Do you buffer?

What's Hot
therose789therose789 Frets: 467
Im currently in the middle of selling all my pedals to start my pedalboard again. 

Where i play regularly i have to run quite long cable lengths and im just wondering if using a buffer would help get the most out of my gear? 

Do you buff and if so what do you use? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    I've got a clone of the Pete Cornish buffer that I built. If you look on the PedalParts website I think it's called the Cream Buffer.

I definitely noticed a significant improvement when I put a buffered pedal in front of about 5 or 6 true bypass ones.  I initially used a Tube Screamer.  I think the Cornish buffer is a little better but the TS gets you 85% of the way there, and the extra 15% may be my imagination.

The Soul Food has a klone of the Klon buffer in it.  That's meant to be very good.  Given the price it's probably the best way to get a buffer if you don't have a Boss/Ibanex pedal with a buffer built in.
  • I have a tu2, will that have a buffer in it? 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11916

I have a buffer pedal but it is not on the board, only because I have 2 buffers in the board that I cannot bypass.

There is a buffer input in my bypass looper, this is at the start of the chain, just after the fuzz.
    Then half way through, I have a Ernie Ball MVP which has a built in buffer.

I figure there is no point adding another buffer into the chain, add to that, my FX loop on my amp apparently also is buffered !

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Do you lift bro?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I have a tu2, will that have a buffer in it? 
    Yes. Perfect solution. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24623
    Aye.

I have a Koko Boost. It's a buffer as well.
  • It's all personal preference. The switching system I use has it selectable per preset. I tend to buffer my cleans and low gain but on higher gain stuff I like it darker so the buffer gets switched off. 

Analogman reckons a TU2 is as good a buffer as any. 
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    TU 3 works great as a buffer. My leads in and out of my pedal board are 25ft and my signal sounds great.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Alnico said:
    TU 3 works great as a buffer. My leads in and out of my pedal board are 25ft and my signal sounds great.
    This

The Tu2/3 do a great job.  I've posted this before but it really is a helpful/nerdy watch

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2365
    Yup. I pretty much use my soul food up front (for the reason crunchman said- it's no dearer than most decent standalone buffers, and you get a pedal too).

I have a couple of others downwind as well just because they're in the pedals anyway. But I sort of need the soul food upfront to cure a couple of half-assed bypass pedals.

But yeah if you have a TU-2 it's meant to have a decent buffer. Some of the other boss ones aren't so great but the tuners have the rep of having decent ones I think (haven't really tried them).
  • JadenJaden Frets: 251
    YES !

I'll get mah coat :p
    Jaden Rose Guitars :: Jaden Rose Guitars on Facebook :: My Facebook :: YouTube

The young do not know enough to be prudent, therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Nope.

I have broadband now so YouTube loads a lot faster!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72619
    Jaden said:
    YES !

I hope that's not yours...

If it is, you've got the switch box and the emergency stop in the most dangerous possible location.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    I've never really understood the buffering thing very well. However, I have owned a couple of pedals that got noisy unless run straight after my TU 2 so I know it does something.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    A buffer is like night and day you will hear the difference. I like my board to sound the same as guitar direct to amp. Some pedals have great buffers'buy one of those and move things around till things sound nice in your ears.
    ICBM said:
    Jaden said:
    YES !

I hope that's not yours...

If it is, you've got the switch box and the emergency stop in the most dangerous possible location.
    yea its mine, the switch box is in a great position cos I can rest my bar of polish compound on it :)

The young do not know enough to be prudent, therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72619
    Jaden said:
    yea its mine, the switch box is in a great position cos I can rest my bar of polish compound on it :)
    Seriously, it's dangerous there. Pressing the on button is automatically going to put your sleeve far too close to the wheel, and if anything gets snagged you'll get hit by it when you're trying to press the stop button.

You need to move it to somewhere you can press it without being in the line of the wheel.

[/boring but important safety thread hijack]

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

its offset from the wheel mate, imagine moving a few feet left in the pic..
    its left of the wheel itself by quite a bit...
    I dont wear loose clothing either, almost everything I own is dangerous... bandsaw, loads of routers, cnc machines, 2 planers, a thicknesser - blah blah..