Do you buffer?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72858
    edited January 2015
    Jaden said:
    its offset from the wheel mate, imagine moving a few feet left in the pic..
    its left of the wheel itself by quite a bit...
    I dont wear loose clothing either, almost everything I own is dangerous... bandsaw, loads of routers, cnc machines, 2 planers, a thicknesser - blah blah..
    Yes, but there's no need to make things more dangerous than they should be. There's no way you can reach that box without putting your arm over the machine - even if it's offset slightly it's still really not safe there. Switchgear and emergency stops should not be sited where you can't reach them without being in the danger area of the machine they're controlling, for obvious reasons...

Sorry, just slipped back into workshop supervisor mode again there for a bit :). I will shut up now. I feel better for having said it though, it's not my fault for having not said anything if you have an accident ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    joeyowen said:
    Alnico said:
    TU 3 works great as a buffer. My leads in and out of my pedal board are 25ft and my signal sounds great.
    This

The Tu2/3 do a great job.  I've posted this before but it really is a helpful/nerdy watch

maybe my ears are not well trained...but i only (barely) hear three different tones here...

the first one is obviously different

then theres the longer cable one...i didnt really hear a difference from the type of cable

then there's the buffer in the chain...i didnt really hear any difference between types of buffers or stacked buffers...

The buffer helps...but i think in these examples its not that big a difference. I wonder if he used a 5-10 pedal chain then the difference would be more amplified...?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jaden said:
    YES !

I'll get mah coat :p

Gotta say I'm kinda jealous of the amount of money @Jaden must be saving on loo paper.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PureTonePedalsPureTonePedals Frets: 9
    edited April 2015

The Purest and Clearest Noise Free Tone you can get out of your rig.
    imageimage
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PureTonePedalsPureTonePedals Frets: 9
    edited April 2015
    A good buffer is always a good solution for long cables. 
    Check out this demo:
    The Purest and Clearest Noise Free Tone you can get out of your rig.
    imageimage
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1646
    I've never really understood the buffering thing very well. However, I have owned a couple of pedals that got noisy unless run straight after my TU 2 so I know it does something.

Ok Eric, buffers 101!

In a properly engineered and organized  string of audio effects devices such as you might find (less and less now!) in a recording studio, compressors, reverb units, enhancers, di-da, there is no need for a buffer because the output of the mixer/interface/tape machines was at Low Impedance and that means that said output was virtually unaffected in terms of frequency response or level by whatever was connected to it (input impedances were almost always 10,000 Ohms, often much higher) .

But electric guitars are not like that! They have a relatively high output impedance (aka Z) which is also a mad mix of inductance capacitance and just ice the cake, changes with the pickup selected and the position of the volume and tone pots!

This did not matter much when guitars plugged straight into a valve amplifier because they have a very high input Z, of 1,000,000 Ohms, the "magic meg".and since all the processing took place inside the amp, all was cool.

Then came the Fuzz Box (or whatever the first pedal was!) and unfortunately it was very tricky to get a 1 meg input Z with transistors (not impossible by any means but you needed extra devices and peeps were cheap) .

So the very early pedal *****d with the guitar's signal when on and left it at the mercy of everything else further down the line when off because they were BADLY ENGINEERED! (at least from a technicians point of view) .

Good pedals IMHO incorporate neutral buffers to isolate the guitar from further messin' from daft TB pedals and cables.

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom