are cool. Fender MIM Standard Strats and Teles in bright attractive colours. No fuss, no muss - buy one for cheap and play it. 

Nothing is less cool than effort. Imagine the painstaking work required to relic guitars to look like old ones, or fussily swapping pickups until you get the exact sound you'd imagined. Or combining elements of other guitars to come up with a Telemaster, or swapping the stock bridge for some intricate piece of engineering, or replacing the trem block for a brass one. Is that cool?

• timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    Disclaimer: this is my coolest guitar :-/

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Plus relics don't lose any value if you ding them.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8538
    I agree about Juniors, Esquires and most single pickup guitars. Running through my guitars, Hmmmm, Strat with 2 post trem and some flame in the neck, not cool. Gibson Midtown, definately not cool. I leave it to these to get flamed, I think T shape guitars are inherently cool, even when the design is messed with.

Schecter USA PT

LA Cab