Jazz Stuff (the thread formerly known as "Just ordered some jazz guitar books...")

What's Hot

Comments

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    edited February 2015
    That reminds me, I must dust off my one and only jazz book. I've been going from loose sheet music and tab for Autumn Leaves and Tune Up, but I think I'm better placed now to carry on with the book as I think I'll understand a bit more.

It's this one by Phil Capone, Exploring Jazz Guitar: An Introduction to Jazz Harmony, Technique and Improvisation.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    hobbio said:
    That reminds me, I must dust off my one and only jazz book. I've been going from loose sheet music and tab for Autumn Leaves and Tune Up, but I think I'm better placed now to carry on with the book as I think I'll understand a bit more.
    Think I may well be purchasing a few more jazz books (ooer) at some point - I'm thinking of some chord-melody oriented material. I do recommend working with the two Emily Remler videos I linked to earlier in the thread btw - they had a big jpositive impact on me - start with the "Bebop and Swing Guitar" one and then have a look at the "Advanced Jazz and Latin Improvisation" one (and do not let the use of the word "advanced" put you off). Both seem to be posted freely on the YouTube these days.
    hobbio said:

It's this one by Phil Capone, Exploring Jazz Guitar: An Introduction to Jazz Harmony, Technique and Improvisation.
    Sounds like an excellent book, judging by the reviews.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2599
    edited February 2015
    Megii does the Les Wise Licks book have a decent selection of short 251 licks (maj and min?).  It's the one area I think the David Baker is a bit lacking.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    edited February 2015
    Blueingreen said: Megii does the Les Wise Licks book have a decent selection of short 251 licks (maj and min?).  It's the one area I think the David Baker is a bit lacking.

I'd say it is a great book, and has loads of major 2-5-1 stuff (indeed much of the book is major 2-5-1's), but sadly no minor 2-5-1 licks - have to admit I find that a bit of an irritating omission. I'm just looking through the "1001 Jazz Licks" book I also got, and although it's not guitar specific, and you need to read music and be able to figure out your own fingerings - that one
    does have about 80 minor 2-5-1 licks, as well as minor 2-5-1-6's and 2-5's and other stuff... I'd say it's an excellent book, FWIW.
  • It's specifically the short 2-5-1s I'm looking at.  The David Baker has a good selection of minor 2-5-1s (125 in fact).  It also has 100 half-bar 3-6-2-5 licks.  You could argue there's material there that can be adapted for short 2-5-1s but I'd rather have the convenience of good selection of short 2-5-1s, maj and min.  If anyone knows of a good licks book offering that I'd be interested to know.  
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    So, I've pulled out that book and the CD is missing :(

That's really not like me to lose it. I've emailed Phil Capone through his website to see if replacements are available.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• Megii said:

Think I may well be purchasing a few more jazz books (ooer) at some point - I'm thinking of some chord-melody oriented material.
    Have you seen this video of Kurt Rosenwinkel on chord melody?  It's just brilliant.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Megii said:

Think I may well be purchasing a few more jazz books (ooer) at some point - I'm thinking of some chord-melody oriented material.
    Have you seen this video of Kurt Rosenwinkel on chord melody?  It's just brilliant.

Hey, that is really great, cheers very much for posting that @knuckleberryfinn. ; :)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    hobbio said:
    I think it should be the Jazz thread now....
    Wisdom !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    hobbio said:
    So, I've pulled out that book and the CD is missing :(

That's really not like me to lose it. I've emailed Phil Capone through his website to see if replacements are available.
    Bummer - Hope you can get something sorted H.
    Jalapeno said:
    hobbio said:
    I think it should be the Jazz thread now....
    Wisdom !
    I think about it, but it can stay "Jazz Stuff" for now... :D
    Wouldn't it be great if there was a book called something like "Just do what this book says, and in a couple of years time, you will be a devastatingly brilliant and original jazz guitarist - fame, money and adulation will be yours" - I'd buy it anyway. Where is that book I ask?!   :((
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Megii said:
    Wouldn't it be great if there was a book called something like "Just do what this book says, and in a couple of years time, you will be a devastatingly brilliant and original jazz guitarist - fame, money and adulation will be yours" - I'd buy it anyway. Where is that book I ask?!   :((
    Actually, probably buy any decent one, stick to it for 2 years and you probably would be pretty handy ! ;)

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:

Megii said:
    Actually, probably buy any decent one, stick to it for 2 years and you probably would be pretty handy ! ;)
    You're just saying that to make me feel better aren't you @Jalapeno? Actually someone did once describe my playing as "devastating"... :D
    Megii said:
    Jalapeno said:

Megii said:
    You're just saying that to make me feel better aren't you @Jalapeno? Actually someone did once describe my playing as "devastating"... :D
    Mate - I've got a monster pile of Jazz Guitar tutorial books ;)

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
    Megii said:
    Jalapeno said:

Megii said:
    Mate - I've got a monster pile of Jazz Guitar tutorial books ;)
    That is the way it seems to go. I really just need to give myself a kick up the bum and do some serious practice. :)
    Yes, yes we do !!!!!

Feedback
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    Roy Castle was right "Dedication’s what you need" ;)
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    GuyBoden said:
    Roy Castle was right "Dedication’s what you need" ;)
    He so was! @GuyBoden - actually, I guess I am more dedicated in recent years than I was in my youth, wish I'd been a bit more focused then. But that's hindsight of course, ah well. Btw, you never followed up on the responses to that Led Bib track you posted - I'm just interested regarding your take on that stuff. :)