Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

2015 Challenge: WezV Harley Benton mini guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16676
    I only have one kid :) The mini rg is for me. Although I have had some mates lay dibs for there kids if I do decide to move it on
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    couple of coats of sealer now on the red - this mockup is making me rethink the aluminium plate

need to have a play with photoshop and virtual guitar builders to see what I will do
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3905
    I'm not surprised that this is looking so good so soon.
  • As I said, the red is looking ace and especially with the black scratchplate and hardware. 

yeah, I am almost contemplating keeping the existing plate and keeping it with 2 humbuckers.  

but I was looking to do this cheap which means using parts I have  - i.e. a gibson 500T humbucker.     if I go with 2 humbuckers I will need to buy something in (either one to match the gibson, or a complete new set).  but if I stay with the single pickup idea I will need to make a new scratchplate - probably a few hours to get right but I already have plastics and aluminium available for this

decisions!!

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6390
    Thread made of pure win !  More pictures, pictures of everything !!!!!! ;)

:-bd
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    started making the template for the ric - although I freehand drew it and am not yet happy with the shape of the horns.   may see if i can trim this one a bit or maybe start again if i trim it too far, but to give you an idea what I am up to.   When copying a shape I normally print out a full size version (or scaled down in this case) and glue it to the template, but the print ran out of ink  :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow amazing Wez. Skills beyond comprehension. 

Cream or white binding for these?

I have just received cream and white - one for each guitar.   The ric style will probably end up purple if that helps... hmm, almost certainly will be getting  white plate (well, 3mm clear acrylic sprayed white on the back to look a bit different to normal white pickguard material)

but will cream work on the rg, and what plate would match that?

• enteeentee Frets: 93
    @WezV - where do you source your scratchplate material?  I would like to get hold of some blue sparkle (a la Gretsch), for my project as a front piece....
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6390
    WezV said:

Cream or white binding for these?

Think I need more private time !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    entee;508537" said:
    @WezV - where do you source your scratchplate material?  I would like to get hold of some blue sparkle (a la Gretsch), for my project as a front piece....
    That's a bit specific. Either make a clear one and spray the back or mix some blue glitter resin and pour your own
    I have seen sparkly gretsch style binding made by pouring resin onto a sheet of glass before... Not tried it myself though
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27508
    WezV said:

You're almost doing this stuff faster than I can read about it.

That stain & veneer looks very nice.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    WezV said:
    entee;508537" said:
    That's a bit specific. Either make a clear one and spray the back or mix some blue glitter resin and pour your own
    @entee  I thought of another option - you could look for a drum wrap and glue it to a single ply pickguard to thicken it up or you may be able to find some blue sparkle acrylic sheet with a bit of searching

many ways to skin a cat
  • Since I'm doing an auto vinyl wrapped HB mod, I know for sure you can get auto vinyl with sparkle effect. It would be easy as pie to do. Just take the original scratchplate and apply vinyl. If you ever want to go back, just heat and peel off. No damage done. Try Ebay or for really good stuff try www.mdpsupplies.co.uk
  • enteeentee Frets: 93
    cheers @WezV - I had thought about drum binding actually.  I may either see if I can get a scratchplate made that will cover the whole front of the SG, or do the pour/glitter method  :)
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
    edited February 2015
    Since I'm doing an auto vinyl wrapped HB mod, I know for sure you can get auto vinyl with sparkle effect. It would be easy as pie to do. Just take the original scratchplate and apply vinyl. If you ever want to go back, just heat and peel off. No damage done. Try Ebay or for really good stuff try www.mdpsupplies.co.uk
    how does it stand up to a high wear area like a scratchplate?
    entee said:
    cheers @WezV - I had thought about drum binding actually.  I may either see if I can get a scratchplate made that will cover the whole front of the SG, or do the pour/glitter method  :)
    i wouldn't use the pouring method for anything large.   its good for doing vintage repro stuff, but small definitely works better.   Tor-tis faux tortoiseshell is done by pouring epoxy resin of different tints too.   you need a good quality one like west systems which is quite pricey but dries very hard and polishes well.   i think pouring onto oiled glass with a barrier taped to (oversized) shape is the way i have seen it done - but its a while ago.
    edited February 2015
    so, binding.

firstly i taped off the top of the guitar and routed the ledge

test fit white and cream binding

decided the white was the obvious choice

so started sticking it in place.  the tap is still holding the join closed

quite liking the red/black/white scheme so will probably keep this plate 

headstock will be bound soon
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom