EVH III?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    I bought one of the 50's recently for a side project I have going which is mainly going to be 80's rock. 

I tested it back to back with the 100 through the EVH 2x12 and was really impressed with both. I was only really interested in the 50 but Andertons had to get the 50 from the warehouse for me so said test the 100 whilst you wait which I duly obliged on. 

They really do sound identical. Yes, the 50 has a hair more gain in the crunch channel but apart from that there was nothing it in. 

I did find with the shared channels 1 and 2 that even with the gain maxed in channel 2 that channel 1 was still pretty clean (it did have a touch of hair to it but I was using a Charvel San Dimas with Duncan distortions in the bridge). The clean is a touch quieter than channel 2, however, I suspect in a live environment it wouldn't make much difference being a tad quieter as if you're using channel 2 as a high gain channel, the better cut through on the clean would mean the difference in volume wouldn't make any odds I suspect. 

For "cleans" I tend to use a volume pedal as a roll off anyhow so suspect channel 1 won't get used really anyhow. 

What is so impressive about the 50 is the tone in such a small and light head.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    Welcome over R! @fastboy
    Kebabkid said:
    Welcome over R! @fastboy
    Thanks Kostas. Glad to see we're still going in some format :)
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Thanks for the info Ryan - really confirms everything I had thought about the 50W...   just debating whether I keep looking for a used 50 or bite the bullet and get a new one...  I'm in no rush though -  plenty of amps here already....
    Go and give em a go John and then make your excuses not to buy on the day.

I really couldn't tell any difference in crunch and lead channels between the two in the same room, same cab and in the exact same spot more importantly absolutely back to back.
  • Twas good to see you again Ryan- for me I still haven't heard a 50 that sounds as good as my 100 - I actually haven't heard a 100 as good as it either! I've had both a 50 and a 100 since I got my ivory 100 and 4x12 and I sold em both - neither sounded as good!
  • I've not personally had the 50/100 sat side by side but have tried them.  Personally I prefer the feature set on the 100 watter.

I've heard several A/B comparisons and they are close but the 100 does sound thicker and meaner in the low mids.  Here is one clip that is still online - the first waveform is the 50 watter through the EVH412, second is the 100 watter through the EVH412, same mic position, then it goes to a Diezel cab.  Realistically they're close enough that you could EQ them to be pretty similar, but on my headphones (ATH M50s) I can definitely hear an audible difference.  There used to be an even better A/B comparison but it is no longer online.

Twas good to see you again Ryan- for me I still haven't heard a 50 that sounds as good as my 100 - I actually haven't heard a 100 as good as it either! I've had both a 50 and a 100 since I got my ivory 100 and 4x12 and I sold em both - neither sounded as good!
    AFAIK there have been some revisions to the 100 but nobody knows anything for sure.  I've read of a few rock guitarists/producers experiencing differences between models but Fender/EVH reckon none of the changes should have affected the tone.