What head/cab for home use?

What's Hot
hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
Hiya. I'm looking to get a low wattage valve head (or something switchable down to a low wattage) and a 1x12 or 2x12 cab for home use, basically to replace my crappy Marshall SS practice amp. It'll need a line in and headphone socket. The reason I'm after a head and cab is so I can get other heads in the future as well as using the cab as as an extension for my JD30-T.

Budget is as low as possible... :D

Any suggestions?

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• For a low budget 2x12 the Harley Benton Vintage 30 cab is very tough to beat.  http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

They also make a 1x12 but I have no experience with it http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g112vintage.htm

What tones are you looking for amp wise?

Used Blackstar HT1/R or HT5/R would have line in and headphone socket and shouldn't be too expensive.  Through V30s the HT1 is loud enough for home, you won't get a very loud clean but it'd be loud enough for home playing providing you don't play really loud at home.  The HT5 would be plenty loud on clean or overdrive channels.  I'm not sure what other amps have those features.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Line6 DT amp series have a "quiet mode" switch, but even without they sound very good at home levels. Not the cheapest of all amps, but they go for crazy bargain prices over last few weeks. New! Especially combos, but heads too.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72933
    edited January 2015
    Line in and headphone (at least if it's a proper emulated one, which is the only kind worth having) restricts the choice severely in valve amps, but the Blackstar HT-1RH fits the bill.

The Harley Benton cabs are unbeatable for the money - barely more than the cost of the speaker, and that's a good speaker.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1649

You can also use a very simple and cheap resistive power soak twixt HT-5 and HB. Almost put one in a baccy tin!

Dave.

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    That HB cab looks about right mate, thanks for that. There's an even cheaper version for less than £100, I think the only difference is the speakers.

I thought about the DT-25 head, but I was concerned that all the fancy mechanical switching inside would be unreliable? It'd be nice to have that versatility though.

Tone-wise I need a good clean as well as dirt but it doesn't matter too much if it only happens at low volume.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    edited January 2015
    The HT1R does have a (very good) emulated line-out which doubles as a headphone socket.

The drive sounds are great.

Why do you need a line-in - they almost never sound good on a guitar amp?

If it's for silent practice, you'd probably be better off with a Pocket Pod, or something similar.

Edit: It DOES have a line in - but based on a brief test I've just carried out, I stand by my assertion that it doesn't sound very good (although it probably sounds 'good enough'....)
  • If it's for home use and volume, then it might be a better idea to go for the cheaper cab - or even the Jet City JCA24S (£114), which I know sound great. V30s are not ideal if you want to keep the volume down, because they're significantly louder than a lot of other speakers.
    <space for hire>
    I play along to backing tracks, and a line in works really well for this purpose for me.

• The HT1R doesn't have a line in 

The one I used to own definitely did.  Here's a stock photo I found.

• vizviz Frets: 10762
    I have the 1x12 vintage 30 (actually it was a carvin but i believe the HB one is identical) and it's great and so cheap. Mine was 119 euros.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6406
    A THR5 or THR10 would be money better spent IMHO
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72933
    hobbio said:
    That HB cab looks about right mate, thanks for that. There's an even cheaper version for less than £100, I think the only difference is the speakers.
    No, the cheaper version is MDF - just not as good a cab. Get the 'Vintage' one, which is ply.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Cool, thanks.

I'll look at a THR too.

• TheCountTheCount Frets: 274

hobbio said:
    That HB cab looks about right mate, thanks for that. There's an even cheaper version for less than £100, I think the only difference is the speakers
    NOOOOO - NOOOOOO - FIREWOOD - AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!!!!
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    guitarfishbay;466448" said:
    richardhomer said:

The HT1R doesn't have a line in

The one I used to own definitely did.  Here's a stock photo I found.
    My god I'm getting old - I've just checked mine and its 'grown' one.

Clearly I'm a man who needs to see his optician more frequently....

My apologies. I will edit my previous post.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Blackstar ht5 "stack" I have one (think I have a buyer for it), covers all your requirements and they look pretty nice too.
    Anderton's have the HT5R half stack at £419 atm, hmmm....

hobbio;466622" said:
    Anderton's have the HT5R half stack at £419 atm, hmmm....
    Depending on location I can do one in Ltd edition colour for £119 cheaper than that :D

Do you have it advertised here?

hobbio;466735" said:
    Do you have it advertised here?
    umm yes I listed about a week ago I think so God knows what page it's on now, I will find it and bump it now.