Les Paul tone knobs

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• How do you know where to drill the holes? Do you get a template?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72350
    How do you know where to drill the holes? Do you get a template?
    You fit the machineheads using just the front collars, doing them up firm but not *too* tight, so you can move them slightly. Carefully adjust the positions of them until you're totally happy - you have the choice of putting them in a straight line or following the headstock edge, basically - and then mark through the holes.

The best method of all is to mark using the drill which will only just go through the hole - ie too large for actually drilling the screw hole - which guarantees the mark is exactly centred - then drill using the smaller drill you need. Put some tape around it to mark the length of the screw just so you don't drill right though the front too :).

If only Gibson did it like that…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11876
    Please, I beg of you, take this to a tech to do....I'd worry about it going horribly wrong.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    gearaddict;501429" said:
    I'm reluctant to send he guitar back. It has grown on me colour-wise and I love the smell.
    Well if you love the smell of it then how could you possibly return it ;)
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3623
    Please, I beg of you, take this to a tech to do....I'd worry about it going horribly wrong.
    Wisdom there.

I daren't imagine the consequences of a diy job going wrong.
    :-O
  • I've ordered a couple of replacement robo heads direct from Tronical. Tired of waiting on Thomann. I'll ask them for some money back but I'm not hopeful.
  • Just wanted to say thanks for the excellent advice above and in the other thread. I have my new tuners fitted and the setup pretty much as I like it (still tweaking!) and I absolutely love this guitar. If it hadn't been for the advice on here I think it would have been returned. There's something about the way this guitar feels that just makes me want to play and makes me play better than I usually do. And the tone is awesome. I think I may be a Gibson convert. I guess they have lasted this long for a reason! :)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeehaa!
  • I took the "eTune" truss rod cover off and replaced it with a "Standard" one. Does this make me a bad person? ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I took the "eTune" truss rod cover off and replaced it with a "Standard" one. Does this make me a bad person? ;)

Not at all. Have a wisdom.
    I took the "eTune" truss rod cover off and replaced it with a "Standard" one. Does this make me a bad person? ;)
    No, think of it as a statement of intent.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895
    edited February 2015
    Just wanted to say thanks for the excellent advice above and in the other thread. I have my new tuners fitted and the setup pretty much as I like it (still tweaking!) and I absolutely love this guitar. If it hadn't been for the advice on here I think it would have been returned. There's something about the way this guitar feels that just makes me want to play and makes me play better than I usually do. And the tone is awesome. I think I may be a Gibson convert. I guess they have lasted this long for a reason! :)

Yeah....soooooo....sentitback. :)

Such a relief that this episode is over...I'm sure you all agree. ;)
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    gearaddict;529259" said:

So what was the straw that broke the camel's back? I thought you loved the sound and got it playing nice?

I'm now going to keep my eye on thomann to see how much they put it up for as B stock because I really liked the top on it.

• underdog said:
    gearaddict;529259" said:

So what was the straw that broke the camel's back? I thought you loved the sound and got it playing nice?

I'm now going to keep my eye on thomann to see how much they put it up for as B stock because I really liked the top on it.

Mainly the setup - I thought I just had to tweak it a bit but actually I found I couldn't get rid of the buzz on the low E. I ended up with the action so high it was just meh to play. And it absolutely would not stay in tune. It just annoyed me more and more each time I picked it up so I thought I better send it back while it was within the 30 days. I'll probably regret it. The top was exceptional and it did smell very nice. :)
    And it absolutely would not stay in tune.
    That's quite a damning statement given that it had the robot tuners which are supposed to do exactly that.

• underdog said:
    gearaddict;529259" said:

Mainly the setup - I thought I just had to tweak it a bit but actually I found I couldn't get rid of the buzz on the low E. I ended up with the action so high it was just meh to play. And it absolutely would not stay in tune. It just annoyed me more and more each time I picked it up so I thought I better send it back while it was within the 30 days. I'll probably regret it. The top was exceptional and it did smell very nice. :)
    The top and the smell, sadly, have nothing to do with how good a guitar it is. 

Glad you're sorted, though. Better luck next time? :)