EVH III?

What's Hot
John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
edited August 2013 in Amps
As I look around at potential new amps I saw the EVH  (probably the 50W version) - I'm sure a few guys had them on MR.  Any thoughts on them or seen one for sale?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Everything I've heard from them sounded really really amazing.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    The more clips I check out the more I think I want one -  I'm not 100% sure the 50w can really function as 3 channels - I suspect I'll want more gain on ch2 and less on ch1 but I can use pedals to sort that -   just trying to find someone selling one for a decent price.
  • bntylrbntylr Frets: 8
    Tried one in Andertons a few weeks ago (50w version) and was mighty impressed. 

Wasn't 100 percent keen on the cleans, a little dull I thought, but the high gain sounds were brutal.
  • Get the 100 and your amp GAS will be over! Mine is!
  • karltonekarltone Frets: 44
    I've got the 50 and the 100 watt version, both great amps!
    www.karltone.co.uk    Dealer in Valves and bits and bobs   www.facebook.com/karltonevalves
    karltone said:
    I've got the 50 and the 100 watt version, both great amps!

Ah - perfect -  and you want to sell me the 50W? ;-)

Quick question - how do you find the balance of channels 1 and 2?
  • I didn't like the 50 at all. It had more gain than the 100 which for me is OTT and the balance between channels one and two was a joke. 
  • karltonekarltone Frets: 44
    The balance is workable for me live. If you have the gain set above halfway the volume difference is just right, you might get some hair on the clean depending on what guitar, pickups etc your using, but i quite like it that way. I am toying with getting rid of one of them, don't know which yet though.
    www.karltone.co.uk    Dealer in Valves and bits and bobs   www.facebook.com/karltonevalves
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    karltone said:
    The balance is workable for me live. If you have the gain set above halfway the volume difference is just right, you might get some hair on the clean depending on what guitar, pickups etc your using, but i quite like it that way. I am toying with getting rid of one of them, don't know which yet though.

l :-) Well if you decide to sell the 50w I have cash waiting depending how much you want for it :-)
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    edited August 2013
    Just out of interest, are these amps the same-sounding as the Peavey 5150s?
    Kebabkid said:
    Just out of interest, are these amps the same-sounding as the Peavey 5150s?
    They are both capable of very high gain sounds but they have a slighty different flavour and the new ones have an extra channel.
    Another question for the guys who own one...

Before I end up buying a new 50W model in the next couple of days,   I just saw a used 100W not far from me for a similar price (ish).

I didn't realise that only the 50w has midi switching - that could make integrating the bigger amp into my rig a bit messy, I don't want to have to add an rjm gizmo or similar and bump up the cost even more,  can the 100W head be controlled by the G system switching?

• i doubt it as the 100w footswitch is a 9 pin (?) jobby

i doubt it as the 100w footswitch is a 9 pin (?) jobby

Thanks - that's a shame - the exta cost and hassle means a 50W is the way to go... just a shame no one is selling one.
  • 100 watter is a 7 pin jobber
    100 watter is a 7 pin jobber
    Thanks but it's still a pain as I'd have to get extra gear to integrate one in my system and more annoying that someone is selling one near me for a decent price lol
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 838
    edited September 2013
    Tried the 50 combo last Saturday - not impressed at all! I quite fancied the look of it but nowhere near as good a tone as the 100 IMHO!
    Tried the 50 combo last Saturday - not impressed at all!
    Interesting - i'd expect a very similar tone to the head but cab size etc could be making a difference -  what was wrong with it?
  • Far too much gain not enough bottom end and nowhere near as warm as my 100. Gutted I was coz I fancied the same tone but in a smaller package for smaller gigs.
    edited September 2013
    Could be that a speaker swap would improve that but the smaller box probably didn't help.  

Now that the combo's are out, I should investigate as they would be very useful for small gigs, with my rehearsal board in the loop it could be a nice setup.....  depending on the sound of couse!

Edit - just realised they are a 2x12 so the cab size shouldn't be an issue,  I wonder if they revoiced it slightly from the head?