20w 6505+ finally!

What's Hot
Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/peavey-unveils-classic-20mh-and-6505mh-mini-heads-614233/3 ;

Not sure how close to the real thing it'll sound with those tubes, but it otherwise looks like a dinky little recording/home amp for the modern metallers.
'Awibble'
Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    Not sure it will ever quite do the brootz properly with EL84's
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    It'll sound like a 6534+ rather than a 6505 i reckon. But Misha Mansoor from Periphery uses a 6534 and he sounds massive. 
    Not a question of br00tz or not, just different I think
    'Awibble'
  • fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    Hertz32 said:
    It'll sound like a 6534+ rather than a 6505 i reckon. But Misha Mansoor from Periphery uses a 6534 and he sounds massive. 
    Not a question of br00tz or not, just different I think
    Different I agree just thinking of the typical 6505 clientele :D
  • Wonder why they went with 20 watts rather than doing a 60 watt version aimed at clawing back lost sales to the 50 watt EVH.  The 20 watt puts it in a weird bracket for a metal amp, I wouldn't say that would be enough power for the average metal guitarist so it makes it essentially a home amp, on paper.
    Loads of people buy the 112 combo and hack it into a 60w head and cab. I agree they should have just released the combo as a head, but you can pick the combo up for about £300 so its not the end of the world
    'Awibble'
    my Laney IRT Studio is *only* 15w and still beats the shit out of my eardrums if I crank it though.
    But a 60w head with 6V6's and a built in attenuator would make FAR nore sense
    'Awibble'
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7964
    edited January 2015
    True, but I meant doing a smaller box size head with a 60 watt power section.  Part of the benefit of the 50 watt EVH head is it is fairly small/light for what it is.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3012
    Well I want one...
    Yeah I suppose, i'm just glad it doesnt have the proper tubes in it in a lunchbox format like a Victory countess, i'd have spaffed myself and sold everything to buy one if it was. 
    'Awibble'
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3012
    Thing is I'm not particularly Metal or Brootalz. I just want something to plug my EBMM Axis into and do bad Van Halen on
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1682
    I quite like the look of the tweed one, I wonder what they'll be charging for these?
    £400+ is my guess, maybe £470. My IRT was £400 at retail, but peavey will charge a premium for the 6505+ logo, despite the factbthey have the same tubes. 
    'Awibble'
  • Quite like the look of the 20w Classic head, seems to make sense and would probably appeal to a lot of people
  • I'd rather it was a 30 watter with big valves - I've yet to hear a metal amp with small valves really cut that huge, whumpy thing at the bottom. Maybe they've cracked it though?
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2384
    ^ Yeah. And still too loud for cranking at home (at least for most people) anyway.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72821
    They're aiming squarely at the Mini Rectifier with that 6505MH.

I didn't find the Mini Rectifier sounded like the proper one either though. It's not so much to do with the EL84s, more the smaller transformers and power supply I think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24721
    ICBM said:

I didn't find the Mini Rectifier sounded like the proper one either though. It's not so much to do with the EL84s, more the smaller transformers and power supply I think.
    +1 

The mini rec is nothing like a proper one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    As I said on the other post, it grinds my gears when companies put out press releases without prices, it's nonsense.

How can you get excited about it if you've got no idea if it's gonna cost £300 or £1,000?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • No matter how much it costs I bet it's a lot of money to drop on something that will be inaudible over a drummer in the primary style it's aimed at.

I reckon it won't sound as good as a sim at low volumes too.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ICBM;487967" said:

I've no idea what it is, but even on low power, big valve amps, you can hear they're not 6v6 or el84. The orange rocker 30 was the odd one - I didn't understand how an el84 amp could sound so great, until I realised it was el34.

The Jim root terror is the best I've heard so far, but even that didn't hold a candle to a rockerverb, despite having a very similar preamp.