The "Songs which are more difficult than they sound" thread

What's Hot

Comments

• ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Can I add "Bark at the Moon" to this? I suggested it as one of our band's covers, and now I'm regretting it. Big time.
    Lee, what part is it you find hard to play?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ddlooping said:
    Can I add "Bark at the Moon" to this? I suggested it as one of our band's covers, and now I'm regretting it. Big time.
    Lee, what part is it you find hard to play?
    There's nothing that's impossible...it's just generally harder than it sounded. Getting the consistency of the rhythm, making sure there aren't any fluffs in the silly fast-picked bits, getting the feel right in the solos etc.

That and the fact that wherever he could've chosen his notes to make things easy for those of us who don't have 360 degree movement in all directions in our finger joints, he decided to do otherwise :P
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    :D
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I'm not very good with Bark At The Moon either - the rhythm parts are fine but the solos have some tricky positions, not to mention those fucking mad alternate-picked runs at the end of the solo - those are very tough indeed.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    digitalscream;47936" said:
    a lot of ozzys solo songs sound way easier than they are.
    I dont know for example.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3907
    Danny1969 said:

Under the bridge, RHCP, the intros a bitch to get right

Brown eyed girl, easy enough but so easy to screw up the intro when your on your own :)

For sex on fire it's the drummers who generally get it wrong in my experience 

A lot of the U2 stuff is harder than it looks, I see a lot of cover bands simplify stuff like Vertigo, Pride and such
    Capo on 2nd fret is easier.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Suffer little children by The Smiths is a nightmare.
    viz said:
    Design for life by the MSP
    I'm alright with that. Should be after 17 or so years mind.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Deadman mentioned the Smiths, which reminded me of Heaven Knows I'm Miserable now - surprisingly difficult.

Also - any of Marty Friedman's solos in Megadeth, which are usually quite fast but not THAT fast, leading you to believe they might be relatively easy but no, not in the slightest. Fucking impossible, he uses the weirdest positions imaginable but sounds amazing... bastard.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • vizviz Frets: 10697
    @deadman well you're a better man than me! I get my knickers in a twist over the arped chords at the beginning, well for verse 2 actually, trying to play them at a good volume after that loud chorus always makes my right hand stumble. Should use a compressor really.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    viz said:
    @deadman well you're a better man than me! I get my knickers in a twist over the arped chords at the beginning, well for verse 2 actually, trying to play them at a good volume after that loud chorus always makes my right hand stumble. Should use a compressor really.
    Evidently. I'm honestly not that good after all these years, but find that song relatively painless to play. A lot of the songs I choose to play are played in that style (must be The Smiths/Johnny Marr influence!) so I may have an upper hand. I still consider myself to be pretty shit though
    %-(
    Bucket said:
    Deadman mentioned the Smiths, which reminded me of Heaven Knows I'm Miserable now - surprisingly difficult.

Also - any of Marty Friedman's solos in Megadeth, which are usually quite fast but not THAT fast, leading you to believe they might be relatively easy but no, not in the slightest. Fucking impossible, he uses the weirdest positions imaginable but sounds amazing... bastard.
    I'm not a big lover of that song so can't comment as I don't play it. However, adding loads of reverb and chorus to most Smiths songs helps!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10412
    Deadman said:
    Danny1969 said:

Under the bridge, RHCP, the intros a bitch to get right

Brown eyed girl, easy enough but so easy to screw up the intro when your on your own :)

For sex on fire it's the drummers who generally get it wrong in my experience 

A lot of the U2 stuff is harder than it looks, I see a lot of cover bands simplify stuff like Vertigo, Pride and such
    Capo on 2nd fret is easier.
    Yeah but it should be played like a man dammit :)

Rebel Yell, Billy idol ............ the intro sounds like 2 parts but he's playing the single note riff with his thumb and the double stops with his fingers.  Cool part
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    edited October 2013
    The little jazzy solo in the stranglers golden brown is a bu**er. The rhythm varies as well but that's not bad when you get the hang of it.
  • minimoogminimoog Frets: 128
    Danny1969 said:
    Rebel Yell, Billy idol ............ the intro sounds like 2 parts but he's playing the single note riff with his thumb and the double stops with his fingers.  Cool part

That's easy - we split it between the two guitarists :D

Speaking of the Smiths/ Johnny Marr, I was really surprised at how not difficult This Charming Man is when I looked at it last week. To a learner like me it sounds devilish hard but actually it isn't that bad at all. The Allison Bennett youtube lessons on Smiths' stuff are great. 

(Necrothread!)
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    The intro to The Boxer by Simon and Garfunkel always puzzled me.  Never got even close to playing it "right"
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    The intro to The Boxer by Simon and Garfunkel always puzzled me.  Never got even close to playing it "right"
    Try this as a basic position and follow his picking pattern, there's a bit of movement 

E
    G
    D
    Bb

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    viz said:
    That's like queen. The structure for killer queen has so many trip-up points it's a nightmare.
    Queen songs in general, I think.  It's amazing how many times I've been in covers bands, we've picked a (seemingly simple) Queen song, then it's suddenly a case of "Um... Err...  Okay, this is actually a lot more complicated than we thought..."

I still have nightmares of one band doing 'Now I'm Here' - I think we all knew our parts, it was just rare that we all remembered them all at the same time.  Sounded bloody great when it all came together though!
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Pride by U2,  simple enough but try and play it as rhythmic and clean as he does, actually there's a lot of U2 songs like that, sound easy until you try and do it. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    For playing and singing?

Goodbye Sky Harbour by Jimmy Eat World... it just doesn't work for me