The "Songs which are more difficult than they sound" thread

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    @Gassage

He looks like he does a lot of hybrid picking with plectrum AND fingers !

As if things weren't tough enough.

:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16099
    DEAD OR ALIVE - BON JOVI .......THE 12 STRING INTRO MOTIF...........
    it's not difficult to play at all but its a complete bastard to keep in perfect time with drums etc ....................its also a very noticeable cock-up as a live tune 'cos you're very exposed out there on your own with it until the rest of the band kicks in AND you have to do it 3 more times !
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1562
    stratman3142;990712" said:
    Yes, I used to play We Are The Champions in a band and it's a tricky one. I've got a chord chart I worked out, if you want to compare notes.
    Thanks @stratman3142, fortunately I have the song all worked out using a mix of tab from an old magazine transcription and a rather good Youtube lesson. My point was more in keeping with the thread in that Queen songs are often more difficult to play than they seem, those guys were all extremely talented musicians and composers.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    My point was more in keeping with the thread in that Queen songs are often more difficult to play than they seem, those guys were all extremely talented musicians and composers.
    I loved Scandal as a kid. Can't believe May did the guitars for that song in one take.
  • Rocker said:
    The Boxer (Simon and Garfunkel) intro. Never got remotely close
    while on the subject of acoustic music, I'd say 99% of James Taylor's guitar parts are hellishly difficult to play and get the same feel as him.
    Mrs TheOtherDennis gave me the book of his greatest hits album, and I was determined to nail Something, on the basis that "I refuse to be beaten by a fucking hippy."

Needless to say... :\">
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • vizviz Frets: 10697
    @Fuzzdog said, Queen material in general is a lot harder and more complicated than it would appear. We are working on We Are The Champions and it's plainly obvious that Mercury and May are masters of their craft. Definitely not strum along music!
    Yes, I used to play We Are The Champions in a band and it's a tricky one. I've got a chord chart I worked out, if you want to compare notes.

to me, getting the queen songs sounding good is all about using the right inversions.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I'm just gonna throw this in - at 4:00.

I mean it sounds hard, but believe me it's even more difficult than it sounds. Really, really stupid. Can't get my fucking fingers around it to save my life.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    "My Sharona" by The Knack. Sounds simple but the timing, especially with bass and two guitars can be a nightmare.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sunny by Bobby Hebb gets me - the chords are ok, but its the up a half step each verse that gets me... especially when I'm singing it.. its one of those that has to be "in" rather than read...   after verse 4 or 5 you've covered a lot of fretboard "real estate"
  • oh that and any song where I've temporarily forgotten the first line.. not that difficult when the rep runs into hundreds of songs, this often happens when one song hasn't been in the list for a couple of months... funnily enough solos are easier to remember I find..
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    Spellbound by Siouxsie and the Banshees. All picked like McGeoch would have done it is super hard. Hybrid picked or fingerpicked it's fairly easy. I do the latter of course :)