Unusual Harp Guitar

ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
Links to Nathan Sheppard Guitars - thought you might want to have a look.

With my thanks to @ThePrettyDamned for alerting me to Nathan's work in my P90 Pickups... discussion, cheers  :)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33867
    Love it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1270
    If you like this sort of thing I refer you to...

...the fanned fret baritone harps are particularly awesome, even if you don't actually touch the "extra" strings the sympathetic resonance makes it sound like a guitar with a BFO subwoofer.

Dave's work is fabulous by the way, I had a brief play with one of his more conventional instruments, this one I believe...

..and as well as possibly being the single most beautiful man-made object I've ever fondled it was so nice to play that I wanted to cry when I had to put it down :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Love it ;) What's the purpose of the hole in the side? Not really familiar with anything that doesn't have some kind of pick-up in!
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1270
    Basically it's an additional soundhole which projects a little bit of the guitars proper "voice" (as you'd hear if you were in front of it) up towards the player, kind of like an acoustic monitor, and yes, it really does work....
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27792
    Iirc ( and it's quite possible that I don't ), Nathan made that 2-3 years ago now as a special commission.  

It might even have been featured in "Guitarist", which used to be a fairly popular magazine until one of its sister publications was fracked.  At which point it sunk without trace.

Shame Nathan has similarly sunk.  :(
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    @TTony, I gathered that things were not as they should be for Nathan.  I hadn't heard of him before.  Nice work, shame.
    What happened to him and the guitars, do you know?  Obviously his website is still up, or is it now orphaned?

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27792
    @TTony, I gathered that things were not as they should be for Nathan.  I hadn't heard of him before.  Nice work, shame.
    What happened to him and the guitars, do you know?  Obviously his website is still up, or is it now orphaned?

Where to start ...

Keeping it as factual as I can;

1.  I'm a fan of his guitars.
    2.  He made some great instruments and used some really top-quality materials.
    3.  But it's generally accepted that he over-promised and under-delivered and so upset a number of people.
    4.  His customer-relationship and general business skills were not as "well developed" as his guitar making skills.

The website hasn't been touched for a few years.  I don't know whether Nathan leaves it there in the hope that one day he'll return to guitar-making, or whether he's just forgotten about it.

Reading between the lines ... he was a great craftsman, but it's difficult to make a living out of being a craftsman.  A family came along, and I'm sure that increased the pressure on him to make money rather than just making nice guitars.  He tried to scale up the guitar-business to make the money that way ... but it didn't go so well (see point 4 above!).  So he packed in the guitar-building and went back to building work (IIRC) to make the money. 

It's been a while since I've had any contact with him, but I've still got 1 or 2 of his guitars;

There are a few others on here with his guitars too, and with other memories of Nathan.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited October 2013
    Thanks for the insight @TTony.

I believe that both artists and craftspeople vs the business world make slightly uncomfortable bed-fellows.  It is a rare person that has the natural aptitude and the available time to bridge both worlds effectively.

It brings that old wisdom to mind "be careful what you wish for - it may come true"

Thanks for the pictures of your "one or two".

It brings to mind a story of Steve Miller doing one of his clear-outs.  At least one big barn on his land is full of gear.
    There was a video of a large semi (US truck) delivering to Guitar Centre I believe.  Acres of guitar cases.  And me with my mouth open.  And that was just the ones he was clearing out.

If I find the clip I'll post it here.  BTW how many barns do you have on your land.  Just wondering...

;)

oh and nice guitars too...
    (I think I have an old PRS SE Soapbar II from your stable, via DDLooping, that's nice too)