School me on the Mule!

ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2028
I loves me some Southern Rock / Boogie and I've just today bought my first Gov't Mule album (The Deep End Vol 1).

I love it and I'm glad, since they've been on my radar for YEARS but I never seem to have got around to dipping my toe in - other than listening to the odd track on Spotify. 

Any fans? If so, what albums are the recommended ones?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11357
    I think it's the first albim, "Gov't Mule", is brilliant.

First track is a short capella track, and the second track starts with a guitar tone that will bring you to tears. There is so much meat in the guitar tone I'm surprised PETA haven't been lobbying to have it banned.

They've also done a version of Dark Side Of The Moon, which includes a great version of Shine On You Crazy Diamon (I know, I know, it's a 3 CD set) and also an utter shocker of a cover of Great Gig In The Sky, which sounds like the vocalist was either on fire or being eaten by sharks.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6541
    edited March 2015
    Total fanboi here....High and Mighty is a great one, but then they all are EXCEPT the dub remix album Mighty High, which is a massive departure and an acquired taste to say the least. If you can get hold of the DVD Tail of Two Cities, I heartedly recommend it. If you're not already an Allman Brothers Band fan, check out their final studio album Hittin The Note, which features GM's Warren Haynes on guitar and some vocals and he co-wrote most of it too. As near as damnit to the Mule sound without being the Mule.

• ellangusellangus Frets: 250
    Déja Voodoo is pretty good.

Bare knuckle pickups must have done wonders for Warren Haynes' career.

I shamefully knew nothing of them until I I spoke to Tim Mills when I bought a Mule pickup in the early BKP days and asked him "Why Mule?"
    Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3431
    I enjoy them for a track or two - great tones and playing, but the songs are not great. A bit like Joe B in that way.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2028
    Cheers for the suggestions - I'll try for the first album next, I think. 

• OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    I like Hanging by a Thread, Life Before Insanity, Deja Voodoo and High & Mighty. All cracking. Shout! is ok but it's not their best I found it a little bland. They haven't done anything bad... There's a lot of live/bootleg stuff out there. I don't own either Deep End albums or the s/t debut (missed out on that oops). But what I've heard, what I've got, it's all good and got a firm place in my collection. :)
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/