Recommend me some prog metal

What's Hot
boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12438
edited March 2015 in Music
Bit late to the party I know, but I've just discovered Tool. How I've missed them for so long I've no idea. So far I've got Aenemia and Lateralus, what others of theirs are good?

Who else should I be checking out? I like complex music with changes of pace, riff driven but with lots of variety. For instance I've got pretty much everything by King Crimson, Magma and Mahavishnu Orchestra.

Hit me up biatches!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7816
    A perfect circle, first 2 albums only.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7300
    Unlike most bands all tool's albums are pretty good, 10,000 is a pretty natural follow on from lateralus but opiate and undertow are less proggy and more alternative sounding.

I'd also recommend crack the skye by mastodon although its a more 70s style prog mixed with metal. 

Both Soen albums are very tooly, 

"In keeping secrets of silent earth 3" and "Good Appollo I'm burnging star IV" by coheed and cambria are both great a little more punk influence here.

arc'tan'gent and the Omega EP by earthtone9 have a similar aesthetic to some tool stuff.

Pre-heritage Opeth are a completely different thing, death metal plus folk mixed with prog but definitely worth a listen

Also check out "Season of Ashes" and possible "A Meaningless Phrase" by my band Prion Son for some fairly toolish songs. "tiny Stitches" is also quite proggy but more of an Opeth vibe.

@DrewFx also recommended a band called LesserKey in a post a few months ago, I've only given their record one listen so far but it was great as well and obviously his band Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster also fit the bill with more post-rock leanings mixed in there as well.

I'll probably think of a bunch more later and put up youtube links and stuff when im not at work.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7300
    edited March 2015
    Oh there's one good Mars Volta album too..Edit: it's called noctourniquet
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5023
    edited March 2015
    Confessor
    Watchtower
    Slauter Xtroyes
    Spaceboy
    Fates Warning
    Dark Quarterer
    Black Hole
    Loch Ness (Mexico)
    Dwarr
    Keelhaul
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12438
    Plenty to check out so far, thanks chaps. The only one I know so far (and have got already) is Crack the Skye.

Keep 'em coming.
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    OSI
    and if you like magma, also check out eskaton and xing sa
  • vizviz Frets: 10732
    Dream Theater
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    edited March 2015
    viz;556965" said:
    Dream Theater
    Hmmm, interesting. I'd have never thought of them as prog metal. Any particular album you'd recommend?
    I have heard some of their stuff but found it a bit too arty-farty tbh. I can't remember which album it was but it sounded like Yes in their OTT pretentious-rock era.

@PolarityMan. Some good stuff there, cheers man. Like what I hear so far of Soen and Lesser Key are spot on for what I'm looking for. :)
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Queensryche. Might be a bit stright metal though.

As @viz said, Dream Theater.

Latter Maiden is quite proggy.  

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited March 2015
    Voivod - Dimension Hatross, or Nothingface
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2420
    edited March 2015
    boogieman said:
    viz;556965" said:
    Dream Theater
    Hmmm, interesting. I'd have never thought of them as prog metal. Any particular album you'd recommend?
    I have heard some of their stuff but found it a bit too arty-farty tbh. I can't remember which album it was but it sounded like Yes in their OTT pretentious-rock era.

Train of Thought probably shows their metal side the most.  Great album too.

EDIT: 
    boogieman said:
     I like complex music with changes of pace, riff driven but with lots of variety.
    Then I'd check out Scenes From A Memory.  Not as metaly but it certainly covers the above.  One of my favourite albums ever.
  • PwaloPwalo Frets: 113
    beed84 said:
    boogieman said:
    viz;556965" said:
    Dream Theater

Train of Thought probably shows their metal side the most.  Great album too.

EDIT: 
    boogieman said:
     I like complex music with changes of pace, riff driven but with lots of variety.
    Then I'd check out Scenes From A Memory.  Not as metaly but it certainly covers the above.  One of my favourite albums ever.
    And Systematic Chaos....
    BloodEagle;557071" said:
    Voivod - Dimension Hatross, or Nothingface
    a big big big big yes.

Totally unique band.
    If you want metal mahavishnu then try stuff like the later Death albums, Cynic and Atheist.
    I'll have a listen, cheers.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1270
    King Crimson fan, eh? Have you come across KTU?  KC's rhythm section teamed up with mad, be-kilted Finnish accordionist (can you have 'metal' accordion?). '8 Armed Monkey' is the album I'd recommend  ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfPMsng6sgg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks, not heard of them before. Interesting. "Mental" accordion is probably a better description! Liked the Warr guitar and the general groove, not too keen on the singing though. :)
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Reverend;557529" said:
    If you want metal mahavishnu then try stuff like the later Death albums, Cynic and Atheist.

Yeah the Cynic album Focus is great. I don't even like technical death metal stuff but it is good.