Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

TheFretboard "Cool Wall'

What's Hot

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    juansolo said:

That wez chap knows a thing or two about creating awesome instruments, doesn't he? 

I love the carved top strat. Very classy. Although I'd have a strat trem or a hard tail strat bridge, which I think would elevate it into being rather cool.
    That was my fault, I wanted a mahogany bodied super strat with a wraparound and HH layout. The body is quite thin and when he carved the top also, I realised it had become a SG/Strat mash-up. Again, I love it, but of all I can see it being the most love it or hate it of them.

Here it is covered in mucky paw prints

Love it as it is. A trem would put it back into regular, boring, Superstrat territory. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolo;461278" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

That wez chap knows a thing or two about creating awesome instruments, doesn't he? 

I love the carved top strat. Very classy. Although I'd have a strat trem or a hard tail strat bridge, which I think would elevate it into being rather cool.

That was my fault, I wanted a mahogany bodied super strat with a wraparound and HH layout. The body is quite thin and when he carved the top also, I realised it had become a SG/Strat mash-up. Again, I love it, but of all I can see it being the most love it or hate it of them.

http://juansolo.co.uk/misc/Guitars/stratsg.jpg
    Ooo that picture really shows off the finish, too. Nice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lixarto;461115" said:
    alanbass1 said:

I just love telecasters, so here are mine for the cool wall:

My '56 Tele (all original except one tuner and I currently have straplocks fitted):

You've just won the forum.
    Beat me to it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I don't own any cool guitars. My Epi 339 is pretty, but I don't think it's particularly cool.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    juansolo said:

needs a bigsby! 
    ;)
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    juansolo said:
    For the jury. Obviously I think they're all cool, but I can understand a lot not liking the StratSG

http://juansolo.co.uk/misc/Guitars/family.jpg

Mustang to follow when I've finished modding it.
    That's a great line up!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    LOL, no Bigsby!

Only the Mustang missing from the pic and that'll get posted when it gets it's new bridge on in the new year.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    edited December 2014
    alanbass1 said:

I also like my Gibson '59 Re-issue which I got when based in the US. It just had the coolest top (to my eyes anyway):

@alanbass1

Utterly jaw-dropping. Magnificent and I agree re top.

Totally uncool though. Put a Bigsby on it and into the Fridge it'll go....

;)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• so when will this cool wall turn into amp territory? 

• bigfuzz;461426" said:
    so when will this cool wall turn into amp territory? 
    Problem is, most amps are really uncool.

Old Marshall, fender, orange = cool.

Most new amps less so.

Most boutique "flavour of the month name brand that tgp arbitrarily likes more than others" brands are fairly uncool.

Marshall mgdfx is in the fire.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    If we're doing amps, into the fridge with mine

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:

you would have to take that out to accommodate mine 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Gassage said:

you would have to take that out to accommodate mine 
    loved playing through one of these at a rehearsal studio, the other guitarist was running this Marshall TSL job, painful to listen to next to this
  • I suspect one of my guitars is seriously uncool because it has a quilt maple veneer (Hagstrom Select Ultra Swede).  It plays really well IMO, and I bought it because it's a bit different from the legions of LP copies, but it's a bit flash.
    One of these (although mine's not quite so light coloured)image

But I've got a TV yellow Melody Maker Special with P90s, which although it's a modern one I reckon still counts as quite cool.
    (Again, not my actual one)image

Generally I'd put anything pointy at the seriously uncool end (specially if the pickups are green or pink).  I'm not much of a Fender fan either, although a tatty Tele is pretty cool.

In the freezer for me would have to be an old orange 6120 with Bigsby, or a nice old cherry 335.
    How on earth could you hear the weedy TSL?

What do you think the MV pot is for?

It's for WORLD DOMINATION.

• Gassage said:
    How on earth could you hear the weedy TSL?

What do you think the MV pot is for?

It's for WORLD DOMINATION.
    very true, loved how it took my suite of fuzz... shame i'd never be able to carry the head home (let alone switch it on in the flat)
    I can't understand why no-one really builds an amp that sounds as good in the modern age (Reeves clones aside)

• Gassage;461501" said:
    I can't understand why no-one really builds an amp that sounds as good in the modern age (Reeves clones aside)
    I suspect some builders would happily undertake a Hiwatt style build :)

The problem comes back to fashion and marketing. Remember when tone benders were the pedal to own and everyone went bonkers?

Now it's blackface style and modded Marshall. So that's what builders churn out.

But find a smaller one who's happy to do custom work and they might be more able to help. I know mjw is happy to create kt88 amps - I may ask about something broadly Hiwatt sounding, but smaller.

Although I'm tempted to find an old silverface head and send it to him for a full work over.
    I think one of the things is th transformers. They were built like no other.
    @icbm may shed light onto this....

• Gassage said:
    I think one of the things is th transformers. They were built like no other.
    @icbm may shed light onto this....
    Could be, but if replica parts are available... 

I don't know.  One day, Hiwatt will be in fashion because of some American builder who chooses to release one with a YouTube artist sponsorship and product demo, TGP will collectively wet themselves at how it is the missing link in their chain, and you'll be able to get the transformers from several companies because they're in demand again. 

I think I suffer from cynicism. ;)